Hey, the names Dillon just to get that squared away. Anyhow, I am looking to finally start the online prog band that I have quested to join for so long now. I am a drummer/keyboardist and I compose very often. My aim is to make a prog band without subjecting ourselves to a specific subgenre (prog metal, prog rock, prog hardcore etc). I am very serious about this. Any band member is expendable if they are not meeting my requirements which are not unreasonable. I am also looking for more experienced musicians, not beginners. Here is some info:

Influences
  • Between The Buried and Me
  • Dream Theater
  • The Mars Volta
  • Animals As Leaders
  • Glass Hammer
  • Porcupine Tree
  • Scale The Summit
  • Tool
  • Three (3)
  • Saga

See full list of fav bands on profile.

Band Members

Female Vocals: TBH (not 100% necessary)
Vocals: Bassbeat77 (no screaming or growling)
Guitar: Musta Kuura
Guitar: Pspsean
Bass: TBH (preferably a 5 string)
Drums: Piscasis
Keyboard: Piscasis

Requirements
  • Must have msn
  • Must be on msn at least 3x a work week
  • Must have clean quality recording gear
  • Must have intermediate or advanced skill in instrument
  • Must be respectful of other's compositions
  • Must be interested in prog music and not just wanting to join any online band available
  • Must provide audio sample of themselves playing to ensure you do not suck

Update: Oct/18/2009

We now have a full band except for the vocalists so I will make a new thread in the near future, when this one starts waning, specifically for vocalists.
Last edited by Piscasis at Oct 31, 2009,
i've played guitar for about 7 years and btbam is on of my favorite bands. i also love mars volta and tool. i've seen tool and btbam live
Last edited by shmoener at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by PurpleDinosaur
I'm in. I play bass. Let's make babies.

Ok I'll need some sort of sample of your skill level. And to clarify, you are interested in progressive music?
Quote by shmoener
i've played guitar for about 7 years and btbam is on of my favorite bands. i also love mars volta and tool. i've seen tool and btbam live

These are all good things. But once again I'll need demonstration of skill level in some form or another.
well i cant make recordings right now as my laptop is having problems. hope to have it fixed within a week. but if you want an idea of what i can do me and a friend cover alaska by btbam and i on my own play decade of statues and foam born on guitar also by btbam. wrote a song that sounds similar to tool but its poorly recorded. i'll redo it when i can. trying to start a band with my friend who plays bass but we cant find another guitar or drums. also check out these 2 bands.

http://www.myspace.com/thedyadiceffect

http://www.myspace.com/astrasound
Quote by shmoener
well i cant make recordings right now as my laptop is having problems. hope to have it fixed within a week. but if you want an idea of what i can do me and a friend cover alaska by btbam and i on my own play decade of statues and foam born on guitar also by btbam. wrote a song that sounds similar to tool but its poorly recorded. i'll redo it when i can. trying to start a band with my friend who plays bass but we cant find another guitar or drums. also check out these 2 bands.

http://www.myspace.com/thedyadiceffect

http://www.myspace.com/astrasound

Ok I'll await some material. Looking forward to it.
Quote by MustaKuura
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKSkVSlaF-4

sorry for the effect it's a joke... i'm on the left

Great work. Clearly you are good BUT....everyone here is saying "look I covered a Btbam song". I'm not Btbam, nor am I making a very Btbam esq band. I plan on having the progression and technicality of Btbam, but not the hardcore aspect. So just a heads up, this will not be a metalcore band and I don't feel like doing blast beats or grav rolls. Then again this band will range from prog alternative to prog rock to prog metal. Anyways you have a spot filled for now. Congratulations.
yeah it wasn't to show my love for btbam, just the newest video i have as of now to show off my technical ability i just like more abstract music in general. The only problem is i have no way to record. In the next week or 2 i plan on buying an interface so i'll be able to (i have Revalver MkIII and audacity already).
Im up for bass if its not already taken.
I threw together something quick, this is good recording quality, but It'll sound better if I actually run it through my mixer etc (I just recorded direct for this)

More a show of recording quality than skill level, if you're not satified with the skill level from the clip I could record something demonstrating that I guess.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/Z01NYlJWaTFnYU5FQlE9PQ

Im also taking a course on audio engineering at university, so if you want someone to mix the songs too, Im your guy
Quote by Skitgraves
Im up for bass if its not already taken.
I threw together something quick, this is good recording quality, but It'll sound better if I actually run it through my mixer etc (I just recorded direct for this)

More a show of recording quality than skill level, if you're not satified with the skill level from the clip I could record something demonstrating that I guess.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/Z01NYlJWaTFnYU5FQlE9PQ

Im also taking a course on audio engineering at university, so if you want someone to mix the songs too, Im your guy

That seems sufficient for now. I'll put you in the spot unless I see a bet choice. ON a side note, do you have a 5 or 4 string?
Quote by MustaKuura
yeah it wasn't to show my love for btbam, just the newest video i have as of now to show off my technical ability i just like more abstract music in general. The only problem is i have no way to record. In the next week or 2 i plan on buying an interface so i'll be able to (i have Revalver MkIII and audacity already).

That's fine. Chances are, this whole band forming won't be finished until a week or so
and then comes writing music, so there is no rush to record.
Last edited by Piscasis at Oct 17, 2009,
I'm definitely in, I play guitar, and live for prog. Right now I'm learning some dream theater, born of osiris, veil of maya, between the buried and me protest the hero, etc as well as writing. seanstephensen@live.ca if you want more info
Quote by pspsean
I'm definitely in, I play guitar, and live for prog. Right now I'm learning some dream theater, born of osiris, veil of maya, between the buried and me protest the hero, etc as well as writing. seanstephensen@live.ca if you want more info

Do you have any mp3s or something I can refer to?
Quote by Piscasis
Do you have any mp3s or something I can refer to?

www.youtube.com/seanstephensen

it's not very impressive

but the bands I mentioned are coming!

and my zoom zfx is acting up this last week, I'm trying to figure it out then I'll make more vids and some mp3s
Wish I had found this earlier. This is basically my dream project. But I'm too busy, as it is. Good luck though .

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Forgot to mention planet x, one of my main influences. Also, I should mention, I have completed a summer guitar program at berklee, so I learned a lot there, including a daily rhythm clinic, perfect for a prog keener as myself. Also in comparison to the other guy you confirmed, I can execute the selkies sweeps near perfectly.
Quote by pspsean
Forgot to mention planet x, one of my main influences. Also, I should mention, I have completed a summer guitar program at berklee, so I learned a lot there, including a daily rhythm clinic, perfect for a prog keener as myself. Also in comparison to the other guy you confirmed, I can execute the selkies sweeps near perfectly.

First of all, I am a big Planet X fan as well. Secondly, it is clear you have technical skills. And thirdly, I need to guitarists so you don't have to try and beat out the other guy, you're both in for now.
Quote by Piscasis
That seems sufficient for now. I'll put you in the spot unless I see a bet choice. ON a side note, do you have a 5 or 4 string?

4 string.
Depending on what you end up doing though, I dont see that as a problem.
Quote by Skitgraves
4 string.
Depending on what you end up doing though, I dont see that as a problem.

The other 'as of now confimed gutiarist' has a 6 string, and i (in the same situation) have a 7 string, so if this is the line up, it'll be mostly 6 string (/4 string bass) music
I can contribute im a multi instrumentalist i can play dream theater guitar or keyboard difficulty solos (or any myung bass stuff). i cant sing tho lol.

Check my profile for examples of tunes (except the ocean as i was drunk when i did that lol). You can see my gear list as well that ive got up for sale (ive got an extensive music studio).
Last edited by lucertia. at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by lucertia.
I can contribute im a multi instrumentalist i can play dream theater guitar or keyboard difficulty solos (or any myung bass stuff). i cant sing tho lol.

Check my profile for examples of tunes (except the ocean as i was drunk when i did that lol). You can see my gear list as well that ive got up for sale (ive got an extensive music studio).

We've already got two guitarists but if something doesn't work out with one I'll squeeze ya in.
Quote by Piscasis
We've already got two guitarists but if something doesn't work out with one I'll squeeze ya in.

Just fire them im the best

JK
I'm in for vocals... I'm told my voice sounds like Russell Allen's of Symphony X
btw: Why Fabio? Everyone always tells me I look like Fabio...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Dec 17, 2009,