I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100. I bought it about 2 months ago and I've been playing roughly 1-2 hours a day. I've noticed that the strings were getting kinda dirty, so I bought EB super slinky 9-42. The strings are on nicely, but I am getting a sharp hiss when playing. Also, I am hearing some fret buzz (but I am an amateur, so this may be my fault as well). Since the strings are a different gauge, what should I do to make the guitar sound correct?? If I had $20 to spare, I'd take it a pro, but I don't, and I'd like to learn this skill anyway. Any instructions on how to correct the problems? Note: there is a little bit of fret buzz before as well with the stock strings.

Thanks in advance!!
Hm... What do you think is causing the hiss and where is it coming from?

Since you changed the guage, your intonation is going to be off... You should refer to the set-up thread under Electric-Guitar for this, but I would recommend adjusting the intonation (twisting the little screws under each string on the bridge... I don't know what to tell you about the hissing and buzz, though... It could be that the action is too low or that the neck is bent (truss adjustment), but those things really should be done by a pro if you have no clue what you're doing...

Good luck, man! Let me know if I can help you any more...
Could be that you need to get 10's or man up and get 11's. IMO 9's on a 24.75 scale guitar are WAY too flimsy and they feel like rubber bands.
The hissing I am not sure about, but the fret buzzing could be caused by several things.

1. Truss Rod - The guitar's neck should be as straight as possible, you can tell weather is has a front bow or a back bow just by looking at the side but a better way would be to stand directly over your guitar and look down the side of the neck. If the neck is leaning forward you need to tighten the truss rod, it the neck leans backwards you will want to loosen it. But be careful as tightening the truss rod too much or making it too loose could severely damage the neck *and when I say it could I mean it will*.

2. Frets - If the frets are not level it could cause a lot of fret buzz, you could also fix that at home cheaply but its best to take it to be worked on by a pro until you learn more.

3. Neck Angle - The guitar's neck might be sitting at a bad angle, if its a bolt on neck this is really easy to fix. Supplies Needed - Screwdriver, Business card or paper plate or really anything that will fit the size you need. Just place it where you need it to achieve the correct angle.

4. Action - Your action might be set too low, this is also something you can do at home easily.

5. Nut - The cut in the nut might not be allowing the string the clearance they need, some people fix this with misc materials but its also not that hard to replace a nut, and if its a locking nut you only have to remove 2 screws.

6. Picking - You could be picking too hard, the harder you hit the string the more flop there will be which means the more they will hit the frets.

Please Read This
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Oct 17, 2009,
Hi.

First the fret buzz. It could be one or a combination of a few things. Firstly as the guitar was set up with a lighter gauge string than youve put on then this puts more pressure on the neck - the strings "pull" more - so you need to check that the neck is straight. Check this by looking down the neck from both ends. If there is any noticable curve in the neck then you need to adjust the truss rod. You access the rod under the plastic cover on the head of the neck. Google "truss rod adjustment" or check here on UG and you will find a ton of info on how to check and correct the neck. If the neck seems straight then it may be the "action" - the height of the strings relative to the neck may be off. Again there's lots of info online - try "adjust guitar neck action" - youll find info and diagrams etc to help you. It's all straight forward stuff and you'll also find some more tips on how to check if you're guitar is set up like it should be. Once youve got the neck straight and the action to your preference then intonation needs checking. Again, it will probably do you more good to read up on this for yourself and if you get stuck post questions but most pages that explain it are fairly easy to use. PM me if you like.

The hiss.. hmm, what kind of amp are you using? It could be a loose connection somewhere i guess.. as youre guitar has humbuckers - im asuming it does anyway - and im not much of an electrical genius all i can recomend is check all connections, jacks and the like for anything that might be loose. Is your amp volume turned to max when this happens? Is it a new problem? Before i could make a guesstimation i need a little more info.

Anyway, sorry i didnt have time to explain it all in detail but like i said reading up on this stuff yourself is invaluable. If youre anyhting like me then you like finding out stuff on youre own but if youre stuck post or PM and i'll do mybest to help you out. Good luck!