Hey everyone
ok basically

When I play the high E string, it plays then like theres a sound straight after that sounds like a ringing sound, buzz basically... this happens when I play the 1st, 2nd and 3rd frets, and also when I play the string open

anyone know what is wrong? does the nut need some resin put in? or is it the bridge? I highly doubt its the bridge though

many thanks to those that can help
Raise the action.

Bridge or nut, it should work.

If it doesn't you might need the frets filed.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

If the buzz is on the first few frets, its not the nut. That would only happen at the first fret when played open. I bet the action at the 12th fret is already pretty high so its either a high fret around 4th or its time for the neck to get straightened.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Cherry_09
hmmm yeaa it may be the nut

and filed? what do u mean by that? haha what happens

dont worry you're not going to need to file anything.

like said, measure neck relief. first, because it's so simple to do.

you fret the Low E on the first fret and at the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, you look at the middle frets and see if the string is laying on the fretwire there.

if it is, you dont have enough middle relief.

IF that's the case then post back.

also:

if the relief looks good and you're still getting buzz then check the nut cut height.

also simple to do. look at this link. there's a picture that shows you how.
basically you fret at the 3rd fret and tap the string at the second.

if it's flat on the second string then the cut of the nut is too low.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html

so see which of these 2 things is the problem and post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by Cherry_09
any advice on what I could do? the engineer in the studio my band practices at, got a pencil and put some granite in the nut slot yesterday

yeah you can look at the post, measure the neck's relief, by fretting in two places on the low E.

then you can check the nut's height by fretting in one place, like shown in the link provided. if you are saying you think that's it, then are you saying that the string was laying on the fret when held?

if' it's hard to understand ask a parent to help you.

if that's not possible then slip a bit of white paper under the high e string, in the cut of the nut. that should help by lifting the string a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by Cherry_09
sorry man
i was high the other day
anyway
yea its the nut thats the problem bro

well did you slip a bit of paper under the string?

if so, did it help?

if it did then you can make a mixure of super glue and baking soda, add it to the nut cut with a toothpick. lightly file it smooth and at an upward slant up to the fretboard, after it dries, using another toothpick wrapped with a light sandpaper.

or you can replace the nut.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

How old were your old strings? I know when I let mine go too long I get something like what you're describing.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...