I've been playing acoustic since 2006, not really serious at it but it's good as a leisure thing. I started taking lessons last year and since my birthday is coming up I thought it might be time to get into electric, so I'm asking my parents to buy me one. I really don't know if I will end up becoming serious at guitar, like becoming a professional player or something but I will play for life, even if its just as a hobby. I just started college and still trying to find out what I really want to do.

So yesterday I was at a mall doing some grocery shopping and they had a music fair and something caught my eye. I'm not too sure if this is the one like the one they had in the fair but I searched the website and this was the only thing that came up that looked like it:
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0310001570
I know absolutely nothing about guitar specs but it looked great, feels light and had a great price. I've heard about Squier's reputation though, so later on in the afternoon I asked a friend (she's been playing longer than I have) if they're okay and she said they are, but I want to know what you guys think since people here have more experience with guitars.
*point to name and sig*

No.

BUT, don't get a bullet strat, if you can, score a classic vibe squier, those things are awesome guitars for the money
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
For someone who is just starting out with guitar I suppose they won't know a good guitar from a bad one.

Try one out see what you think. Personally if I were you i'd go second hand.
Squiers are kind of hit and miss. Some of them are REALLY good (I own a rare Stagemaster seven-string that they put out around 2000 or so), but some of them are equally crap (read: Bullet).

The higher up you get for Squiers in price, the better quality they tend to be.

And any guitar can be really awesome if you take good care of it. And if you're willing to spend some money on your own upgrades.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
cheap guitar with a whammy is allmost allways fail, theres no way your guitar can keep tuning while doing divebombs and such with the bridge it has,
for a beginner i'd think it would be a great guitar but since you've been playing for three years, i'd pass on that one,
try testing it and then test a lets say 500-600 dollar guitar and feel the difference, I personally wouldn't go for it,

oh it also has 3 single coils so their argument "A perfect choice for a first guitar no matter who you are or what style of music you want to learn. " wouldn't be valid if your even slightly interested in rock/metal.

if you only buy an electric to mess around with tho, it would be a good choise, since its cheap and you wouldn't have wasted to much cash on it if you decided electric isn't the way you wanna go.

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
i wouldnt buy a bullet ... try for an affinity series at least...

You can get some good guitars when you move up into the standard series.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I'll defend the Affinity series on my, some of my favorite strats, and my #1 tele are all Squier Affinity instruments - and yes I did play more expensive guitars after them. They just seem to feel better to me.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by xxemo_kittyxx
I've been playing acoustic since 2006, not really serious at it but it's good as a leisure thing. I started taking lessons last year and since my birthday is coming up I thought it might be time to get into electric, so I'm asking my parents to buy me one. I really don't know if I will end up becoming serious at guitar, like becoming a professional player or something but I will play for life, even if its just as a hobby. I just started college and still trying to find out what I really want to do.

If you know that, it's worth investing in something better. Buying low end stuff isn't really worth it because the resale is terrible and you end up spending more money in the long run. It doesn't matter if you plan on going professional or not, a good guitar is a good guitar. It will fell better and sound better.
dont buy the squier bullet series. they suck. get the classic vibe series or the vintage modified series.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by numinis
cheap guitar with a whammy is allmost allways fail, theres no way your guitar can keep tuning while doing divebombs and such with the bridge it has

Divebombs on vintage style trems fail
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
They aren't that bad, but they aren't great either. However for a first electric guitar they are fine. You can get some actual Fender that aren't that much more expensive than Squires
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
I has a Affinity series Fat Strat and its fine... :/
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by numinis
cheap guitar with a whammy is allmost allways fail, theres no way your guitar can keep tuning while doing divebombs and such with the bridge it has,
for a beginner i'd think it would be a great guitar but since you've been playing for three years, i'd pass on that one,
try testing it and then test a lets say 500-600 dollar guitar and feel the difference, I personally wouldn't go for it,

oh it also has 3 single coils so their argument "A perfect choice for a first guitar no matter who you are or what style of music you want to learn. " wouldn't be valid if your even slightly interested in rock/metal.

if you only buy an electric to mess around with tho, it would be a good choise, since its cheap and you wouldn't have wasted to much cash on it if you decided electric isn't the way you wanna go.

Are you special? Most normal strats, including fenders, don't have double locking bridges required to do divebombs.
Squier is pretty good, and I would recommend them to anyone. I don't have experience with the Bullets, but the new ones look cool. There was a guy on youtube with a Bullet he bought years ago, and he got good sound from it. He just had to play well.
If you're into strat-style guitars, aim for a Yamaha Pacifica!
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by darkcheef

Are you special? Most normal strats, including fenders, don't have double locking bridges required to do divebombs.

you do know you don't need an FR for dive bombs, right?
I use my Wilkinson (read as: US Strat trem on steroids) combined with a set of Sperzel tuners, and it stays in tune fine.

Anyway, TS, no, Squiers aren't actually that bad. I've played some really good ones, actually, and I have a hankering for a Squier Classic Vibe '50s.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Oct 17, 2009,
I have an Affinity - they're okay. However, cheap guitars + trems are bad. If you do want to buy it in the end, I would block it if it isn't stable.

The mid-higher range Squiers are pretty hit and miss, but they're great for the price. My friend has a Squier Jagmaster and he loves it.

Quote by numinis
what
You can do metal with single coils. Sure it may not have the tone you may want, but it's possible. Now rock - that's completely different. Take a gander at a song like Voodoo Child (Slight Return). You can't deny that's Rock. What's it played on? A strat.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by jmeyer1022
Maybe look for a used Mex strat.

Well, this isn't exactly what the thread is about.

Here's a story: I had an Affinity Tele, which I bought on a whim. I loved the Tele sound, and when I began giving lessons, I sold it to a student. We made out a deal that I would get it back if he quit playing too early. I end up with it back in my hands, and I begin playing it again, and cannot put it down.

I gave it to my mother, because I felt bad for loving it so much when I have higher quality gear.
I have a squire affinity strat myself, and actually rate it as a rather good guitar, especially for its money. The necks are quite smooth and easy to play, and the tuners hold up well to using the trem. The problem with the squires is you will need to spend a little time tweaking the action/intonation at first to get it to a good standard.
The reason these guitars are so cheap is they are mass produced, so very little attention is paid to detail. That also means that one guitar can vary a lot from another even from the same batch, so be sure to play the one you want to buy. All that majority of them need is a proper setup and theyre fine, a lot of new players dont know how to set them up properly and just regard them as rubbish.

If you really decide you want to upgrade later, just swap the p'ups in it for something a little more vintage.
No they arnt, I have an Affinity squier strat, and its very good for the money, i had it set up, and thats all i did to it, feels easy to play and feels very comfy for play too. It IS a great starting guitar, and i'm glad it was my first electric, i have a jackson kelly, but i still find myself picking up my good 'ol trusty strat and messin' around with it. The only beef i have with it is that when i do some small dive bombs it goes out of tune, If i get some good tuners it should fix it a bit.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
No they arnt, I have an Affinity squier strat, and its very good for the money, i had it set up, and thats all i did to it, feels easy to play and feels very comfy for play too. It IS a great starting guitar, and i'm glad it was my first electric, i have a jackson kelly, but i still find myself picking up my good 'ol trusty strat and messin' around with it. The only beef i have with it is that when i do some small dive bombs it goes out of tune, If i get some good tuners it should fix it a bit.

Nut > Tuners for stability
Nothing wrong with Squier per se. ..

Just go in and play some... low end guitars are always hit and miss so stay away from online sources unless you want to get stuck with something you don't want. If you buy from the store you can take it for a test drive and return it in a week if you don't like it.

In my opinion, the Standard series can play very nice if set up properly, but if you really want to get something that will play great and hold a decent resale value then get the Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified. . . preferably the CV series.

I think the CV 60s or 50s are both great guitars... sure they cost a lot more than a bullet or Affinity, but when you want to move up in 3 years you won't be sorry you bought one because you'll actually get some of your money back when it comes time to resale the damn thing. These guitars are hot right now and they seem to be holding value quite well. Many people find them better than Mex Standard strats.

If you do get a bullet, just make sure you find the one that feels right to you- play as many as you can before buying it and get it set up right away...

If you practice your heart out you can make any bullet with a true neck and a good setup sound good. . . but you'll always know that it would sound even better on a Classic Vibe. . . but if money is an issue . . . don't even trip just get one and play!
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Oct 17, 2009,
I've liked the Classic vibe Squire Strats that I have played and the CV tele that I tried was really nice. If I had to pick one it would be the tele but thats only because I have the Fender Classic Players 60s strat and I would like to have a tele at some time.
Quote by jmeyer1022
Maybe look for a used Mex strat.

Dude, the TS .. ahem, emokitty, lives in Indonesia!

MIMexico strats ain't bad, but how many do you think end up in Jakarta?
I love my squier cv60s in 3tsb.

It's just as good as any vintage reissue MIM fender. The quality is really there. I am soo content on just this one strat.
Quote by numinis

So you're saying that single coils can't be used for rock and metal huh? Damn I'd better go tell Kirk Hammet that he's doing it wrong. With the right amp, which is the really important bit, you can use single coils for rock and metal. They just need an amp that can get them doing it properly.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
So you're saying that single coils can't be used for rock and metal huh? Damn I'd better go tell Kirk Hammet that he's doing it wrong. With the right amp, which is the really important bit, you can use single coils for rock and metal. They just need an amp that can get them doing it properly.

While your at it, tell Kurt to turn the damn wah off
The Standards and Affinity series are pretty hit or miss. The Vintage Modified and Classic Vibes series are pretty good.
Seriously don't buy a squier, they really suck :x I was to buy a squier as my first electric guitar, thank god I didn't.
You should think about the types of music you want to play, research a lot in the internet about guitars, read tons of reviews about them and do whatever you think is useful for you to pick the right one. I'm sure you'll find the right electric guitar this way
Hope I helped.
Quote by WeWon'tDie
Seriously don't buy a squier, they really suck :x I was to buy a squier as my first electric guitar, thank god I didn't.
You should think about the types of music you want to play, research a lot in the internet about guitars, read tons of reviews about them and do whatever you think is useful for you to pick the right one. I'm sure you'll find the right electric guitar this way
Hope I helped.

Not really.
I've played some really, really nice squiers (as in better than a Mexistrat).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Not really.
I've played some really, really nice squiers (as in better than a Mexistrat).

It really depends on how much money you have to spend. I have a Squier Tele Custom II p90 which for me is a really nice playing guitar once I set it up the way I like. If you are unsure what you are buying take someone along with you who knows more about buying guitars.

Its all about getting the right guitar for you. My first guitar was a cheap stat copy and hard to play but it did let me learn what I wanted from a guitar so when I cam to buy a more expensive guitar I knew what I was looking for. At the price you are looking at spending a bit more gets a noticeably better guitar.

Good Luck
this thread is absolutely killing me . I use a Squier Bullet LoL. Trems and pickups are bad. Good for a nice blues beginner i must say. At first i played mainstream(and still do) but i started trying to learn blues to improve my picking and finger speeds. These Bullet strats make a really nice blues sound. It was good on that Peas Of Crawp Fender 15G Frontman, now its absolutely sick with the vox va5's reverb. Gotta say this valvetronic stuff is great.

ANYWAYS: I am/was also like you. I know i want to play for life. No REAL direction just trying new things. Though i DO regret getting this guitar, it was a expensive gift considering my family's financial circumstances(yes, we poor lmao) but you cant go wrong when all you do is want to learn. You could learn with a 15 fret kids guitar if your really tried! Overall i think this is a decent guitar too learn all sorts of basics with. (especially maintenance lol jk)

Good Luck, Have Fun, And hit me up with guitar deals if you ever find any!
It's been a while since I opened this and I might as well get my guitar next week. I think the best advice from all these replies is to go out to the music store and actually play on one before I buy it. The one I held at the expo was pretty good but since I was in a hurry I couldn't try it on connected to amps. With the pricing, I could probably afford a mex strat or a $500 guitar or something a little more pricey in general. In fact, that's how much NEW mex strats cost here (yes, we do have them in Indonesia). I really don't want to burden my parents though since my college tuition fees are scraping their savings. Right now I'm only thinking about getting a decent guitar that sounds decent (not awful), something that I can practice with and maybe use for performance if I don't have a friend with a better guitar to lend me theirs. I'll be moving to Australia in one and a half years for the rest of my college degree and I'd be working a part time job then, maybe if I want a better guitar I could save up and buy myself a better one then. I'd probably have a lot more to choose from over there. In the meantime, I'll stop by the music shop and fiddle around with a few things and pick out whatever catches me.