how should and what should i practice? ive been playing for 2 years. what is the most important stuff to be able to do on a guitar that will make you a better player? what kinds of exercises should i do and what scales? and what ever else should i do. i like to play hard rock/metal/classic rock so what should i exercies, and scales should i practice every day to get better.
major.minor, understanding of chords

but its not really what you practice its how,

if its to easy for you, you are just rehearsing
if you sit and take it slow, make sure you understand, make sure its correct than thats practice
When it comes to playing, the key thing to achieve for any line that you want to play cleanly, is to make sure that you pick the string at the exact same time that your fingertip touches the fretboard.

Slow right down and really listen to your playing. When you get it perfect and can play it at tempo, record yourself and listen back to it critically. Analyse what should be different and do it again.

Playing an instrument is just as much about listening as playing the notes.
To the guy who posted the youtube video, check your emails for your warning.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
To the guy who posted the youtube video, check your emails for your warning.

i didnt get a message? u sir are a buzzkill.
Quote by rocker222
i didnt get a message? u sir are a buzzkill.

1) Check your junk folder
2) Id suggest if you dont want a ban you stop spamming
3) Read the dam forum rules.
Been away, am back
Why don't you have a guitar lesson once every fortnight/10 Days from someone who will teach you exactly what you need to know
That way you can practise whatever he tells you to practise over a 2 week or a 10 day period, you'll improve a lot quicker doing this.
Also just generally playing a few hours a day is enough to make you improve, playing more hours a day essentially means you'll improve faster.

Practise Scales, or just try learning songs,
If you want, you could learn songs from a variety of different genres, that way it widens your range of playing.
Quote by Logz
1) Check your junk folder
2) Id suggest if you dont want a ban you stop spamming
3) Read the dam forum rules.

Isn’t spamming technically just putting in adds into discussion forms. Also spamming is constantly putting in the same thing over and over again multiple times. I didn’t do that, I didn’t spam!
Quote by rocker222
Isn’t spamming technically just putting in adds into discussion forms. Also spamming is constantly putting in the same thing over and over again multiple times. I didn’t do that, I didn’t spam!

Keep arguing with the mods boy, I hope you enjoy your warnings and/or ban

TS: There isn't really anything specific you need to know to make you a better player but I would advise that you just learn everything you can; theory, techniques, songs, whatever.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
just try to learn a new song every day
it works
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by rocker222

Post again something that isnt related to this thread, and we'll discuss this issue in the FOTB for a month.
If you want to carry on arguing your point (which is irrelevant considering your wrong) then you can private message me.
Been away, am back
I find an hour out of a day then spend half of it doing stuff like trying to master scales, building speed, trying out a new technique, etc - then spend the other half hour practicing a song that I think is challenging.

I've never gotten bored from that mix.
What I've been doing has seemed to work pretty well:

Pick a couple of techniques that you're pretty bad at and practice each of them everyday. Try to find a nice riff, lick, etc. that has the technique you suck at in it (e.g. if you're practicing 3 string sweep picking, picking something like Bullet For My Valentine - Eye Of The Storm solo ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFG-Xz24j3Q ))

It doesn't matter how fast the riff is, just slow it down until you can't play it perfectly, and then slowly move up. Doing this should make you better at the technique you're crappy at.

Remember when you're practicing to stay relaxed and not have any tension in your arms, wrists, shoulders, etc.

And if that doesn't help, you can always learn some more scales and such.
Practice:
1. everyday
2. consistently
3. slowly
4. with a metronome
5. songs you like