Hey UG,

I currently own an american standard fender stratocaster, with standard pick ups. I've got a fender hotrod amp and my pedal set up is a fuzz, a tubescreamer and a wah. I think these pick ups sound ok, but i'm looking for something with more soulful/deep sound.

Let me show you some examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Q28zuvd6w I really like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TErQbwHHh_w solo starts at 5:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpxoGtSUqkY

I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks
fender custom shop fat 50's?
i would say texas specials, but thats not what you want.

EDIT:you should be able to get the sound with the correct EQing, try turning the bass up more, use posision 2 pickup for rhythm and 1 for lead, use your tubescreamer for lead. also turn your trebble down a tiny tiny bit.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Last edited by rocknroll93 at Oct 17, 2009,
im bumping this because you need more posts here, you can't just listen to me.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Well you could just get the Big Dipper pickups that John uses. It would get you pretty close.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Dude, that thick tone is in his fingers. I know a guy that can make an ESP with EMGs in it sound like that. Just jam out, work on your technique (wrap your thumb around the neck more, bend upwards, get a good grip on the string before you bend, ya know)

Seriously man, it's fingers.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
Dude, that thick tone is in his fingers. I know a guy that can make an ESP with EMGs in it sound like that. Just jam out, work on your technique (wrap your thumb around the neck more, bend upwards, get a good grip on the string before you bend, ya know)

Seriously man, it's fingers.

touche, but you gotta admit, the pickups do help quite a bit.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
True, a good set up DOES make you sound better. But Hendrix would still sound like Hendrix on a Squier through a Spider II, and a noob will sound like a noob on a '61 Strat through a Marshall Plexi.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Aye, I don't think it's the pickups - I have some stock ceramic pickups and with my AC15 and an overdrive pedal I can get that tone.

I believe it's to do with the EQ, but there's also a tone cut on my overdrive pedal which helps loads (as the AC15CC doesn't have a tone cut knob). I also have 11's which help too.

Quote by p o e
True, a good set up DOES make you sound better. But Hendrix would still sound like Hendrix on a Squier through a Spider II, and a noob will sound like a noob on a '61 Strat through a Marshall Plexi.
That's technique, not tone. If I turn the treble knob to full, it'll sound different if I put it to zero - no matter how I play, it won't change the tone. Sure you might recognize it's my playing style, but it's not going to be the same tone.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Oct 18, 2009,
Duncan SSL 1s are a pretty pickup for a strat. I just put one in the neck of my 60s classic player strat. I like it more than the fender 69 pickup that was in there.
Either look at Fender's Custom Shop pickups, or look up Klein Pickups, CorduroyEW's pickups are supposed to be real good (he can also help with what type of pickups you're looking for). I've also heard good things from Fralin and Lollar.