Hi guys,
I've technically been playing guitar for a couple of years... but I'd only pick it up once every couple of weeks and never got very far!

These last 2 weeks I've been playing a fair bit though, and got myself a new amp
I've pretty much nailed the first few riffs of "Recovery" by Funeral for a Friend, to give you an idea of my skill level.

I have some questions though!!

Picking:
I use a mix of Alternate, Down Picking, and Economy... is that a good thing?
I mean I usually try to just use Alternate, but some times I feel like I have to down pick to make the notes sound clearer, and if there's a complex bit I just naturally go to Economy...
Should I endeavour to stick to Alternate, or is what I'm doing ok?

Using a metronome:
Well, I just cant seem to do it...
When I practice I just play a song at what I think is the right tempo.
I mean.. I can use one at a low tempo, but how is one meant to hear if all the notes are in time at a high setting? As in... many notes per second...

I understand one has to build speed/accuracy progressively, but how do you guys actually even HEAR if you're playing 4 notes per beat or whatever at like 95bpm?

Thanks for your patience, any advice greatly appreciated!

Leadwing
Quote by Leadwing
Hi guys,
I've technically been playing guitar for a couple of years... but I'd only pick it up once every couple of weeks and never got very far!

These last 2 weeks I've been playing a fair bit though, and got myself a new amp
I've pretty much nailed the first few riffs of "Recovery" by Funeral for a Friend, to give you an idea of my skill level.

I have some questions though!!

Picking:
I use a mix of Alternate, Down Picking, and Economy... is that a good thing?
I mean I usually try to just use Alternate, but some times I feel like I have to down pick to make the notes sound clearer, and if there's a complex bit I just naturally go to Economy...
Should I endeavour to stick to Alternate, or is what I'm doing ok?

Leadwing

You can pick any way you want to be honest. personally I use "inside" alternate picking. that is: alternate picking in the gap between adjecent strings.

It all depends on what you want to play as well. some songs will require you to mostly down-pick while other faster songs (and solos) will require you to be good in both economy and alternate picking.

Just go with what's comfortable and what feels right.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Seriously I'd go pure alternate. I used to pick the way you do and learning strict alternate picking was the best thing I ever did for my guitar playing.
As for the metronome: Start out real slow (like maybe 40) and say ONE, two, three, four, ONE, two, three, four as you're picking each note. Strike the ONE a little harder than the others to accent it. That way when you speed up you can tell whether you're on/off beat by the accented note.
After that it's just a lot of practice.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Thanks for the great advice guys
Yeah I was thinking going pure Alternate, its kinda tricky though when switching strings I just naturally pick it the easiest way, I shall try though!
Definitely keep your alternate picking up to snuff. You might not use it all the time, but it's good to know you can do it when you need to. In general, just pick whatever way is most comfortable and natural to you. As long as you can do it up to speed, you're good.