seems like no matter how hard i practice, my left hand is always so slow. any suggestions?
Put 'em to use and learn some classical music, it's a lot of fun to play. Or try a lefty guitar out.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Put 'em to use and learn some classical music, it's a lot of fun to play. Or try a lefty guitar out.

what?

to improve left hand speed a good place to start is with spider exercises, and large position shift exercises and string skipping.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
what?
He's saying his right hand is fast?
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by sethp
seems like no matter how hard i practice, my left hand is always so slow. any suggestions?

No it isn't.

You have two problems, you don't have enough control over your hand and you're not good enough at using both hands together - it's nothing to do with speed.

Slow everything down to a tempo at which you have complete control over what each hand is doing and as such are able to keep both of them in sync. That's what you need to be working on, use a metronome to keep time - for anything you want to play start at the slowest speed you need to and only increase the tempo when you're playing something consistently without mistakes. Bump the metronome up by small increments, ony 1 or 2 bpm at a time. If you start making mistakes, tensing up or either of your hands starts spazzing out in an attempt to keep up then you're trying to play too fast.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
He's saying his right hand is fast?

So he should buy a different guitar and try to re-learn to play the guitar?
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
let it come naturally like it did for me it took me about three or four months into my guitar playing to get them into sync to play iron maidens no more lies half decent
i also heard acoustic guitar is good to practice on it strengthens your hands gets all those memory like muscles working
Quote by steven seagull
No it isn't.

You have two problems, you don't have enough control over your hand and you're not good enough at using both hands together - it's nothing to do with speed.

Slow everything down to a tempo at which you have complete control over what each hand is doing and as such are able to keep both of them in sync. That's what you need to be working on, use a metronome to keep time - for anything you want to play start at the slowest speed you need to and only increase the tempo when you're playing something consistently without mistakes. Bump the metronome up by small increments, ony 1 or 2 bpm at a time. If you start making mistakes, tensing up or either of your hands starts spazzing out in an attempt to keep up then you're trying to play too fast.

+1
It's not about speed it's about accuracy. Similar to typing. Rolling your face (or picking fast) gets you no where if it's not readable (audible).
Quote by fixationdarknes
zomg seagull you should put this quote in ur sig, itll make you look smart

I really hope you're joking considering Seagull gets that compliment in every thread he posts in. :/
TS, slow things down. That's all you need to do.
Quote by Deep*Kick
So he should buy a different guitar and try to re-learn to play the guitar?
I misunderstood the thread. You can kick me in the ass if you want.
Quote by Baby Joel
I really hope you're joking considering Seagull gets that compliment in every thread he posts in. :/

that's because he always seems to have the first bit of reasonable advice after all the nooby comments
Quote by Baby Joel

I find it sad you needed to ask me if I was joking. It's rather retarded to sig those kinds of things.
Hey, do what you gotta do...I remember going back through a load of old posts myself once and thinking to myself "Boy, I've come up with some really sage advice when I'm drunk"

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Freepower
You did always have that air of boozy belligerence.

Reminds me - must get out the Laphroaig and starting posting/banning tipsy.

Gotta love that smoky finish
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Guitar Hero.

Really works the left hand muscles. No joke.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by steven seagull
Gotta love that smoky finish

Ye gods, it seems Laphraoig is a universal language. (a few youtubers have noticed a bottle or two in the background as well )

That said, atm my supply of fine scotch is limited to a 1/8th bottle of Talisker. Must visit some family and friends up north soon or I'll run out.
Quote by Freepower
Ye gods, it seems Laphraoig is a universal language. (a few youtubers have noticed a bottle or two in the background as well )

That said, atm my supply of fine scotch is limited to a 1/8th bottle of Talisker. Must visit some family and friends up north soon or I'll run out.

And you always struck me as the clean shaven, non-smoking, non-drinking, healthy-eating, exercising kinda guy

Having said that, fine scotch is much more sophisticated than the cans of Carlsberg i drink.
Oh, sure, that's pretty much the case.

I just really like the occasional double of high quality whiskey - it's not really a vice, more of a luxury. I get through about 3 bottles a year or so. Now, if we were talking PC gaming and modding, or table tennis, then we'd be talking real vices.
Quote by Freepower
Now, if we were talking PC gaming and modding, or table tennis, then we'd be talking real vices.

sorry to get sort off-topic, but what games? I used to play WoW, CS, Starcraft, Diablo series, DotA/WC3. Recently all I play is the beta for Heroes of Newerth every once in a while, but for the most part no pc games right now really catch my interest.

What I'm really waiting for is Diablo 3. Diablo series is probably my tied for if not my favorite pc game of all time

Btw since I'm half asian therefore it's a necessity that I like ping pong, however I'll admit I'm not that great, haven't really played much
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by GODhimself37
Guitar Hero.

Really works the left hand muscles. No joke.

So does playing guitar.
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Quote by steven seagull
Hey, do what you gotta do...I remember going back through a load of old posts myself once and thinking to myself "Boy, I've come up with some really sage advice when I'm drunk"

You gave all that advice when you were drunk? In that case, keep on drinking
Oh, freepower, may I suggest something? A lot of my threads contain Steven Seagull's advice, as well (among other people's advice). You might want to check them out for that Seagull repository . Are you going to put the Seagull repository in the archives for everyone to read?

Btw, it would be a good idea, in my opinion, to make a list containing all the people that give great advice, and put that as a sticky.
Here's mine, for now:
Steven Seagul
Freepower
GuitarMunky
xxdarrenxx
zhilla
7even
Doive.

Maybe one for the techniques forum, and one for the musician talk forum?
(This discussion has totally gone off-topic from the thread topic.)
Last edited by robinlint at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by fixationdarknes

sorry to get sort off-topic, but what games? I used to play WoW, CS, Starcraft, Diablo series, DotA/WC3. Recently all I play is the beta for Heroes of Newerth every once in a while, but for the most part no pc games right now really catch my interest.

What I'm really waiting for is Diablo 3. Diablo series is probably my tied for if not my favorite pc game of all time

Btw since I'm half asian therefore it's a necessity that I like ping pong, however I'll admit I'm not that great, haven't really played much

And seeing as you're half asian that explains the grindy grindy game choices. Nah, I'm into Mount and Blade, loads of freeware and classic abandonware, the Total War series, all the fallout games up to fallout 3, Deus Ex (duh!), the Thief games...

and I've done lots of modding for various titles.
Deus Ex was seriously awesome when me and my brother played that. The game (I haven't played the sequels) just has such a captivating/mysterious atmosphere to it. I'm gonna delve into some games this winter when my semester is over. There should be a gaming subforum here; there must be a decent amount of us here who game