Some scales have chord scales linked with them.
EG:
CDEFGABC
C Dm Em F G Am Bm C
I want to know how to extract a chord scale from any given scale even the really difficult ones. I know that the chords in the chord scale will consist of the scale's notes and that most likely there willl be one chord for each note.
But I don't know much more then this.
Also I have no clue about how to do this with non-diatonic scales.
Can someone give me a few examples like the minor pentonic scale, the blues scale (minor pentonic with passing notes added in) or the C tritone scale (I believe as the tritone scale is so dissonant this is probably really difficult)?
Last edited by Zombiechao at Oct 17, 2009,
CDEFGABC
C Dm Em F G Am Bm C

All the chords have the notes of the C scale in them (B minor should be B diminished). I suggest you look at some on the lessons on Major and Minor scales and chord construction on the site, that should make it all come together
you know the notes in a scale, and you know how to construct chords. just go from there.
there's a chord for every degree of the scale

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Maj Min Min Maj Maj min min -5 (flat 5th)

for example, we can take, Bb major, which would be

Bb Cm Dm Eb E F Gm Am-5
Learn to harmonise the scale by stacking 3rds.

If you take the C Major scale, you get those chords by stacking 3rds, whihc is basically alternate notes:

C D E F G A B

C is the root of your first chord, a 3rd above that is E, a 3rd above that is G

So your first chord is C E G - which is a Major 3rd (C to E) with a minor 3rd (E to G) on top - which makes it a Major chord - C Maj

D is the root of your second chord:

C D E F G A B

a 3rd above D is F, a 3rd above that is A

So your second chord is D F A - which is a minor 3rd (D to F) with a Major 3rd (F to A) on top - which makes it a minor chord - D min

To make 7th chords you stack another 3rd on top of the triad.