Hi,

My name's Youri and I'm 18 years old.

I've been playing about 5months by now and I've teached myself The Trooper (without solo) and Seek and Destroy (Rhytm)

The problem that I had when I finally could play The Trooper is that when I learned Seek and Destroy I completly forgot how to play it..

I've experienced the same with with SaD because I was trying to learn Thunderhorse by Dethklok 2 days ago,I already lost track of how I could keep up with the rhytm solo part at around 100bpm..

So I'm quite desperate for some advice on how to maintain playing abilities while learning a new song.

On weekdays I have around an hour of free time after my homework and around 12hours on a saturday.
Next year I'm going to college to become an engineer so I'll probably have even less time.

This problem really gets me down and gives me less 'fun playing times'.

Thanks in advance for the tips!
it happens at first but after you get used to the instrument you will just know. for example i listened to mother earth by ozzy the other day and i knew how to play the solo but i completely forgot the song but i just knew how to play the solo even though i have not played the song in a year. i picked up my guitar and just played it note for note. you learn things and forget about them but they will always be in your head.

just spend a lot of time playing those songs randomly and choose a section. just play alot and give it time
Go over the songs continuously. After a while, you get to the point where you don't "forget" the songs.
There are plenty of songs that I've completely forgotten ("Enter Sandman", and I have little intention of re-learning it), but that's due to not playing them in years.
For most part, you should make add covers to your practice regimen. It helps out immensely. You'll get a better sense (phrasing) of how to play the song(s) and improves your technique.
Don't concentrate on just one song. Play both when practicing each and every day.
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
Allright I'll keep up with it,is dividing 1/4th of the time into replaying previous songs enough?
Quote by Youri
Allright I'll keep up with it,is dividing 1/4th of the time into replaying previous songs enough?

thats impossible. i have been playing for 3 1/2 years and i play covers most of the time. mostly cause improvising does not help you learn technique that well.
Quote by Slatera
improvising does not help you learn technique that well.

It does if you know what you're doing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If you learn chord theory, you can just remember the names of chords and the songs will instantly become easier. You will remember them by chord structure rather than random patterns from tab.

Once done, if you learn your scales, all the riffs and solos also become easier to remember.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud