Page 1 of 2
Looking for suggestions on a 5w tube amp for my new apartment!

I play blues and basic, clean rhythm guitar for Springsteen, Van Morrison, Dylan type stuff.

Cheers UG, always there to help when I need new gear!

Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift
I have a Fender Pro Junior, and it's fine for me in university halls, just straight up volume and tone. If you get chance to play it loud then it has a great tube breakup. Problem is they are quite loud despite being 15 watts, and you need to have some volume for it to be "alive". I'd also look at the Champion 600s that Fender do now, just two valves and 5w, I havn't tried one personally but I've heard plenty of good things.
Fender MIM Telecaster (w/SD Little '59)
Boss DS-1
Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff
Digitech EX-7
Marshall Echohead
Fender Pro Junior
Thanks man!

Forgot to mention I have a Fender Blues Junior, its just too big, and I know what you mean about volume to make it alive so 15w would be too much!

As for guitars I play a USA Strat

Looking at the Vox AC4TV, could anybody tell me about that?

Don't steal, don't lift
Last edited by Defunkt at Oct 17, 2009,
if you're willing to use the BJ for more american-sounding cleans, and willing to spend a little more, how about this?

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/index.htm

it's not 5 watts, but the power scale means you can get it a lot quieter than the 5-watters (barring perhaps the vox you mentioned, which also has variable wattage).

i haven't tried the vox yet, but I can't imagine it could be anywhere near as nice as the valvepower.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can try the bugera v5, reverb attentuatpr and headphones jack too. Can go to .1 watt.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Go on to eBay (UK), search for RAT in amplifiers. I have one based on a Pro Junior circuit but with a 3 band EQ and power scaling (like the Valvepower), which is essential for living in a flat (like I do). Suggesting a stock Pro Junior for apartment use is ridculous. I had a Pro Junior and it is stupendously loud, as most 15w valve amps are.

I also had an AC4, which is also a great amp. The 1/4w setting is about as much as you'll need in the house, but there is a 1x8 version with a 1/10w if need be.

I'm of the opinion that the best option for you would be a Rat, although I might be selling mine to get a Valvepower - only due to wanting a Plexi clone.
If you can afford them, either a Cornford Harlequin or Cornell Romany. Both are about £600 though ebay will help there if need be

They are both single ended class A amplifiers. The Cornford is 6W with a single EL84. The Cornell is 10W with a single 6L6. It has a power selector switch which allows you to go to 5W, 2W and even a quarter Watt.

Both are also hand-made and point to point hand wired
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Oct 17, 2009,
Thanks for the help!

Budget is actually quite low, around €200, and want to stay away from eBay. Would like to stick with Thomann/GAK so my choices are quite limited, I think its between amps like the Harley Benton GA5, Epi Valve, the Vox, pretty much the common choices.

This is just a practice amp in the end for dicking around, I don't need to go too obscure or rare here!

Don't steal, don't lift
Go for the Vox. Cranking a 5w valve amp in an apartment is going to really piss off your neighbours.

On top of that, the Vox is better.
Quote by SWBS_DJ_GUITAR
Blackstar HT5 or Orange Tiny Terror

The HT-5 is a good amp but is very loud even for an apartment and the Tiny Terror is too expensive and mediocre.
Quote by greggybhoy

I'm of the opinion that the best option for you would be a Rat, although I might be selling mine to get a Valvepower - only due to wanting a Plexi clone.

just bear in mind it's an 18 watter clone, not a plexi clone. though i'm not certain how big a difference there is...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
why tube?

and a 5watt amp is still f'n loud.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
My best advice would be: Headphone jack.

I have the Vox AC4TV and even on the 1/4 setting I'm pissing off others in my house.

5W tube amps are surprisingly loud.

I believe the Bugera and the Marshall Class5 both have a headphone output.
Last edited by TinyJimbo at Oct 17, 2009,
Well you didn't say what your budget was but thought about this? 1 watt to 20 watts, perfect for small area and more.

Valve Junior and a POD.The POD will control the volume and you get great low volume tone.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
^^Budget is about €200, that looks cool but I couldn't afford a head and a cab!

^Cool I'll look into that!

And I'd like to go tube just because I like tube amps, the sound, the feel, they just seem to have more life than SS, to me anyway.

I'm not talking about playing the amp very loud, I've been getting away with the BJ at home at the lowest volume, its just the size, and having to lug it around my new place!

Whats a 5w compared to a 15w?

And I'm guessing the 8"-10" compared to a 12" speaker would make a big volume difference too?

Don't steal, don't lift
Quote by Defunkt
I've been getting away with the BJ at home

teehee.

And I'm thinking about getting the Vox too, but as to the Tiny Terror being too expensive, you could try the AD5 (Orange) for about the same price as the Vox.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
why tube?

because the apartment is where he lives?

I'd like to have a good tone at my home.. would you not?
blackheart little giants are pretty good from what I hear or maybe a vox night train
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Get the Vox, it's as quiet as your gonna get and besides no one said you have to always crank an amp to full volume.

Also it takes pedals well so if you want more tones just get something like a Tech 21 SansAmp to play through it for versatility.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Defunkt

Whats a 5w compared to a 15w?

And I'm guessing the 8"-10" compared to a 12" speaker would make a big volume difference too?

yeah, but it's still going to be loud. 5 watts, everything else being equal, should be a bit quieter than 15w, but it's still nowhere near bedroom volume.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers for all the replies!

Right, I've brought my Blues Jr to the new place and it is definitely too big! Haven't even plugged it in yet!

Since 5w Tube seems too loud as well, what are the best options for an amp with a headphone jack?

Plus I'll be selling the Fender so I think I can bump up my price range to say €400ish, if I can manage to sell the bloody thing...

Don't steal, don't lift
if you can get up to 400 euro, that might be enough to get you that valvepower i mentioned plus a cheap cabinet (e.g. the harley benton one on thomann, or maybe the epiphone valve junior 1x12), assuming you like vintage marshall tones. the power scaling will let you get down to bedroom levels.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like the look of it but my biggest problem is size.

I have a sitting room to myself most of the time, but then I have to lug it upstairs (the place is actually a house) to my room to store it away, and the Blues Junior is just that bit too big.

The biggest I could go for would be a 10" speaker combo!

Don't steal, don't lift
I would look at the Vox AC4, Bugera V5 and the Valvepower that keeps getting recommended! All 3 have variable wattage or powerscaling in the case of the Valvepower so can be brought down to much more reasonable levels. The Bugera V5 has a headphone jack as well so it's definitely worth a look, unfortunately I've no experience with it, if it came out earlier I'd probably have looked into myself.
They have these crazy things called master volumes on some of these new fangled amps....

Tube amps don't have to be cranked. You could play a 100 watt halfstack at bedroom volumes if you wanted to.

Quote by EMGPWNS
They have these crazy things called master volumes on some of these new fangled amps....

Tube amps don't have to be cranked. You could play a 100 watt halfstack at bedroom volumes if you wanted to.

Yes there are master volumes, however, he wants to achieve the holy grain of power amp clipping, he'll need to crank his master volume.

Tube amp sound better when cranked, and he'll need to do it to get the power amp dirt for zee bloos.

If you're a metalhead who wants headroom and preamp distortion, a 100 watt stack is still manageable. If you want to achieve soft clipping, even a 1 watt amp will be too loud.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Defunkt
I like the look of it but my biggest problem is size.

I have a sitting room to myself most of the time, but then I have to lug it upstairs (the place is actually a house) to my room to store it away, and the Blues Junior is just that bit too big.

The biggest I could go for would be a 10" speaker combo!

oh, ok. the actual valvepower head is tiny, actually, and really light too. it's only 12" by 8" or something like that. you could get a 1x10" speaker cab, i guess, but they may be harder (and more expensive) to find. However, only you know your exact situation, and if you suspect it'd still be too big, then don't chance it, kind of thing. it is awesome, though, the price is ridiculous for how nice it is.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get the Vox AC-4 1x8 combo. It's tiny, and the 8" speaker plus the fact is has a 1/10w setting as opposed to a 1/4w means that it will be at "real" bedroom levels. £150 or thereabouts too - you can't say no.
Do you like the blues jr or not?

I used to think it was too loud also.
I tried three different 5 watt amps and the superchamp.
I still use the blues jr more than the rest.

Try vol 2.5-4 master 2.5 and guitar vol 8.
If you are afraid of sound drop them to 2.

If you have a MIM strat they are louder pickups
than the MIA strat so roll back the guitar volume.

It can play as quiet as the 5 watt amps.

Oh, the ac4 or ht-5 can go softer
but at that volume they don't sound
that great and you wil hear the acoustic
sound of your electric competing with the amp.

portable, The fender champion 5w for $150 USD.
Thanks for all the help guys!

The update is; tried some amps like the Microcube, Orange AD-5 and the Fender Champ, and, yes, 5w tube is quite loud!

So decided to keep the Blues Jr, selling it's not worth the hassle in the end.

Do have one more question though, how effective and worthwhile are pedals like Wah or OD at bedroom volumes? Do you need to push the amp to get the full, desired sound and tone from them?

Don't steal, don't lift
i find pedals pretty effective at lower volumes. depends on what you're using them for, of course, but a lot of players would use an overdrive or distortion to let them get closer to that cranked up sound at lower volumes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Defunkt
Thanks for the help!

Budget is actually quite low, around €200, and want to stay away from eBay. Would like to stick with Thomann/GAK so my choices are quite limited, I think its between amps like the Harley Benton GA5, Epi Valve, the Vox, pretty much the common choices.

This is just a practice amp in the end for dicking around, I don't need to go too obscure or rare here!

Check a fender Super Champ XD. Sounds quite good at low volumes, as it is a emulator. Power circuit is tube. Very versatile, great practice amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i find pedals pretty effective at lower volumes. depends on what you're using them for, of course, but a lot of players would use an overdrive or distortion to let them get closer to that cranked up sound at lower volumes.

Even at really low bedroom volumes? Would be using it for bluesy playing mostly, Rory Gallagher kind of stuff!

Found out there are rehearsal studios pretty close to where I live, so could finally get a chance to crank the amp, now and then anyway!

Don't steal, don't lift
yeah. still won't sound as good as the amp cranked up, but should be pretty good. Also you can use them to get tones your amp can't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The super champ won't be any quieter.

OD and wah will be fine.

I have tried ocd, crunchbox, ts-9, big muff, etc.
OCD is the best and works well at low volumes.
Crunchbox is good and may have too much gain.
Ts-9 is nice but not that great at low volumes.
Big muff is ok but really fuzzy.

depends on your guitar too, what make,
model, single coils or humbuckers.

And of course what sound your after.
Thanks guys!

^ And you're dead right on volume, when it comes to bedroom playing it's all the same really.

Not looking for anything too high gain, just a nice lead tone.

Is the OCD still seen as one of the best ODs?

And for the Wah was looking at the Vox V847a, seems a bit on the cheap side though?

Don't steal, don't lift
Last edited by Defunkt at Oct 26, 2009,
Page 1 of 2