Wen you order a Guitar from the web, is the guitar already tuned on arrival of your home?
Carvin are famous for arriving in-tune.
But most instruments will not be in-tune when you get them.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I don't understand why people really care if they are tuned when you get them. Just tune it up when you get your hands on it?
Quote by NemX162
I don't understand why people really care if they are tuned when you get them. Just tune it up when you get your hands on it?

This.

Every time you pick up your guitar, you should tune it before you start. That's just good habit. There's nothing worse than good playing on an out of tune guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by NemX162
Don't come to conclusions so soon. I come here for help, a beginner at Guitars lol. I don't know anything about tuning yet.
Last edited by CountryB0y at Oct 17, 2009,
You should learn about tuning, then. It isnt hard at all.
And what captivate said.
Gear

EastWood Sidejack DLX
Epiphone Blues Custom 30
S.U.F VRH FUZZ
MXR Mirco Amp
BOSS BD-1 (Blues Driver)
Dunlop CryBaby
buy a tuner for like 19.99 you can have a really nice tuner that will make life easier. Only thing I was told during my first lesson was clockwise is lower, counter is to make it higher. All you should need to know
my Seagull came in tune which was hard to believe since it came to me in about a week straight from Canada while there was snow on the ground... i figured the changes in temperature would have knocked it out of tune.

anyway pick up a nice Korg tuner and never have to worry about a guitar arriving in tune again!

this thing's kind of the standard for beginner tuners. it has a button so you can switch from bass to guitar, and will tell you the note and number of each string. the number of the string isn't really important as long as you know which string you're trying to tune lol but it's a decent feature none the less i guess. and i think it's $19.99

EDIT: and if you're at all confused on how to use it just ask somebody when you pick it up. they'll give you a 30 second long demonstration/lesson and you'll be set.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Oct 17, 2009,
Oh and by the way, even if it does or doesnt come tuned, the strings might need some stretching, I know mine did. So dont get frustrated if it gets out of tune the first few times you play.
Gear

EastWood Sidejack DLX
Epiphone Blues Custom 30
S.U.F VRH FUZZ
MXR Mirco Amp
BOSS BD-1 (Blues Driver)
Dunlop CryBaby
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
well you could just get a tuner lol. also there are websites that play the notes so you tune the guitar by ear.

Do you really expect an absolute beginner to be able to tune by ear?
Guitar - The true Religion
^Yes. Honestly, if you're starting to play guitar and can't tell that two notes are off from each other than you should just drop the instrument all together.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
^Yes. Honestly, if you're starting to play guitar and can't tell that two notes are off from each other than you should just drop the instrument all together.

Wow, that's not ignorant at all.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Natrone

Actually I would disagree with you. When I was just starting out, I tried to tune my guitar by ear, and check with a tuner afterward. More of then than not, my tuning was kind of out. It wasn't completely messed up, but it simply wasn't accurate enough. I It is like degree of accuracy in maths.

After some time of playing the guitar, my ears sort of developed and I'm now able to tune by ear to a decent amount of accuracy. However it definitely wasn't the case when i was starting out.

So unless you had prior musical training, or simply have good ears, I would still recommend a tuner for absolute beginners.
What I meant is that if you can't tell BIG differences (like, between a D and an E) by using an online tuner that gives you the tone, then you've got some problems. By no means do I think that you should never use a tuner.

I can't tune just by ear at all. I can get everything tuned relative to everything else, but not very fine-tuned to an actual tuning.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
even if it was in tune when it shipped from the warehouse i'm sure climate changes would have its way with the tuning during shipping and thus be out of tune on arrival.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by avenger86
Actually I would disagree with you. When I was just starting out, I tried to tune my guitar by ear, and check with a tuner afterward. More of then than not, my tuning was kind of out. It wasn't completely messed up, but it simply wasn't accurate enough. I It is like degree of accuracy in maths.

After some time of playing the guitar, my ears sort of developed and I'm now able to tune by ear to a decent amount of accuracy. However it definitely wasn't the case when i was starting out.

So unless you had prior musical training, or simply have good ears, I would still recommend a tuner for absolute beginners.
I agree with you. I bought a Acoustic clip on tuner days ago, it should be here before Wednesday. Yes i am an ABSOLUTE beginner. This thread will help me wen it arrives..i think?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1212546
Last edited by CountryB0y at Oct 17, 2009,
Oh, on a Acoustic, do hammer ons and offs work? Are they even necessary for Acoustics?
i do hammer ons and pulloffs on acoustic all the time

as far as whether they're necessary, that depends on you and on what songs you play. i love doing 'em in the right places.

Quote by CountryB0y
Oh, on a Acoustic, do hammer ons and offs work? Are they even necessary for Acoustics?
I doubt it. Mine that i got, was tuned when my grandparents (they bought me it as it was my birthday) got it from the store, (but yeh, since it was travelling by car it went out of tune).. but it will go out of tune for two reasons (same two reasons mine did):

1) if its new then the strings are likely to be new too, so they will take time to adjust.
2) if its travelling, the pegs are most likely to get knocked and go out of place.

so to an answer to your question, no i dont think it will.
Quote by Natrone
What I meant is that if you can't tell BIG differences (like, between a D and an E) by using an online tuner that gives you the tone, then you've got some problems. By no means do I think that you should never use a tuner.

I can't tune just by ear at all. I can get everything tuned relative to everything else, but not very fine-tuned to an actual tuning.

psshh. I get those 2 mixed up the most. True story
Quote by CountryB0y
I agree with you. I bought a Acoustic clip on tuner days ago, it should be here before Wednesday. Yes i am an ABSOLUTE beginner. This thread will help me wen it arrives..i think?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1212546

Yup, the tuner would probably come with some kind of an instruction manual too. Shouldn't take you too long to figure out how it works.
Yeah, that Korg tuner is one of the easiest tuners to use; it has a screen with a needle-like thing on it to tell you how close it is to being in tune, and lights for if it's flat/sharp.

And as for Acoustic hammer-ons/pull-offs....you can do them, but it's more difficult than doing them on an electric guitar. It can be done though. You can even do acoustic tapping too....but that's more difficult.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I wouldn't think so, my taylor stays tuned perfectly for weeks at a time but the few times I've locked it up in it's case and brought it somewhere it was a good bit out of tune when I got where I was going, then again it's pretty humid outside around here usually.
Quote by captivate
This.

Every time you pick up your guitar, you should tune it before you start. That's just good habit. There's nothing worse than good playing on an out of tune guitar.

+10000
easier for me because i use extra light strings.

Quote by clayonfire
Yeah, that Korg tuner is one of the easiest tuners to use; it has a screen with a needle-like thing on it to tell you how close it is to being in tune, and lights for if it's flat/sharp.

And as for Acoustic hammer-ons/pull-offs....you can do them, but it's more difficult than doing them on an electric guitar. It can be done though. You can even do acoustic tapping too....but that's more difficult.
anything you can do on an electric guitar you can do on an acoustic. minus the obvious exception like toggle switching and other things like that. but you should be able to strum, pick, pluck, hammer on, pull of, tap, sweep, etc on your acoustic eventually.
no sir away a papaya war is on
When I'm home, I use AP Tuner, you can find on Google, all you need is a microfone. The normal tuning is
E A D G B E
make sure you hit it.

If I'm out to play the guitar, most of my friends will have a Korg tuner, so I just ask them to bring it.