I know they're discontinued, but they're not that rare yet. Right now I have a 30 watt Cube by Roland. It's a good amp but the sound sounds a bit too...processed. I've seen some vids on YT of people with AVTs and they seem to sound good. Anyone who's owned one care to share their thoughts?

Also the tone I'm looking for...I want to be able to switch from a Slash type tone to a thrashy tone.

EDIT: And just so you know, I'm not looking to get a tube amp or anything like that soon. This is strictly garage and bedroom.
Last edited by wwfattitude1998 at Oct 16, 2009,
dont bother with that amp
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by wwfattitude1998
Why?

over priced
not as good as its predecessors
can do better with the money
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
In my opinion, as I own a Marshall AVT 50 and have played it for hours, they're good amps. Overpriced? They're discontinued. Most amps are overpriced anyway.

I was looking for a good clean sound, basically. I found I liked the sound of a fifty-watt amp, and I had always wanted a Marshall. I hated tubes back then (And to some extent still do), so I got a AVT 50. I wasn't interested in the MG, and didn't get the AVT for the "tube pre-amp". I got it because I liked the clean sound. The distortion is good, very good, but I didn't get it for that reason.

I find it's best to stick with your own opinion. Snobs will thumb their noses at it. I guess they expect someone to fork over the two grand for a half stack. No sir, I think I'll take my AVT, plug it into my Line6 Cab, and play what I want.
well its not that bad. and since its discontinued, you'll have to buy it used. and i've never looked for them in particular but if its anything like a used mg you can get it real cheap. i've seen used mg half stacks for like $150. which imo isnt that bad a deal for that price especially for what you plan on using it for. so i'd suggest looking for sound clips for the avt on the internet and if you like the sound look into it more.

i wouldnt pay full price for it though so like check craigslist and ebay and other places like that
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by Buck's Student
In my opinion, as I own a Marshall AVT 50 and have played it for hours, they're good amps. Overpriced? They're discontinued. Most amps are overpriced anyway.

I was looking for a good clean sound, basically. I found I liked the sound of a fifty-watt amp, and I had always wanted a Marshall. I hated tubes back then (And to some extent still do), so I got a AVT 50. I wasn't interested in the MG, and didn't get the AVT for the "tube pre-amp". I got it because I liked the clean sound. The distortion is good, very good, but I didn't get it for that reason.

I find it's best to stick with your own opinion. Snobs will thumb their noses at it. I guess they expect someone to fork over the two grand for a half stack. No sir, I think I'll take my AVT, plug it into my Line6 Cab, and play what I want.

That's good to hear. Most people who own them love them, I hear.

I'll probably look very into it. Thanks for all the feedback everybody.
not great
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its not a great amp, but its not a bad amp, ya know? Its pretty good, I own one.

Don't expect anything amazing out of the AVT.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Quote by Scutchington
Its not a great amp, but its not a bad amp, ya know? Its pretty good, I own one.

Don't expect anything amazing out of the AVT.

You've got the 20, though. It's different from the 50, soundwise.

The best thing anyone can do with these amps is to leave their comfort zone and pick new EQ settings.
Quote by Buck's Student
You've got the 20, though. It's different from the 50, soundwise.

The best thing anyone can do with these amps is to leave their comfort zone and pick new EQ settings.

I am aware of the sound differences, but I have gotten the chance to play through the AVT50.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
My friend has one and I have no idea how much he paid for it, but it sounds pretty good.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
I'm not sure but I think Chuck Schuldiner used one on Sound of Perseverence...and he had KILLER tone
Quote by Buck's Student

You're coming across as an anti-snob, by the way. How can any guitarist 'hate' tube amps? That sounds to me like someone who's either trying too hard to be different, or simply has no ear for tone whatsoever.

I think the AVT is a piece of crap, especially for the prices it sells for, but if you can get a good used deal it's a usable amp with surprisingly nice cleans. Still, I could never find a reason to recommend one.
the bass player in my band plays for another band where the guitar player has a valvestate 150 head. I was really surprised as to how good it sounded, especially considering it was a valvestate.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Avoidable.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

not great. sorry to anyone else who has one. I had one at first( a 150) and i hated it then and i hate them now. For the price they were back then there were so many better amps. Used price? still other used amps that slay it
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I think the AVTs are ok, they get a bad rep for being Marshall solid state amps. I personally think they sound much more tube like than their predecessors, which just sound sterile and unnatural to my ears. I wouldn't buy one again or anything and it's certainly not a great amp by any means but I mean, bought it when I was 14 which was 8 years ago so I would say I've gotten pretty good use out of it. But I record with it, practice with it and occasionally gig with it, even over my JTM45, which is just too much of a hassle 90% of the time.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 18, 2009,