So, I stopped by my local guitar store today, and they had a 75% off sale on a lot of stuff that had just been sitting there not being bought.

Part of the deal was an old Marshall 8412 cab.

The Toltex was ripped, but there is not a single mark on the MDF itself.

So, my question is...

Did I make the right call on buying it for $66?

Last edited by Crydius at Oct 17, 2009,
That's the old Valvestate 4x12 right? For $66 you might as well have grabbed it I guess...
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
You can't beat it for $66....hell you could probably double that selling it on Craigslist or something right now...
There was a Crate 4x12 with Vintage 30s for $124.

The 8412 has G12L-35s.

I've never heard 35s, but I've heard they were budget speakers?

I wanted the cab because it was small, but the guy that works there was talking about how nice the cab sounded and how he was thinking about grabbing it for himself, mainly for the size.

But I don't know anything about it, other than a few forums via google saying that it sounded nicer than a 1960a cab.

I know it's made in England, and that's pretty much it. And the guy said he thought it was made in 1988.
its a good cab, get it NOW, retolex it with snakeskin tolex and be the greatest one in your city, please
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Oh, right.
That's a mesa cab right next to it.

The guy that owned the store said it was one of the most disappointing cabs he's ever played for the price.

It's on sale for $500.
From what I've read online,

MDF is very solid and dense, giving the cab more emphasis on the low-end of the tone. Making the sound very bass-y. Which is what the 8412 was supposed to do. It's higher quality than the Plywood used to make the 1960A cabs.

See, I don't know if this is true though, so any help is appreciated.
MDF is certainly not higher quality than the wood they use on the 1960s. It's a particle board. It's uses are limited essentially for budget cabs. I have never heard an MDF cab that I didn't find to be muddy and lacking in coherence. Why do you think so many people go out of their way to replace the MDF back of modern day 1960 cabs?
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 18, 2009,
I have tried it and IMO it's pretty bland sounding. We have one where I praticse and there's a reason I never want to use it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Crydius
The 1960 is Plywood. How is playwood any different than MDF?
MDF is MDF. MDF is a particle board, bits of wood fiber, particles, taken and pressed together. 1960 is... Birch plywood. That's the difference and that's a huge difference.

Baltic Birch ply is the standard for making Marshall style 4x12s (which essentially almost all 4x12s are). MDF is a cheap budget wood used to make low end cabs. If you are really think that MDF cabinets are better than Birch ply cabinets then you're better off buying MG/MC/AVT cabs over higher end Marshall, Mesa, Bogner, Orange, etc. cabs. I personally have not heard an MDF cabinet yet that I did not think sounded like shit. But that's just my ears, others might be different.

The 1960a cabs suck mainly because they come with really crappy speakers and are sometimes subject to poor assembly, not because of their wood.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by Crydius
There was a Crate 4x12 with Vintage 30s for $124.

The 8412 has G12L-35s.

I've never heard 35s, but I've heard they were budget speakers?

I wanted the cab because it was small, but the guy that works there was talking about how nice the cab sounded and how he was thinking about grabbing it for himself, mainly for the size.

But I don't know anything about it, other than a few forums via google saying that it sounded nicer than a 1960a cab.

I know it's made in England, and that's pretty much it. And the guy said he thought it was made in 1988.

you should've picked up that crate cab instead. I'm not sure of the build quality of the cab, but at least you get good speakers.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I was advised against the crate by one of the workers, he said that while they are Vintage 30's, they were not REAL Vintage 30's and sounded really flat in comparison to real, VINTAGE, Vintage 30s

I don't know.

the size is what really got me. it was a LOT smaller than a normal cab and would fit in the back of my Civic. :/
Quote by Crydius
I was advised against the crate by one of the workers, he said that while they are Vintage 30's, they were not REAL Vintage 30's and sounded really flat in comparison to real, VINTAGE, Vintage 30s

I don't know.

the size is what really got me. it was a LOT smaller than a normal cab and would fit in the back of my Civic. :/

He must have it mixed up. He's probably thinking of Greenbacks when he says vintage Vintage 30s (they're not that old).

If you need a small cab, get a 2x12 instead. Better cab for less!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Not true.

The cheapest 2x12 they had was almost $300.

They're impossible to find in Vermont.