Page 1 of 2
I just saw At the Gates, Forrest Gump(lulz.), and several chinese nanking massacre movies and Saving Private Ryan today.
They were pretty awesome when you look at the music aspect, but they make me kinda depressed and those movies make me think about it.

I mean look at the Pit:
Dick in their hands, in a comfy chair with warm clothes and lotsa food watching a movie about people who had to sit hungry in dirt and mud just to get killed.

I know war movies don´t represent the real-life wars AT ALL.
My Grandfather went to fight the japs (Chinese-Allied side) and came back as a psychotic vegetable neurotically jumps under a table whenever he hears a loud sound. And everytime he talked about the war he cried. It´s VERY sad to watch an old man cry. For obvious reasons.

Makes me kinda mad at myself being angry at lesser problems tennagers deal with for some reason.

How do they make you feel?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Bitter because those stupid Allied forces ruined it.

Honestly. I don't know. I'm not very sensitive when watching. I find them more fascinating and interesting than sad and horrible.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Oct 17, 2009,
Watch Rambo 4.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Forrest Gump was 'Nam, not WWII.
PSN: snakeXdoctor

Quote by OneOfTheseDays
My friends cat smokes, wears a leather jacket and swears at me when i look at it.He is really fat so it makes it even more funny.
I wasn´t saying that Forrest was in WWII, i just saw it today for no apparent reason, duh.

It´s still a sad movie, stfu.

@Dreadnought:Are you high again, or are you talking the truth?
This isn´t the robot world war you know.

Also, I like black.

Last edited by Dawnwalker at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by Dawnwalker
I wasn´t saying that Forrest was in WWII, i just saw it today for no apparent reason, duh.

Sad movie? If that's a sad movie I don't know what's not a sad movie...
Sad that I wasn't around back then to scalp some Nazis
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Quote by Tire Me.
Depends.

Movies showing reality of war: sad.

Inglourious Basterds: happy.

WWII Games: happy.

Not always.
Cod:WaW made me feel dirty and rather guilty after playing each time:
Bayonet a dying Japanese soldier? Set fire to a load of them horribly with a flame-thrower? Shooting dead surrendered Germans?

That game was brutal.

Films, if done right, can have the same effect. I sometimes feel guilty for enjoying the madness and carnage in a war film.

We discussed this at college not long ago.
War movies make me sad. :[
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Sad movie? If that's a sad movie I don't know what's not a sad movie...

Scary Movie?

Ok, these things are SAD to watch, Scary Movie is so cheesy, it makes me cry.

Also, I like black.

Quote by metaldud536
Doesn't make me feel sad. Just makes me more aware of what happened during those times.

SEconded.

Since I come from a country which wasn't really involved in WW2, the level of awareness/botheration is pretty low.
BTW is there some movie which looks at the war from a nazi perspective? I've only seen movies where the allied forces are projected as virtuous heroes and nazis as brutual extremists. Surely allied forces were equally brutual with their killings.

So any recommendations?
Quote by Heminator89
BTW is there some movie which looks at the war from a nazi perspective? I've only seen movies where the allied forces are projected as virtuous heroes and nazis as brutual extremists. Surely allied forces were equally brutual with their killings.

So any recommendations?

Der Untergang?
Yea, WWII movies make me kind of sad. Two of my grandma's brothers died out there somewhere in eastern Europe. And knowing the ****in Soviet Red army they were probably marched into certain death with a 1/4 rifle to soldier ratio. Germans shooting from the front and the Soviet NKVD shooting anyone who runs away from the back.

Scary ****. Knowing that you probably will die and accepting it.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Quote by DZCunuck
probably marched into certain death with a 1/4 rifle to soldier ratio.

My History teacher told me that 1 out of 4 people were given one gun while the other 3 followed the first one with an additional clip of ammo.

How the **** are you supposed to win a war this way?

Also, I like black.

Quote by Dawnwalker
My History teacher told me that 1 out of 4 people were given one gun while the other 3 followed the first one with an additional clip of ammo.

How the **** are you supposed to win a war this way?

Soviet did that and won the WWII
They didn´t really "won" ,well nobody wins in wars.
But the Americans waited fairly long before they entered the bombed cities in europe.

Also, I like black.

I like The Great Escape, real exciting.. massivly exagerated of course, but its the spirit/courage of the men i admire, i'd like to think that was a more realistic part of the film
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Dawnwalker
They didn´t really "won" ,well nobody wins in wars.
But the Americans waited fairly long before they entered the bombed cities in europe.

Well they annihilated the German forces and captured Berlin. I'd say they won the war in the end.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Well they annihilated the German forces and captured Berlin. I'd say they won the war in the end.

if you look at it that way, though i don´t like the word "annihilate".
(except Annihilator, awesome Band.)

yes.

Also, I like black.

Last edited by Dawnwalker at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by Heminator89

So any recommendations?

Downfall

Stalingrad

Das Boot

Letters from Iwo Jima
(from the Japanese POV)

The only i can think of at the moment.
Quote by Dawnwalker
if you look at it that way,

yes.

How else should I look at it? That's what happened.
feels good man

seriously, some make me sad, but some just make me learn more about what happened...
I'm usually filled with sadness, anger, and admiration. Sadness for all the good soldiers who died, anger towards Nazis and war itself, and admiration for the armed forces.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
How else should I look at it? That's what happened.

The whole "1 rifle, 3 men with clips of ammo" only really happened before 1943 as the Soviet armies lost so much equiptment in the first year of war and were totally unprepared for war with Germany.
The whole rifle thing is mostly known for it's representation in films about Stalingrad. The STAVKA did this as they needed to save the vast majority of rifles at Stalingrad for the mass-armies being built on the other side of the Volga for the counter-attack.
Also, raw recruits thrown into battle had a 80-90% chance of dying in their first 24-hours in Stalingrad; to the STAVKA it would be seen as a waste of precious rifles to arm each and every soldier when 4 in 5 would die in their first day alone.
After 43' most Soviet soldiers were better-equiped, especially at Kursk and Kharkov.

History ftw.
Quote by Moggan13
The whole "1 rifle, 3 men with clips of ammo" only really happened before 1943 as the Soviet armies lost so much equiptment in the first year of war and were totally unprepared for war with Germany.
The whole rifle thing is mostly known for it's representation in films about Stalingrad. The STAVKA did this as they needed to save the vast majority of rifles at Stalingrad for the mass-armies being built on the other side of the Volga for the counter-attack.
Also, raw recruits thrown into battle had a 80-90% chance of dying in their first 24-hours in Stalingrad; to the STAVKA it would be seen as a waste of precious rifles to arm each and every soldier when 4 in 5 would die in their first day alone.
After 43' most Soviet soldiers were better-equiped, especially at Kursk and Kharkov.

History ftw.

Well Soviet didn't have equipment enough for their army at any time during the war but because of their sheer amount of people they could afford huge losses. Although that bit about 1 gun per 4 soldiers weren't really what made them win. Just something to give the Germans a chance.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Well Soviet didn't have equipment enough for their army at any time during the war but because of their sheer amount of people they could afford huge losses. Although that bit about 1 gun per 4 soldiers weren't really what made them win. Just something to give the Germans a chance.

The Soviets lost about 6-8 million SOLDIERS in the war, about half dying in captivity in POW camps.

Such a staggering amount of men dying, many bodies never being recovered and families never knowing what happened to their loved ones.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Der Untergang?

Yes, yes, yes. Downfall is one of the best films I've seen. I wouldn't call it a war film, though, despite its setting and time.

The same goes for Holocaust films, I can't quite consider them WWII films.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh

The same goes for Holocaust films, I can't quite consider them WWII films.

I've been curious about whether or not they are actually WWII Films
I'm making a poll
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1217151
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Oct 17, 2009,
ww2 movies make me wish it was 1940
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Quote by Moggan13
The Soviets lost about 6-8 million SOLDIERS in the war, about half dying in captivity in POW camps.

Such a staggering amount of men dying, many bodies never being recovered and families never knowing what happened to their loved ones.

I believe they lost a lot more than that to be honest.
Quote by Dawnwalker

@Dreadnought:Are you high again, or are you talking the truth?
This isn´t the robot world war you know.

I was being honest
My God, it's full of stars!
Page 1 of 2