Page 1 of 2
Okay I've come to a crossroads in my life. The band I'm in has gotten a record deal and the company wants to put us on tour. But right now, I'm attending college at A&M College Station and I love it there. And, my girlfriend and I have dated for two and a half years and plan on getting married after college. That is, unless I go on tour. If I go on tour, all of my plans and A&M are pretty much gone. I have also have a $10,000 scholarship to consider dropping if I drop out of college. Either way, sacrifices have to be made.
If I wait till I graduate, that opportunity with the company will be nonexistent. And, what if we take the deal and then we don't make it? What if we don't sell? Then there's no college to go back to, and I end up back on my doorstep, living at home with NOTHING. And not to mention my girlfriend, I'm pretty sure we would be done as well. I just don't know what to do. I am seriously freaking out.

Your thoughts?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Everyone goes to college these days! But not too many people get to tour! FOLLOW.YOUR.DREAMS!

Hit the road bro

PS: I don't know how old you are, but assuming you got a record deal, you are still young. Don't get married. If your band falls apart go to community college or start another band.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Last edited by Goin' Mobile at Oct 17, 2009,
Damn sounds like a ****ty situation to be in, In my honest opinion this isn't something "the pit" can really answer because is a HUGE situation...but you should do it men that's all i can say...btw u got your band's link?!?! I wanna hear some of you band's music!
Personally I'd stick with the scholarship, you're lucky to have that kind of opportunity. The music would be the adventure of a lifetime, and sometimes a risk can lead to a wonderful future - however then again, it IS a risk. If your music was good enough now then there's a good chance it'll be good enough in the future. I'm a safe kind of person, that's just how I'd approach it.
Not worth it. Stay in college and stay with your gf. Even though you got a legit record deal, it's way too unpredictable to make a lifelong career out of it (Is it an indie label)? Get a good education and get a good, stable job.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
What is your av?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Yeah, what kind of record deal? Like Atlantic or Geffen? Or some indie label?

But still, music is dying. You are lucky to have that opportunity if the label is paying for everything and promoting you.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Quote by robotz!
have a box of shapes

Dude! thats what im eating right now. I'm havin a good time

This man knows his ****.
Quote by handbanana78
Damn sounds like a ****ty situation to be in, In my honest opinion this isn't something "the pit" can really answer because is a HUGE situation...but you should do it men that's all i can say...btw u got your band's link?!?! I wanna hear some of you band's music!

http://www.myspace.com/citylimitsign

Hear you go man...be warned it's Texas Country lol we don't have any music up, but scroll down and there'll be some Youtube vids.
I say go to to college.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
I'd say definately go with the band. But then again I am kinda stupid so don't listen to me.

unless you want to
"I will endure, hide away...

I would outrun the scythe, glaring with failure"

Opeth - April Ethereal
Go for both as long as possible? Try seeing if you can tour relatively locally and book dates that would work best with what schedule you have... If not, I deffinately say stick with college, it will create more opportunities for you later in life and is a greater safety-net than it is risking it for a band.
Quote by Hybrid_Xer0
Dude! thats what im eating right now. I'm havin a good time

This man knows his ****.

Which flavour?!
I myself have 'italian woodfried pizza' flavour
Quote by robotz!
Which flavour?!

Pizza for the win.
"I will endure, hide away...

I would outrun the scythe, glaring with failure"

Opeth - April Ethereal
Me, band all the way.
I enjoy taking risks. You'll regret it the rest of your life if you don't do it.
Quote by Goin' Mobile
Yeah, what kind of record deal? Like Atlantic or Geffen? Or some indie label?

But still, music is dying. You are lucky to have that opportunity if the label is paying for everything and promoting you.

Yeah it's nothing big, it's a brand new label, but this guy's worked with everybody, with Mr. Big (Paul Gilbert is my idol), the Who, a bunch of big names and ****.
Your singer is awesome.

The rest of you guys need work on stage presence a bit it seems.

But the singer is great.

Quote by CrossBack7
Go to whoever is offering you this deal, and tell him your exact situation just like you did here. If he is a decent person maybe he will work with you. If he's not willing to work with you then he's probably not the type of person you want to work with anyways.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Oct 17, 2009,
this actually seems easy to me. Can you make a career off your band? Is that career going to be better and more lucrative than the one you are striving for in college? Will you like touring more than you would like being in college and being with your girl?

If you answered "NO" to any of these questions, stay in school.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by Momentosis
Your singer is awesome.

The rest of you guys need work on stage presence a bit it seems.

But the singer is great.

i heartily agree

the singer is cool
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Matt420740
Go to whoever is offering you this deal, and tell him your exact situation just like you did here. If he is a decent person maybe he will work with you. If he's not willing to work with you then he's probably not the type of person you want to work with anyways.

This makes the most sense.
Quote by Big Spender
Personally I'd stick with the scholarship, you're lucky to have that kind of opportunity. The music would be the adventure of a lifetime, and sometimes a risk can lead to a wonderful future - however then again, it IS a risk. If your music was good enough now then there's a good chance it'll be good enough in the future. I'm a safe kind of person, that's just how I'd approach it.

gota say this man is probably right. if your music would sell now it will sell in a year or two.
$10,000 is a lot of money.
But this record deal/tour is once in a lifetime.
You can go back to college,
but $10,000 is a lot of money.
Your girlfriend will probably understand
that this record deal/tour is once in a lifetime.

I guess it all comes down to: do you want the money, or the experience?
Could you ever have a chance to tour again if you pass it up now?
Could you ever get your hands on $10,000 again if you drop out now?

Tough personal choice.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by fav13andac1)c
http://www.myspace.com/citylimitsign

Hear you go man...be warned it's Texas Country lol we don't have any music up, but scroll down and there'll be some Youtube vids.

Dude Eli Young Band formed at UNT... I mean, if you're planning on being a Texas country artist, you're really only going to make money in the "red dirt" area... Thats how most of them make their money, by touring. Most Texas country artists dont make it huge outside of this area... I know its your dream but I would say that your best bet is to stay in college... If you're a good singer/songwriter you can make it just playing the bar scene. Thats how guys like Stoney LaRue and Wade Bowen make their money...
Quote by Momentosis
What is your av?

Looks like Angus Young totally flipping out on stage, as per his usual.
Only live once man. Do the tour to see how it goes. Otherwise you'll never know what could have been... *fading echo*
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
I don't even know, you have a good thing going at the college but going on tour is a big deal. I think I'd go on tour, not many people get to do that.
I'd tour. **** like that doesnt happen too often to people. college will always be there. plus chicks come and go eh
Quote by thanksgiving

One time my girlfriends mum was showing me a picture of her brother blowing out a birthday cake and I laughed cause he had a funny look on his face like he blew too hard.

Turns out he has Downs Syndrome.
Stay in school dude you seem to have it going on there..
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
I say college ... Keep the girlfriend, keep the scholarship. Also keep on getting better and better playing. Then hit the road.
Quote by Dog
You must be able to tremolo pick like a mad man.

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
How the **** do you jerk off?

Oh yeah: I'm a French-Canadian so excuse my English .
Quote by robotz!
Which flavour?!

Just regular pizza. I haven't tried woodfried yet.
Quote by Hybrid_Xer0
Just regular pizza. I haven't tried woodfried yet.

Wtf?

Was this posted in the right thread?

Quote by CrossBack7
I'd go on tour. Its only for awhile your girl will understand. And college will always be there it will just be a lil harder to pay for but you could do it, right?
In diesem Herz hab ich die Macht.

Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Strat (Wine Red)
VOX Valvetronix VT20+
Kay K390 Acoustic
very cool videos. I say go with the tour. you can always go back to college if it all turns to **** but you might not get this chance again. as for the gf... she should be stoked for you whatever you choose..
Everyones opinion counts bro but with a decision like that well its all you bro. I know I would go touring but thats my dream. Im not good at anything else and Im not just saying that. Im not good with my hands when it comes to building/creating concepts except playing guitar. I dont have the financial opportunity to go to college because I made a bad decision to make money in hard times and a rat bastard sold me out to the cops and seriously effed up a lot of opportunities I couldve had so touring for me is all Ive got and Ill dedicate my whole life to make that happen. WHat do you think is right for you in your heart?
Page 1 of 2