Page 1 of 2
I came home last night to this! A 1991 RG550!

The flash makes the scratches stand out much more than they do in normal light. Unless you're at the right angle, you can barely see them at all. And this RG550 has no neck joint paint crack, so the scratches are a small price to pay, especially for a 20 year old guitar!

So I restrung it today and it plays veeeery nicely. Very fast and smooth and it has GREAT action.

Something I certainly didn't expect - it has a Lo-Pro Edge! Stays in tune beautifully, even with the brand-new strings. And I'm just curious - is mine set up to the correct balance? The bridge is parallel with the body, but in the FR Setup thread, the diagram for the Lo-Pro shows that it should be on a bit of an angle...

I was surprised by how much I liked the pickups after hearing so many mediocre reviews of them. They sound great with the maple neck - very snappy and perfect for playing some Arsis However, when I switch to the middle position (single coil), I lose any gain that I have, the sound becomes clean, and there's a fairly large volume drop. Anyone know what's up here?

And by the way...If anyone ever wants their guitar strung perfectly, contact me

Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
****in' sexy man, awesome guitar.

HNGD
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
hot! we essentially have the same guitar! (different branding, different trem/pups)
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Yeah, two 550 NGD's in a week. I'm jealous that yours came with a case though.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
holy s**t that thing is f**king gorgeous!! too bad for those scratches huh? but if they arent too noticeable...it would still bug the crap outta me just knowing they're there. reapainting is always an option though. looks great though! congrats and HNGD!!
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Thanks for the comments, guys
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by no.mop

very snappy and perfect for playing some Arsis

ah, you mean these guys?

too bad they don't have that bassist or that drummer anymore! that dude was SICK. definitely the cleanest, best-looking technique ive ever seen, and he used the whole kit extensively!

i know this isnt an arsis thread, but what are some of your fav songs? my fav and the first one of theirs i heard was face of my innocence, and they kicked off their set with that one! overthrown is pretty badass, prob my favorite on 'Nightmare'

nice guitar!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I have to agree with Face of My Innocence; that's an AMAZING song. I also really dig We Are The Nightmare since learning it
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Meh, scratches are nothing on something as lovely as that. I normally don't post in here, but you compelled me. I had to...HNGD!
Makes my RG550 happy

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
The whole We Are The Nightmare album is so fucking good. Arsis
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by no.mop
The whole We Are The Nightmare album is so fucking good. Arsis

+1 Love that album. My Oath to Madness is my favorite track. Can't wait to see them with arch enemy next year.

And HNGD!!!

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Scratches are kind of a bummer, but it still looks great!
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Lo Pro Edge is indeed meant to be at an angle I didn't realise it at first on mine and had it sitting parallel for at least a year and a bit, I felt like a total tool.

And HNGD the RG550 are great guitars and well worth the money.
Darren Cesca is one hell of a drummer. The only member left in that picture is James Malone. Ryan Knight left as well to play for TBDM. Oh well, James Malone is essentially Arsis...

Nice guitar, brother! I have been GASing for a 550 forever!
HNGD!

about your middle pickup, sounds like something could be wrong with it. check the soldering and stuff like that, im not really an expert, but it probably shouldn't be doing what you described
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe w/ FR
Hamer XT-series SATQ
Fender Stratocaster
'75 Fender F-35 Acoustic
Amp
Vox VT15
Pedals
535Q Crybaby Wah
I creamed.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
oh **** i didnt realize the other guitarist left too! damn that sucks! but i think they got their original drummer back. but i still liked the guy who played on Nightmare

that photo was from april 2008 when they opened for shadows fall. i figured their particular brand would take some getting used to before the crowd could get into them, but within the first two songs, the whole place was roaring. at least at that venue, i didnt see lively reactions to most opening acts. i was really happy to know that many other people were willing to expend their precious energy on an opening act!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

You suck.

I was wearing black jeans too.

Thanks. Anyways HNGD!
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
HNGD!
The knife edge (the little rectangle you can see in the side of the trem) should be parallel with the body. As for the middle pickup, check the wiring, but it could just be because of the output difference between the humbuckers and the single coil.
Your middle pickup problem is indeed an issue. You should get some reduction in output vs the humbuckers, but not so much as to cause an OD sound to go clean.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The scratches suck, but it's still a beautiful guitar.

HNGD!
sex.

HNGD!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
want want want!!!

So jealous HNGD!!!!!!!
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
I'd never paint over that amazing red just because of a few scratches.

HNGD!
Nice guitar

ALong the top edge of the bridge plate you'll see a little notch, that's your marker for levelling the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for the Lo-Pro setup comments, I'll be setting it up nicely in a little bit!

I'll probably be checking the wiring or something later, but what should I be looking for as the cause of the lowered output?
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by no.mop
Thanks for the Lo-Pro setup comments, I'll be setting it up nicely in a little bit!

I'll probably be checking the wiring or something later, but what should I be looking for as the cause of the lowered output?
try wiggling some wires around while strumming with the middle pickup and see if you get any jumps/cuts in volume. If you do, you need to whip out the soldering iron as one of the connections is just barely hanging on.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Flame maple fretboard is so hooooot!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by ch0
try wiggling some wires around while strumming with the middle pickup and see if you get any jumps/cuts in volume. If you do, you need to whip out the soldering iron as one of the connections is just barely hanging on.

Could just be a dodgy selector switch, the one in my RG gave up the ghost after about 12 years.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Could just be a dodgy selector switch, the one in my RG gave up the ghost after about 12 years.

Messed up for only the middle position though?
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

Quote by no.mop
Messed up for only the middle position though?
You never know. Still sounds more like a wiring issue to me though. The 5-way switch in my 20 year old RG works fine still.
Quote by Marty Friedman
RGs ftw?

You have my Ibby's older sister by 2 years. HNGD! I know you're enjoying it as much as I am.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Last edited by RR787 at Oct 18, 2009,
Page 1 of 2