I just discovered something rather good and thought I'd share it with you.

I was dressing the frets on a really old Ibanez guitar (which I actually thought would need a refretting) and had finished filing with my little fret file and was ready to do the final dressing. Most people usually reach for the steel wool at this stage but I really hate using that stuff, it's so hard to do it without getting the fingerboard as well.
"Hmm", I thought. "I wonder how those emery boards you use on fingernails would work."
So off to the bathroom I went and found several different types and set to giving them a whirl. Now these were high quality ones like they use in beauty salons, not just thin boards but set on foam sort of stuff. They come in all shapes, sizes and grades. There are coarse ones for shaping the nail right down to really fine which is used for putting a polish on the top of the nail.
The result - brilliant! By the time I finished with the finest grade you'd swear they were brand new frets - AND I never touched the timber once. Why haven't I ever read anybody suggesting this before??

So next time you are dressing your frets I recommend that you go raid your girlfriend's makeup kit and knick her emery boards. Even if you aren't as impressed as me it's gotta be good for a laugh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 17, 2009,
Apparently they call the really fine ones nail buffers. They are basically really fine emery paper stuck to a foam board, usually double sided.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification