Ok, here's my aim. I picked up a super cheap Behringer guitar for 15 bucks (yeah, I know, ), and figured it's a great skeleton for some serious modding. Who says a cheap guitar has to look bad?

I'm no stranger to painting guitars, I've painted my Strat blue and my Jagmaster ocean turquoise metallic with great success. This is uncharted territory however, I'm not sure which way to go about this.

This is the look I'm going after. It's not necessarily a metallic, there's some serious glitter going on here:

It's not necessarily a metallic, there's some serious glitter going on here.

Now I have a few ways to go about this. I went to the local craft store and bought a can of silver spray glitter and three vials of purple glitter. The purple glitter is fine, but the application is what I am fearing at this point. I could mix it with some lacquer, but brushing glitter on might not work too well.

This is where I finally get to the point and get my actual question out. The silver spray glitter would work great, it's fine and the spray would disperse it evenly, but the glitter wouldn't have that purple sparkle. If at all possible, I would like to tint some poly lacquer purple to cover it. I've seen sites that sell tinting dyes but I'm in need of some direction. Are there any products that you guys recommend to help me?

I'm open to suggestions as well, I'm not really tying myself down to one method here. Thanks in advance for putting up with this tirade, and for any help you guys can share.
Quote by casiotone1331

Looks like Metallic Purple to me.

Quote by casiotone1331
If at all possible, I would like to tint some poly lacquer purple to cover it.

Lacquer and Polyurethane are two different things. There is no "poly lacquer". You have to choose one or the other. Lacquer is usually easier to work with and sands a lot easier than poly.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by casiotone1331
Ok, here's my aim. I picked up a super cheap Behringer guitar for 15 bucks (yeah, I know, ), and figured it's a great skeleton for some serious modding. Who says a cheap guitar has to look bad?

I'm no stranger to painting guitars, I've painted my Strat blue and my Jagmaster ocean turquoise metallic with great success. This is uncharted territory however, I'm not sure which way to go about this.

This is the look I'm going after. It's not necessarily a metallic, there's some serious glitter going on here:

Now I have a few ways to go about this. I went to the local craft store and bought a can of silver spray glitter and three vials of purple glitter. The purple glitter is fine, but the application is what I am fearing at this point. I could mix it with some lacquer, but brushing glitter on might not work too well.

This is where I finally get to the point and get my actual question out. The silver spray glitter would work great, it's fine and the spray would disperse it evenly, but the glitter wouldn't have that purple sparkle. If at all possible, I would like to tint some poly lacquer purple to cover it. I've seen sites that sell tinting dyes but I'm in need of some direction. Are there any products that you guys recommend to help me?

I'm open to suggestions as well, I'm not really tying myself down to one method here. Thanks in advance for putting up with this tirade, and for any help you guys can share.

So you have spray equipment?

Couple of options. First up, paint the guitar a similar purple or maybe pink first.

Then you spray on or paint on a metric sh!t ton of clear, then you need a means to apply the flake (it's flake, not metallic). Blowing it on is best , with low pressure compressed air. You could make a flake gun, which is very much like a bong in reverse, with no water. Put the flake in the bottom, air in through the top or wherever through the tube , into the flake, then another outlet where the flake will come out.
That will allow you to give even coverage without clumping.

Then you bury that in more clear.

Tinting clear is feasible, but you will need the right clear, then some kandy tints, but your can of silver metallic will be nowhere near the degree of flake that you can get with...erm, flake.

You can also mix you flake with clear, but you will need a spray gun with 3mm tip and a compressor the size of a house to spray it.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Matt420740
Looks like Metallic Purple to me.

Lacquer and Polyurethane are two different things. There is no "poly lacquer". You have to choose one or the other. Lacquer is usually easier to work with and sands a lot easier than poly.

Ok. I checked the Jazzmaster's paint, and it is a purple sparkle flake polyester finish, it was on Fender's site. Of which I'm guessing you can't buy in stores.

Yeah, I goofed on that one, I meant polyurethane but I'm too hell bent on lacquer, must've inhaled too much Deft. Haha. I guess I'll just use the rest of my Minwax.
Quote by casiotone1331
Ok. I checked the Jazzmaster's paint, and it is a purple sparkle flake polyester finish, it was on Fender's site. Of which I'm guessing you can't buy in stores.

Yeah, I goofed on that one, I meant polyurethane but I'm too hell bent on lacquer, must've inhaled too much Deft. Haha. I guess I'll just use the rest of my Minwax.

Dupil-Color makes some Metallic and some Metal Flake finishes. I'm sure you could find something from them. Or a Sherman Williams or Du-Pont paint store should be able to mix you something. I'd highly recommend trying to find a paint that already has the flake in it. That way you don't have to add glitter, or try to tint Poly.
Quote by casiotone1331

So my post was of no use to you and therefore not worth recognizing?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK

Your post was very informative, but also very a very technical method, and probably involves some equipment that he might not have. It would be much easier for him to go get some purple metal flake somewhere, then just clear coat it. If he can't find any purple metal flake he could go to an automotive paint supplier and have them mix him up a batch. They would be able to match it almost perfectly to what he wants.
Quote by Skeet UK

Oh no it was of great use to me, I typed that last comment up a while before you posted.

I'm gonna make up a blower like you said, it seems to be the best way to apply it. I'm just nervous about the thing looking like a coral reef, lol. I don't have access to spray equipment, but I might just brush on some poly and blow it on.

Thanks!
Quote by Matt420740
Your post was very informative, but also very a very technical method, and probably involves some equipment that he might not have. It would be much easier for him to go get some purple metal flake somewhere, then just clear coat it. If he can't find any purple metal flake he could go to an automotive paint supplier and have them mix him up a batch. They would be able to match it almost perfectly to what he wants.

I wasn't asking you, to be honest.

Not technical at all.

And your "much easier" statement, is what I said to do, but he already has the flakes.

The main problem with flake, is actually getting it onto the clear (if it isn't in the clear, and if it is, getting it out of the gun is the next problem).

So if he gets some flake mixed up, he then needs a 14CFM compressor and a 3mm tip gun, to spray it with.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by casiotone1331
Oh no it was of great use to me, I typed that last comment up a while before you posted.

I'm gonna make up a blower like you said, it seems to be the best way to apply it. I'm just nervous about the thing looking like a coral reef, lol. I don't have access to spray equipment, but I might just brush on some poly and blow it on.

Thanks!

No worries dude.

Blower is the best way if you have limited resources.

That's a Flake Buster, so you can see how it works. Build one like I said, similar to a bong, although that one works on a chimney principle and requires a fair bit of air.

The people who make them look like coral reefs (great comparison), usually pour or chuck the flake onto the wet guitar...bad idea.

So yeah, spray a purple base first (metallic from a spray can if you like) which will help with coverage.

Let that flash off, then apply a couple of heavy coats of clear, but try not to let it run.

Suspend the body, and put some white paper or something, plastic sheet etc, under and behind it, then blow the flakes onto the guitar.

Collect up the flakes that missed, pop the back in the gun ready for going again if you need to.

Then just add your clear coats, 3 at a time, until the flake is buried.

Make sure it is buried, because if it isn't, when you wet sand it you will get lots of white specs show up, because those cheap flakes aren't the same colour right through.

Not how I do it, but then I have a huge spray gun tip and decent compressor for applying flake when I need to...so I mix it in with my clear.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

As for the clear, ideally you want 2k poly as you said. You can get this in cans on ebay etc if you search "2k spray" or similar.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Oct 17, 2009,
Thanks Skeet. I already shot some purple as the base, now I don't have to twiddle my thumbs wondering what to do anymore. The guitar's as dry as the Sahara right now, waiting for me to hit it with some poly.
Quote by casiotone1331
Thanks Skeet. I already shot some purple as the base, now I don't have to twiddle my thumbs wondering what to do anymore. The guitar's as dry as the Sahara right now, waiting for me to hit it with some poly.

Cool. Might want to scuff that base very lightly before the clear goes on...P400 or so.

Had a thought.

You could just use the bong method and literally blow into it, if you have no compressor...probably what you imagined anyway!

Don't worry (or try to hard to) if it won't fully cover in one go. Just spray more clear later and go again.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
I wasn't asking you, to be honest.

Not technical at all.

And your "much easier" statement, is what I said to do.

My "easy method" was not mentioned by you. You misunderstood me. He can have the paint mixed for him at a good automotive paint shop. Not just purchase the flake. He can have them mix his paint, with flake, and it will be ready to spray.

You're telling him to do it manually.

I'm telling him to just go get it mixed by a pro.

Both of our ideas will work. Just because your on the "who to listen to list" doesn't make you the ONLY person around here who knows about paint. And it doesn't make your opinion the ONLY valid one.

He has other options. I was simply giving him one. You got mad when he responded to me instead of you.

Quote by Skeet UK

You don't have to be a dick just because someone else gives a suggestion, thats not the same as yours.

That said. Sounds like he's far enough along to go ahead and use your method. Which will work just fine.
Quote by Matt420740
My "easy method" was not mentioned by you. You misunderstood me. He can have the paint mixed for him at a good automotive paint shop. Not just purchase the flake. He can have them mix his paint, with flake, and it will be ready to spray.

You're telling him to do it manually.

I'm telling him to just go get it mixed by a pro.

Both of our ideas will work. Just because your on the "who to listen to list" doesn't make you the ONLY person around here who knows about paint. And it doesn't make your opinion the ONLY valid one.

He has other options. I was simply giving him one. You got mad when he responded to me instead of you.

You don't have to be a dick just because someone else gives a suggestion, thats not the same as yours.

That said. Sounds like he's far enough along to go ahead and use your method. Which will work just fine.

Quote by Matt420740
It would be much easier for him to go get some purple metal flake somewhere, then just clear coat it.

Yep...he already has the flake and I said to put it on, then clear it. But I gave him the all important means to put it on, which is WHAT HE WANTED TO KNOW.

Quote by Skeet UK

You can also mix you flake with clear, but you will need a spray gun with 3mm tip and a compressor the size of a house to spray it.

This is what you also suggested, that he use clear with the purple flake mixed in...yes and why not. You can't spray flake, through a spray can. Proper flakes are too big, even the small ones.

Trouble is, as I said you need spray equipment and a huge nozzle to do this.

Then of course, you have turned around and said that I assumed he had spray equipment, when I didn't...I asked if he had spray equipment. But your suggestion to get the flake/clear mixed up, does assume he has some serious spray equipment.

So that idea of yours...won't work. Especially if you meant get it mixed into a spray can..for my previously stated reason.

Your first post, didn't even answer any of his concerns. Firstly, you wrongly told him that it was metallic purple, when it isn't (it's flake)...and then, you started being pedantic about "lacquer" not being Poly.

So, no I don't have the right to be a dick when someone else gives a suggestion, that is not the same as mine, but...I think you will find, that my first post, which was straight after yours, is the only post that actually gave him any information. So I do have the right to tell you (and him) that you are wrong, don't know what flake is, how best to apply it or that you can't get real flake in a spray can.

Being on the "Who to listen to list", does not mean I am the only one who knows about paint...very true. But I am the only person I have seen on these boards who knows LOTS about paint, especially custom finishes like FLAKE. Ippon also knows about paint. Actually, he knows more about of the shelf spray paints than I do.

And yes, I did get the ass when he didn't respond to my post. Clearly I jumped the gun.

And, I am not sure I was being a dick in my post to you. I wasn't directing my "assy" post at you, it was directed at him and I did not start calling anyone a "dick".

Anyway...as you say, he seems to be on the right track and hopefully all will be well.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
This is what you also suggested, that he use clear with the purple flake mixed in...yes and why not.

I didn't suggest he use clear with flake mixed in. I think you just misunderstood my post. Its probably the way I worded it. I should have been more specific.

What I meant to say was he could have an Automotive paint supplier mix him the purple flake paint, and have it ready to spray.

I was just giving an easier option if he didn't want to have to mix or apply the flake himself.

I worked in a paint booth at Yadkin Valley Mechanical for several years, we ordered all our paints from Sherman Williams. They can mix you any type of paint you want. Including flake and metallic finishes.

Using a pre-mixed paint would be much easier than having to apply the flake himself, which is why I suggested it. You just misunderstood my post and thought I was trying to tell him the same thing as you. Its all good though

One more thing. The TS said he bought Glitter at a crafts store. Glitter is not the same as the Flake used in paints. Good Flake is usually around .004". Which is very fine. Not to mention most Flake is made of solvent-resistant polyesters that can withstand the chemicals in the clear coat. I doubt glitter is.

He needs to just get some pre-mixed paint, or get the right materials and do it your way.
Quote by Matt420740
I didn't suggest he use clear with flake mixed in. I think you just misunderstood my post. Its probably the way I worded it. I should have been more specific.

What I meant to say was he could have an Automotive paint supplier mix him the purple flake paint, and have it ready to spray.

I was just giving an easier option if he didn't want to have to mix or apply the flake himself.

I worked in a paint booth at Yadkin Valley Mechanical for several years, we ordered all our paints from Sherman Williams. They can mix you any type of paint you want. Including flake and metallic finishes.

Using a pre-mixed paint would be much easier than having to apply the flake himself, which is why I suggested it. You just misunderstood my post and thought I was trying to tell him the same thing as you. Its all good though

One more thing. The TS said he bought Glitter at a crafts store. Glitter is not the same as the Flake used in paints. If he mixes glitter with clear, he is going to end up with a grainy textured finish, unless he piles on a TON of clear afterwards. He needs to just get some pre-mixed paint, or get the right materials and do it your way.

If you have worked in a spray shop, then you know you can't spray flake through a small nozzle, even less so a spray can. So your suggesting he get the flake and clear mixed up by a pro, then assume that he has the 14CFM and 3mm gun to spray it with.

Yep, I am aware that glitter...is not flake, but he has chosen to buy glitter, so for the sake of simplicity, I used the term flake to describe it.

As for my "qualifications" if you will...I only use House Of Kolor paints, Flakes, Pearls etc...in fact I don't use any other products from other manufacturers, even down to my panel wipe.

You always have to clear over flake.

By applying clear first, which he can do with a spray can, then applying the flake with the blower as I suggested, he will get a smoother finish, without clumps. As you say, it will then be rough, until he buries it in clear.

This should be easier than using clear/flake mixed by someone, as then he won't have to get hold of the required Spray equipment.

Anyway, misunderstandings all "cleared" up, I wonder if his guitar is yet?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
If you have worked in a spray shop, then you know you can't spray flake through a small nozzle, even less so a spray can. So your suggesting he get the flake and clear mixed up by a pro, then assume that he has the 14CFM and 3mm gun to spray it with.

I never said to use a spray can. They do make very fine flake that can be sprayed through a standard gun. No special nozzels. You just have to be careful to mix it to the right amount or you will have trouble. Pre mixed paint from somewhere like Sherman Williams or Du-Pont uses this type of fine flake, mixed with the right amount, ready to spray. Even your brand, House of Kolor makes some very fine flake. The MF and UMF flakes. Which can be sprayed through your average 1.3 nozzle.
Quote by Matt420740
I never said to use a spray can. They do make very fine flake that can be sprayed through a standard gun. No special nozzels. You just have to be careful to mix it to the right amount or you will have trouble. Pre mixed paint from somewhere like Sherman Williams or Du-Pont uses this type of fine flake, mixed with the right amount, ready to spray. Even your brand, House of Kolor makes some very fine flake. The MF and UMF flakes. Which can be sprayed through your average 1.3 nozzle.

We aren't talking about fine flake though are we. The OP said, he wanted a finish like the images he posted.

Not fine flakes, won't go through a 1.3 and won't come in a spray can.

I never assumed he had spray equipment, which is why I suggested blowing the flakes onto his clear.

You suggested he get the flakes mixed with clear by a pro so they are "ready to spray", which to me, means you are assuming he has spray kit. And also to me, if someone says they want something "like that", then that is what they want...not fine flakes.

Where is the OP anyway?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani