I've been looking for a Cliff Burton/Chris Wolstenholme type tone, and have tried a lot of pedals, almost all of them being BOSS and Digitech (I can't find any stores with other bass pedal brands) and have been thoroughly dissatisfied.. Would a regular Big Muff get me close to their sound?

Also, what kind of effects are going on at 1:29 in this video?
Last edited by Alex Vik at Oct 17, 2009,
A few years back my band did a cover of Hysteria by Muse using an EH Big Muff on the bass, and people thought we used a recording from the song. Depends how you tweak your settings I suppose, but the Big Muff did what it needed to do for us.

Edit: I think I actually remember reading somewhere that a Big Muff is one of the pedals Chris uses. Maybe.
Last edited by lyingfromyou at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by lyingfromyou
A few years back my band did a cover of Hysteria by Muse using an EH Big Muff on the bass, and people thought we used a recording from the song. Depends how you tweak your settings I suppose, but the Big Muff did what it needed to do for us.

Edit: I think I actually remember reading somewhere that a Big Muff is one of the pedals Chris uses. Maybe.

I think he used a USSR Big Muff and bi-amped to keep ow end. And then he has his Akai Deep Impact for the synth aspect.

Cliff, I believe, also used a Big Muff (don't know which) and a fuzz-wah (definitely in Anesthesia) but a Big Muff would probably cover it for Orion. I definitley prefer Chris' tone, even his Origin era OD (before he went completely synth/fuzz).
Quote by Spaz91
Use the bass Big Muff, its the same circuit as the USSR Big Muff except with a blend feature and a bass boost so you don't have to bi-amp.

A big +1 to that.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
A Bass big muff would get you close enough for both. If you were going for one or the other, I'd tell you to get a synthy fuzz such as the MXR Blowtorch for Chris's tone and a Russian Big Muff for Cliff's. The problem is, neither bassist used any of those pedals. Chris uses an obscure (and IMO pretty crappy) muff clone called the Human Gear Animato with an Akai Deep Impact, a synth pedal which has been discontinued for a long time. Cliff used an old "Rams Head" Big Muff, not the Russian Big Muff, though thats the closest pedal currently in production (At least that EHX makes).

Don't obsess over either's tone. Just get a Bass Big Muff (or a nice muff clone) and be on your way
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by Spaz91
Use the bass Big Muff, its the same circuit as the USSR Big Muff except with a blend feature and a bass boost so you don't have to bi-amp.

I don't have any stores near me that have a bass big muff. The store I found with a big muff had only one, and they had to order it.
Quote by Alex Vik
I don't have any stores near me that have a bass big muff. The store I found with a big muff had only one, and they had to order it.

internet
Quote by Alex Vik
I need to try a pedal before buying it.

You don't need to with pedals, really. There's no 'feel' factor. Just go on youtube and look at some soundclips. If you're looking for fuzz BassFuzz reviews are pretty good.
Or order it from MusiciansFriend and if you don't like it, return it. They have that 30 day return policy. Bass Muff is what you want, trust me.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Spaz91
You don't need to with pedals, really. There's no 'feel' factor. Just go on youtube and look at some soundclips. If you're looking for fuzz BassFuzz reviews are pretty good.

Soundclips tell me nothing. I thought the Peavey Windsor was crap until I played one in person. I'm gonna bring my amp up with me to the store tomorrow to try the Muff out.
www.musewiki.org
I thought Chris use a Muff indead for Hysteria, but you never want to sound like "Band A" or "Bassist B" Just try the pedal and look if you like it.
I saw a Muse cover band and the bassist had a purple Behringer Overdrive-pedal or so. And it sounded pretty good actually...

And that effect sounds for me like a fuzz with scooped mids and not so much bass, or some equalizer/filter stuff.