Hi all, I'm looking to record myself playing and singing. I'm at an amatuer level so I don't need pro quality gear -- I just enjoy playing guitar and singing along. And basically, I'd like to share it with some people.

What I'd like to do is be able to play, record myself with my video camera and post it on YouTube, but with good sound quality. I always see these videos of people playing and often the sound quality is so pathetic it's really a degrade of how well they sound.

Here's the list of equipment I have:
  • HSS Strat
  • Vox AD30VT-XL
  • HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop
  • Canon HG10 AVCHD camcorder

First off it looks like I'll need a mic. As I know I need one of those I'll do some more research and see what I can find on eBay/craigslist for cheap. I don't have an amp/speaker for the mic -- my intent is that it'll just go into the computer for recording (if that's possible).

Other than that it seems like I need something that I can plug my amp's line-out, as well as the mic into. And then maybe that device would plug into one of my USB ports on the computer? Don't know if my camera would go into this as well.

Actually, now that I think of it I don't know how I would get all of this to sync with the video. Or would I use the junky speaker of the camcorder but use the "Out" jack for this?

Is there such a device that I can do this with? Something relatively inexpensive?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
you can try to find a external mic for the camcorder this will record much higher quality audio than the built in mic, your camera should have a accessory "dock" or "shoe" on the top, or a MIC input, most likely a 3.5mm input. There are usually generic external mics, and then sometimes you may find that canon makes one specifically for their cameras, i would go with one of these if you can find it. And this way, you won't have to worry about syncing audio and video. i'll see if i can find a good mic for this camera online...
Try a shure sm57 mic and USB interface such as the Line 6 UX1. You would also need a DAW such as Cubase to record. You can either buy professional DAW's or download free ones such as Reaper, Audacity and Kristal.

To sync the video just mute the audio of the original and place the MP3 over the top of the video in WMM. Just play around till you get the right sync.
Shure sm57, a little mixer, recording program, bingo!
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Okay, thanks for the info so far.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
You can plug the amps line out in the sound card of your computer. Record the audio with the computer while shooting the video. Load the video from the camera and the recorded audio into a video editor. Sync up the audio track with the audio recorded by the camera then delete the camera's audio track. You have good audio with the video.
I'd suggest getting a mic like an SM57 or something less common, but useful, and using the 'mic in' of the camera.

I end up using my Toneport UX2's analog outs into the mic in of my camera. It works pretty well, but I have never bothered to spend time getting levels right because it's youtube.
the sm57's still a hundred bucks or so, you might wanna look at a pg57, won't sound as good, but it'll cost half the price. it'll be more sensitive too
get some basic usb recording interface, wouldn't sound so good to use a small console with an output to the soundcard, it'll sound more or less the same as the mic in the soundcard, so you might wanna try that too.
Yeah, "Audio Interface" was the term I think I was looking for. Seems there's one type that'll plug into my 1/8" mic input on my 'puter and a digital type that will plug into USB (someone mentioned there's another that'll plug into FireWire).

So something like this would do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Fast-Track-USB-Audio-Interface-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ230389058161QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a4420a71

I assume the XLR/TRS combo jacks will accomodate instrument cables. Correct?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Oct 19, 2009,
New questions...

Would a mic lilke this be useful or would it be best to just get a "regular" one? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/1462382592.html (Also, comments on price for this would be nice).

And more generally, would this device accomplish my needs of being able to plug my guitar (from amp) into the computer? http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/msg/1463108146.html (and price?)
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
New questions...

Would a mic lilke this be useful or would it be best to just get a "regular" one? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/1462382592.html (Also, comments on price for this would be nice).

I'd definitely go for one of these, although $65 seems a little steep used.

An SM57 and interface is a decent enough choice but it comes down to whether you want a mic that:

1) Picks up the guitar amp only, in high quality

2) Picks up the entire room (ie your vocals etc)

If you'd prefer #2, a condenser mic like the C01U is ideal (also very easy because you won't need an interface). You can also use it to mic your amp directly, but you'll get a slightly different sound (the clips on my profile are of my amp mic'd with a C01U).

If you've got a good amp, a good dynamic mic (Samson SM57, Audix i5, Sennheiser e609 etc) with a decent preamp will do a great job of getting your guitar into the computer, and is the same sort of quality you'd expect in a studio. You'll probably want to give it a little treatment to stop it sounding too dry, since a dynamic won't pick up the 'room sound' the way a condenser does.

If you want high quality and know a bit about recording/engineering, I suggest getting a USB interface with two XLR inputs, then get a dynamic and a condenser mic.
Mess about with the positioning and carefully blend the signals together, and you'll get a really clear natural sound - as well as picking up your speech etc in the room.
if you wanted to step it up juuust a notch, record the ideo of you playing and overdub the actual sound. pick up a shure sm7b as it's great for both cabs and male vocals. also pick up a halfway decent interface. MOTU makes some great stuff that's great value for the price and simple to use. as far as DAWs go, tough to beat Reaper for free, but you can get something like the basic sonar package for pretty cheap too.

...best part of recording with a mic is (1) it'll feel more real, and (2) it's fun to play with room ambience.
Okay, sorry for the noobish questions here but let me see if I understand correctly.

A "condenser mic" (like the C01U) is best for singing into but not so much for my amp. I was planning on using the Line Out of my Vox straight to the computer (well, through the device attached to my computer).

And a "dynamic mic" is more for instruments?

But if I wanted the most straighforward method possible I could just get that USB condenser mic and plug it straight into my computer. It would then record everything in the room (me singing directly into it as well as whatever sound my amp makes in the room I'm in).

Then I could just use Reaper and not have any device between these things?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Okay, sorry for the noobish questions here but let me see if I understand correctly.

A "condenser mic" (like the C01U) is best for singing into but not so much for my amp. I was planning on using the Line Out of my Vox straight to the computer (well, through the device attached to my computer).

And a "dynamic mic" is more for instruments?

But if I wanted the most straighforward method possible I could just get that USB condenser mic and plug it straight into my computer. It would then record everything in the room (me singing directly into it as well as whatever sound my amp makes in the room I'm in).

Then I could just use Reaper and not have any device between these things?

Spot on.

You can use a dynamic mic for vocals but they won't sound as good, and you have to be within a few inches of the mic. Equally, you can use a condenser to mic a guitar cab but won't sound quite as focused or tight, and it'll pick up the sound of the room too.
Quote by kyle62
Spot on.

You can use a dynamic mic for vocals but they won't sound as good, and you have to be within a few inches of the mic. Equally, you can use a condenser to mic a guitar cab but won't sound quite as focused or tight, and it'll pick up the sound of the room too.

Thanks for the confirmation on this. I really appreciate the simplicity of it now.

So if/when I want to mic my amp I'll get a dynamic mic as it'll only be happy picking up the sound coming right around it. And I'll get a condenser mic for my vocals.

One question about that though. I play in a relatively small room (15' x 15') so if I use a condenser mic (like the one above) it'll pick up the sound of the amp regardless, right?

I'd been planning on using the Line Out of the amp to go to the computer and then use my vocal track to lay over top of it, but it sounds like that won't work because my vocal mic would be picking up the amp sound as well as vocals, right?

But when I'm sitting downstairs in my office and am just playing my accoustic the condenser would be perfect, right? I could play and sing and both sound sources would get picked up concurrently?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native