So I am at the moment completely hopeless with pinch harmonics, but I am working on them. I recently learned Toxic Garbage Island by Gojira but Ive replaced the harmonics with extreme bends. My question is should I learn pinch harmonics before learning any other songs with harmonics or learn the songs first, because some of my favourite songs have quite a bit of harmonics.
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Pinch harmonics are a pain in the ass to get consistent at. I'd just learn the songs first and work on the pinch harmonics separately. Try doing them at every fret though because you have to position the pick slightly differently depending on what fret you're on. And definitely go heavy on the vibrato when you do them.
well they arent that hard i would just learn them before learning the songs once you get the hang of it its simple but learning shadows fall and lamb of god made me learn them and i fell in love with them
Well, learn the song, and while playing the parts with pinch harmonics you should at least attempt them. Otherwise you won't be used to the motions of going from picking normally in the song to doing a pinch harmonic. So I suggest dropping those extreme bends and replace them with your pinch harmonic attempts. After some time you'll be able to get a pinch harmonic each time, then you just need to learn which pinch harmonic to do. If you don't already know, but should know, you get a different harmonic by doing it in different areas around the pickups.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Yeah pinch harmonics are like those vague pictures you see something else in (best way I could explain it ), you just have to get that 'click', once you get it at least once it'll be easy
Do you understand the physics and everything behind harmonics? Basically, a harmonic is just dividing the string into several parts that are all ringing in unison. For instance, a natural harmonic at the 12th fret divides the string in half. At the 12th fret, it's not ringing, but between the 12th and the nut, and the 12th and the bridge it is. So essentially, that is just like fretting at the 12th fret. The 5th fret N.H. is equivalent to the 24th fret (string is divided into 4 parts, nut to 5th, 5th to 12th, 12th to 24th, and 24th to the bridge). Since the last segment of the string is ringing between the 24th and the bridge, that is the fret you hear. Once you get that, you just have to practice.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Do you understand the physics and everything behind harmonics? Basically, a harmonic is just dividing the string into several parts that are all ringing in unison. For instance, a natural harmonic at the 12th fret divides the string in half. At the 12th fret, it's not ringing, but between the 12th and the nut, and the 12th and the bridge it is. So essentially, that is just like fretting at the 12th fret. The 5th fret N.H. is equivalent to the 24th fret (string is divided into 4 parts, nut to 5th, 5th to 12th, 12th to 24th, and 24th to the bridge). Since the last segment of the string is ringing between the 24th and the bridge, that is the fret you hear. Once you get that, you just have to practice.

Those certainly are not the physics behind harmonics, you simply explained the locations of harmonics on a guitar. I could get into the actual physics behind harmonics which involve fundamental frequency and how to determine the frequency of harmonics and how they are created, but I'm not a physics major and don't wanna wrack my brain trying to remember all of that.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.