ok so me and 2 friends are arguing how to transpose a Drop D power chord ( open strum on the D, A, D chords ) to standard tuning ( EBGDAE)

My friend says it should be played like this

7fret ( a string)
5fret ( d string)
5fret ( e string)

but i say it's wrong

i say

because it has the notes an open drop D chord has ( D, A, D) but my friends tab is ( A,D,A)

but i think my tab is an octave lower

who's right?

we both know we can play it

on the D and A string, but we want to play it in 3 strings
You're both right, his is just inverted, so the fifth's the lowest note.
He could just play
on the A, D, G strings, that would be one octave higher. Which would also be D, A, D
His, since it's lower on the neck, will have a little more growl in it than the one higher on the neck. Also like Grimms said, he could play the chord on the A string.
Or he could use
On the E-A-D-G strings.

It's just a matter of preference.
u culd also simulate a low D power chord in standard tuning by baring:
A-5
E-5

wat u have now is the 5th and the top octave but ur missing the low D but it still sounds an octave lower than:
G-7
D-7
A-5
E
I agree with Apollo X.
Playing:
On the E-A-D-G strings gives the chord a much fuller sound. It's also convenient in the sense that you could play D chords (and even low C |3355xx| on those same strings) without changing your guitar's tuning.
Quote by Guitarded21
I agree with Apollo X.
Playing:
On the E-A-D-G strings gives the chord a much fuller sound. It's also convenient in the sense that you could play D chords (and even low C |3355xx| on those same strings) without changing your guitar's tuning.

this chord would sound closer to a drop D power chord. because the 5th is now lower than the root it will sound deeper and fuller. all you would need is the low D to make it drop D. funny thing is, supposedly the ear has trouble telling the difference between the root an the 5th. i do these versions of power chords a lot actually to fill out the sound. mostly because if im with another guitar player, i dont like to play exactly what hes playing so if he plays a regular version of the chord, and i do the one with the 5th in the bottom, it kind fills out the sound a little better i find.
Arguably the best chord to use is this one, same as what's been posted before but you get the bonus of the resonance of the open strings

e|-----
B|--2--
G|--3--
D|--0--
A|--0--
E|-----

A three note inverted powerchord sounds a little harmonically ambiguous which is not what you want if you're looking for an emphatic-sounding resolution to D, likewise playing it an octave higher will sound a little weak.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 18, 2009,
My preference would usually be to put the fifth on the bottom, but it depends on the song.