Alright, my drummer and I have been considering buying a P.A system for a while now and it's time to start getting information so we don't end up making a thousand (or two) dollar mistake.

My big question is, how much will we get out of a quality P.A system as opposed to buying multiple amps? Our sound is derived off of both the orchestral hard-rock and funk that we create with the Gibson SG and, equally as importantly, the delicately crafted melodies written on my Takamine G-Series 12 String.

Will buying a P.A system mean we can use both these guitars with the same system, as well as multiple mics for singing / what have you?

Just how versatile is a P.A system??

One Love,
M.
That's way too general. Not all PA set ups are built alike. That's why there's SO many out there, and why the industry mags have 20 pages of ads for different line array sets and different amp/speaker combos.

However, a good band sound reinforcement style PA is quite versatile. The entire point of it is to take everything you got up there, and "reinforce" it, make it louder. But you get out of it what you put in to it. You go cheap, you're gonna get cheap/mediocre. But a little extra in, especially for the mix/sound table and processing along with a good amp/speaker set up, you'll do yourself good.

My advice? Find yourself a guy not unlike myself, whose been working in pro audio for awhile, and can help you spec a system that will do you good while working in your budget, and he can maybe even engineer you. Or at least start you out or train someone you know in the basics.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Wait, from your post i get the feeling you want to plug your guitar into the PA. The pa is meant for mic'ing your amp. So you need amps nonetheless. Then you need to decide wether you want powered speakers, powered mixer, or unpowered mixer + power amp
I have a Genz Benz acoustic amplifier for my acoustic material, but as for electric I don't have anything great quality. Is it not possible to just run my Gibson SG through the effects pedals I need, and then run it into the P.A?
Quote by MLennox
I have a Genz Benz acoustic amplifier for my acoustic material, but as for electric I don't have anything great quality. Is it not possible to just run my Gibson SG through the effects pedals I need, and then run it into the P.A?

Possible, yes. Recommended? No.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
my band mic's our amps and it plays out of the pa system and our in ear monitors. we also mic the drums and both vocal mics through it. and when we aren't jamming we can run an ipod into it and just listen to music through loud speakers. PA systems are a great thing to have, but i wouldn't recommend it unless you are going to get a decent one and use it frequently. other than that, it's pretty unnecessary if you can just crank your amps..
I have a very small 10w Orange amplifier and a larger modeller Tube amp, which isn't bad quality. The idea then, is for the P.A amp to simply amplify the sound? It won't increase the quality if, say, I chose to use the Orange amp?
Quote by MLennox
I have a very small 10w Orange amplifier and a larger modeller Tube amp, which isn't bad quality. The idea then, is for the P.A amp to simply amplify the sound? It won't increase the quality if, say, I chose to use the Orange amp?

The basic concept behind what you're calling a PA system is to reinforce the sound on stage. As long as the system is decent, and you have an engineer who is competent and sober (sorry, running gag at my job, we've gotten about a dozen contract riders from acts that specifically state that they require a "competent and sober engineer"), is to take all the instrumentation, mix it, and amplify it. You're using that Orange amp for your guitar, and the PA system is amplifying that, along with everything else, in to one mix for the audience to take in.

Using a guitar amp to drive a PA amp is square peg/round hole territory.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣