Hey Pit, I need some help with my uni application.

I sent my UCAS application over a week ago because I'm applying to Oxford. I chose to study History and Politics, for which I have to take the History Aptitude Test (HAT). The HAT is a special exam that is currently only used by Oxford.

I have 2 questions.

My first question is: Do ALL (history) applicants take the exam or is a certain number of applicants chosen to take the exam?

My other question: I live outside the UK and go to a French school so I will have to go to Oxford to take the test, how do I arrange to take the test in Oxford?

I really hope that some of you who are or have been in similar situations (whether with oxford or with bristol) can help me out.

Thanks in advance
When and where will the test take place?

The test will be sat on the morning of Wednesday 4 November 2009, by all candidates applying to Oxford for History and its joint schools ( Ancient and Modern History, History and Economics, History and English, History and Modern Languages, and History and Politics). Most UK candidates in full-time education will be able to take the test at their own schools or colleges. Mature candidates may take the test in Oxford or at a regional test centre of their own choosing. International candidates will normally be able to take the test in their own schools or similar institutions, but may need to contact a local test centre. The tests will be marked anonymously in Oxford and successful candidates will receive invitations to interview within three to four weeks.

Sauce:
http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prosundergrad/applying/hat_introduction.htm
Quote by sashki
When and where will the test take place?

The test will be sat on the morning of Wednesday 4 November 2009, by all candidates applying to Oxford for History and its joint schools ( Ancient and Modern History, History and Economics, History and English, History and Modern Languages, and History and Politics). Most UK candidates in full-time education will be able to take the test at their own schools or colleges. Mature candidates may take the test in Oxford or at a regional test centre of their own choosing. International candidates will normally be able to take the test in their own schools or similar institutions, but may need to contact a local test centre. The tests will be marked anonymously in Oxford and successful candidates will receive invitations to interview within three to four weeks.

Sauce:
http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prosundergrad/applying/hat_introduction.htm

Wow, I read tat text like 20 times and never realised the "all applicants" part.

I still don'T know how to arrange to take it though.
All friends I know who have applied to Oxbridge universities have had to go to the university to take the test, sometimes for more than one day if an interview follows. I know one girl who applied for History and Cambridge and she got asked questions like, 'Explain to us the history of smell.' So if you get that interview, good luck buddy!

They should do the arranging for you, but you have to wait for them to offer for you to take the test first (which they'll do through UCAS), as they probably won't just offer it to anyone but only people who they think have good enough grades. If you're worried, email them about your foreign situation, universities are usually very good at emailing back in my experience, especially to applicants.
Last edited by alexmonty12 at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by thedefrockednun
Wow, I read tat text like 20 times and never realised the "all applicants" part.

I still don'T know how to arrange to take it though.

Do you have a university co-ordinator at your school? Why not ask them?
Quote by alexmonty12
All friends I know who have applied to Oxbridge universities have had to go to the university to take the test, sometimes for more than one day if an interview follows. I know one girl who applied for History and Cambridge and she got asked questions like, 'Explain to us the history of smell.' So if you get that interview, good luck buddy!

While relevant, the interview and the aptitude tests are not the same thing, and are not usually held together. I think generally, aptitude tests are done before the interview.
Last edited by sashki at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by sashki
Do you have a university co-ordinator at your school? Why not ask them?

I go to a French school in Hungary, we have nothing of the sort, all the English people here, applying to UK have to do everything alone.

Quote by sashki
While relevant, the interview and the aptitude tests are not the same thing, and are not usually held together. I think generally, aptitude tests are done before the interview.

Yep, the 2/3 of the best results are invited to an interview.
Last edited by thedefrockednun at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by thedefrockednun
I go t a French school in Hungary, we have nothing of the sort, all the English people here, applying to UK have to do everything alone.

Well, any such test needs to be done under supervision to prove it's authenticity.
If there is an international school in your area, try asking them. They might have a session for this sort of thing.

Or ask on the Student Room website, even though they are a bunch of cynical morons.

Also:
http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prosundergrad/applying/hat_arranagements.htm
Last edited by sashki at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by sashki
I've never been to one as big and important as Oxford, but interviews I have done are usually preceded by an exam. I remember one girl missing 4 days off school for her English/Spanish exam at Oxford, so I was just thinking it might be worth asking the university about how long you have to be there too. Better than booking a flight home and finding out you got an interview the next day.
Quote by sashki
Well, any such test needs to be done under supervision to prove it's authenticity.
If there is an international school in your area, try asking them. They might have a session for this sort of thing.

Or ask on the Student Room website, even though they are a bunch of cynical morons.

Also:
http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prosundergrad/applying/hat_arranagements.htm

That's possibly the most depressing place ever.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
That's possibly the most depressing place ever.

I'm glad someone agrees. I was honestly surprised when I first saw it. I never expected a student-oriented website to be so...negative.
Just sent mine off, I'm applying to study Chemistry at Surrey, Sussex, Sheffield, Nottingham and UEA.

I have interviews at Surrey, Sheffield and Nottingham, any idea what I'll be asked?

I think I better get reading new scientist.
Quote by sashki
I'm glad someone agrees. I was honestly surprised when I first saw it. I never expected a student-oriented website to be so...negative.
Haha I never went on it, what's it like? I never 'got the grades' and always knew what I wanted to do so my options were fairly limited. Ended up in a sweet place though, let that be a lesson to all of you.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Just sent mine off, I'm applying to study Chemistry at Surrey, Sussex, Sheffield, Nottingham and UEA.

I have interviews at Surrey, Sheffield and Nottingham, any idea what I'll be asked?

My ex-girlfriend's older sister went to do Chemistry at York, and had an interview at UEA I think. She said the largest portion of her interview was revolved around her chosen subject and what she'd written about it on her personal statement, so maybe print off a copy to read and re-read over and have something to say about everything on there.
Last edited by alexmonty12 at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by EndTheRapture51

I'm in Nottingham right now, and although I didn't have an interview with them, I had one at Imperial College.

It only lasts about 10 minutes. I was told to expect random scientific questions of stuff which we haven't studied in school, as a test of your logical thinking. However, this was not the case. I actually (somehow) told my interviewer that I was expecting him to ask a technical question, so he did.

You basically need to GENUINELY SHOW PASSION FOR THE SUBJECT. How I hated that. Throughout the whole uni application process, you're constantly being told that you need to absolutely cream your jeans at the mere mention of chemistry, otherwise you'll never get a place in uni and die alone in the streets.
Quote by thedefrockednun
I'm pretty sure that I'Ll be taking the exam in oxford....

How to I arange to take it there though?
Everyone's taking it there on the same day, so book a flight? Turn up? Make sure you've applied first? and EMAIL them about it. We're not Oxford but they are.
Quote by sashki
I'm in Nottingham right now, and although I didn't have an interview with them, I had one at Imperial College.

It only lasts about 10 minutes. I was told to expect random scientific questions of stuff which we haven't studied in school, as a test of your logical thinking. However, this was not the case. I actually (somehow) told my interviewer that I was expecting him to ask a technical question, so he did.

You basically need to GENUINELY SHOW PASSION FOR THE SUBJECT. How I hated that. Throughout the whole uni application process, you're constantly being told that you need to absolutely cream your jeans at the mere mention of chemistry, otherwise you'll never get a place in uni and die alone in the streets.

I love Chemistry, I really enjoy everything do to with the subject, from the organic chemistry to all the bonding and the ionic equations and experimental techniques. Everything really.

I dunno how to show it though.

My personal statement is pretty darn good though.
Nawwww you lucky thing I wanna go to Oxford.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.