hey UG, im looking to buy my first acoustic guitar and im looking to spend max 650 canadian. i was looking at a taylor 110 in my local guitar shop because it fit the price range and it was left handed

what i want to know is would it be worth the money to buy the 110? its the cheapest guitar taylor makes i think. i played it for a long time and it felt great but will i start to run into problems down the road with it?
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
I say go for it. If not, check out Ibanez acoustics. I was surprised by how much I love mine. Really high quality for the price. Or look into Alvarez. Or even Takamine or Breedlove. Actually definitely look into Breedlove. My uncle has the $600ish model and it is the best I've played in that price range.
ill definitly try to check out those brands but i have to find lefty models wich is a huge pain, but ive been told to stay away from ibanez i dont know why though
thanks for the advice!
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
I have a taylor bib baby and I love it.

That's all i have to say on the matter.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
No, unless of course you compared it in an unbiased way to other guitars in its price range and still liked it best. Personally I can't stand Taylor guitars under the 300 series.

Also, you've been told to stay away from Ibanez because they have crappy quality control, crappy build quality, crappy sound quality, and dreadful customer service.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by Natrone
No, unless of course you compared it in an unbiased way to other guitars in its price range and still liked it best. Personally I can't stand Taylor guitars under the 300 series.

Also, you've been told to stay away from Ibanez because they have crappy quality control, crappy build quality, crappy sound quality, and dreadful customer service.

thanks for the advice, do you think you could recomend a guitar i should be looking at then?
I'd look into Seagulls first and foremost. They're my favorite brand and they build fantastic guitars. You should be able to get an SWS (solid wood series) guitar at that price point. You could also look into Epiphone Masterbilts, Alvarez, and Takamine to name a few, and you MIGHT be able to score a used Breedlove at this price as well.

To find a guitar good for you though, read up on acoustics and what effects their tone. The acoustic FAQ in the announcements is a great place to start.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Oct 18, 2009,
YES, a resounding yes. I have a Taylor 110, and it plays beautifully and sounds like a dream. Taylor HAVE NOT as far as I'm concerned, compromised on the sound. Yeah, it has laminate sides and back, but I still think it sounds great. The guitar is lower in cost because Taylor have used slightly cheaper alternatives in their construction (for example, the sound hole and binding being plastic, rather than abalone or some more expensive material), and also because IIRC, Taylor build their 100/200 series at a factory in Mexico some 40 miles from their Californian plant. Hence, they can get away with slightly lower operating costs for the plant, and hence a lower cost for the guitars, but the materials used for both entry level and premium Taylors are the same.

Look, the advice I can give you is if you like the sound of the guitar (and unless you really, REALLY try to treat it badly, it'll only get better with age) then buy it. Look around for other instruments if you must, but set yourself some sort of spending limit, because it's so easy to go to a shop, and then find a slightly better acoustic for a few more dollars, and then another for just a few more, etc, etc. If you've found a good tone, get it! There'll always be a better guitar round the corner, but it's up to you to decide where to draw the line
I agree with the last part of your post about having a set price for sure. My cousin went to a Guitar Center intending to get a $300 beater guitar and walked out with a $1000 Breedlove Atlas A/E
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
can't see why you think you'd run into trouble down the road with a taylor 110. laminate is actually more stable than solid wood. i love how the 110 sounds - well, i love the 114 a bit more, but they both sound good to me. they have a lot of consistency when it comes to build quality, too - which is always good on the ones i've seen.

ibanez focuses on looks, and their laminate guitars lack the sound quality of seagull, yamaha and taylors. not all that thrilled with their hardware, either. if you like the taylor, it's a good choice, but you might also want to check out the yamaha fg730s and just about any seagull.

btw, the cheapest guitar taylor makes is the baby followed by the big baby.
I am VERY pleased with my 110, and I have played a hand full of guitars. ( lower and higher quality ) For the price it's not as good as a solid wood martin, but better than a Yamaha.... ( not that Yamaha's have a bad guitar I own a FG720 )
It's worth it. The 110 is made exactly the same way as the more expensive models, and the quality control is identical. It's just the wood and decoration that differs.
Yamaha 730S is hard to beat for a solid top lam body guitar. Seagulls are very nice as well!

Play as many as you can before you buy. Have fun!
Yamaha FG730S