What exactly does a tone knob do? Obviously, I know, musically, what it does but a friend who doesn't play guitar asks what it does. Then I turned it at different points to show him the sound differences. But he asked what specifically does it do, and I couldn't answer him.

If it matters, I have a RG2EX1.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Assuming it is a passive setup (which is what most electric guitars have), it rolls off the high frequencies. Turning the knob backward seems to increase the bass, but in fact there is simply less treble. The tone control consists of a potentiometer (the "pot") and a capacitor. The capacitor allows the high frequencies to pass through it, but not the low frequencies. When the tone knob is turned all of the way up, it allows the complete signal from the pickup to reach the amplifier. When turned down, the capacitor filters out the high frequencies.
It creates an invisible blanket that gets gradually lowered over your amp from 0 to total % coverage as you roll off the knob.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by FatalGear41
Assuming it is a passive setup (which is what most electric guitars have), it rolls off the high frequencies. Turning the knob backward seems to increase the bass, but in fact there is simply less treble. The tone control consists of a potentiometer (the "pot") and a capacitor. The capacitor allows the high frequencies to pass through it, but not the low frequencies. When the tone knob is turned all of the way up, it allows the complete signal from the pickup to reach the amplifier. When turned down, the capacitor filters out the high frequencies.

That's for the loads of info. Is the tone knob most used for cleans? Because I found when I mess with it on the OD channel... it just sounds like crap.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
A surprising number of guitarists never touch the tone knob. They just leave it turned all of the way on, all of the time. John Petrucci of Dream Theater said in an interview earlier this year that he doesn't know why his signature Music Man guitars have a tone knob, since he never uses them. He is not alone, to be sure. Eddie Van Halen said that his new Wolfgang guitars have a tone knob just in case someone wants one. He doesn't use it, and his "Frankenstein" guitar had only a volume knob. He reported that when he built the thing, he didn't know how to wire up the tone knob so he just ignored it.

Other guitarists have made great use of the tone knob. Eric Clapton's famous "woman tone" came from turning the tone knob all of the way off, though his Marshall amplifier stacks cranked to the gills probably had a lot to do with it, too.

It's all up to you.
^ well i personaly use it alot. I have an amp with DFX so i like to dial some in and/or some reverb and then play random blues and alternative stuff for fun. I find the tone knob realy heaps roll off some of the highs with some of the DFX so they arent as twangy and more smooth. Otherwise i never use it for oerdrive
my guitar is cheap and if i roll off the tone knob its hit however i think on more expensive guitars it makes a difference
I'm bad at Life
Most younger players think that volume and tone knobs are a waste of space. But as you grow as a player you will find useful combination of tone and volume positions. Yes the tone knob rolls off higher frequencies. The pickups,pots and capacitors create what is known as an RLC filter.R=resistive(pot)L=inductive(pickups)C=(take a guess)circuit. Of these there are several types . I suggest a little reading if you need to go farther into how they actually function as I would rather not put every one to sleep.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.