does anyone really like vinyl anymore?
they still make it, even though nobody buys it except hipsters.
Seems to me like the actual "record" industry is losing money
sup, my name is abe
Quote by abluesman100

Vinyl > mp3.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Because it is losing money.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
I have a few (50-60) and I feel its more of an experience than picking up my ipod and listening to music.
Quote by abluesman100

i don't even know how to respond to this without using the word "fuc/king" 1,000 different times.
If you want to shine like the sun first you must burn like it.
There's a thread on vinyl here somewhere...

My college roommate had a computer program to add vinyl-like qualities to songs (warps, scratches, etc...) Twas pretty awesome...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

^ I use a plugin for that when I produce tracks, especially when I sample an mp3. That way it sounds like my samples came from the original records (sometimes they do!).

Well, I listen to vinyl quite a bit. Sometimes I make mix tapes to cassette (best idea ever for my girlfriend's birthday) and stuff like that. The whole 'warm sound' thing is cool and all, but it's honestly not that noticeable (I also avoid low quality mp3s, so there isn't a huge sound change when I go to vinyl or cd).
It's definitely about the experience, though. Sitting around my living room with my room mates and listening to a record is a really interesting experience that a good portion of kids my age (20s) are missing out on.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I got my dad's old vinyl collection and record player a few months ago. I love it. I'm such a huge classic rock freak I treat all of his classic Queen, Pink Floyd, Beatles, etc albums like relics. There is definitely a huge difference in sound quality though. I heard things I had never heard on the CD or mp3 versions.
Quote by Daffodil Lament
What the fuck is a vinyl??

A record.

Your sig killed a piece of my soul.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by millerdrr
A record.

Your sig killed a piece of my soul.

A record like a CD? Why not just call them CDs.
Quote by Daffodil Lament
A record like a CD? Why not just call them CDs.

You've never seen you of those?
Quote by Mr. Slave

You've never seen you of those?

No what the fuck. How the hell do those even play music!?
Quote by Daffodil Lament
No what the fuck. How the hell do those even play music!?

Quote by Daffodil Lament
Relax. You've been trolled, again. By me, again.

I realized that a while ago.
Quote by Daffodil Lament
I'm sorry for trollin'. I just couldn't resist.

Its ok, trolling is fun.
Vinyl > CD > MP3 > Tape

Not only does this have to do with sound quality, but with vinyl, you really have no choice but to really listen to the music. I DJ and work with vinyl/turntables all the time, and I can tell you that there is just no substitute. At all.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Vinyl > CD > MP3 > Tape

Not only does this have to do with sound quality, but with vinyl, you really have no choice but to really listen to the music. I DJ and work with vinyl/turntables all the time, and I can tell you that there is just no substitute. At all.

In what way?

I miss my collection Without trying to sound cliché, I really find listening to vinyl much more fun than CD's, the big artwork is a plus too.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1156407
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
My sister absolutely loves them. She collects all of them. She must have at least 100!
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
I love my vinyls. I've got about 150 of them and my record player is one of my most treasured possesions. I buy new vinyl at every opportunity which means I usually buy three or four every month.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
vinyl=overrated

I like the idea of collecting old or rare albums though. But listening to vinyl is such an inconvenience compared to cds or mp3s.
Quote by daytripper75
vinyl=overrated

I like the idea of collecting old or rare albums though. But listening to vinyl is such an inconvenience compared to cds or mp3s.

This. I like them but cds are much easier
Quote by slipknot5678
This. I like them but cds are much easier

Exactly. I like being able to have my entire music collection at the click of a button. So convenient.

To me vinyl is more of a novelty than anything else.
I have a decent collection, mostly old but some new.

I loves mah vinyl.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by daytripper75
Exactly. I like being able to have my entire music collection at the click of a button. So convenient.

To me vinyl is more of a novelty than anything else.

But an awesome novelty with delicious sound.
Quote by R0CKER1220
But an awesome novelty with delicious sound.

I'm not saying I don't like vinyl. I just think it is overrated.

Yeah the sound is good and it has a special feel to it, but it isn't something I can't live without.
Quote by daytripper75

Yeah the sound is good and it has a special feel to it, but it isn't something I can't live without.

Wait. I've never actually listened to a vinyl album. But you say the sound is good? I can understand a special feel, but the sound? From what I've heard people talk about, theres all this sort of subtle static, and an airy sound in the album. The whole point of CD's was to make listening to music easier, with better sound quality, so you don't get all that shit in it that you did with vinyls, right?

I'm really not sure, but I've listened to vinyl edition songs on youtube, and there's always a "kssssshhhhhhhh" noise in there, which really pisses me off. I like the cleanliness of CD's and mp3s.
Quote by daytripper75

I understand, but I really like them. But this is coming from a person who is interested in buying a typewriter and likes old/antique things .
i have hundreds and i'm not nearly ironic enough to be a hipster
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
I've got a bunch and so does a friend of mine. We collected them for awhile. We've got original pressings of Hendrix, VH, Cream, etc. albums. I even bothered to buy Systematic Chaos (which I didn't really like in the first place) on vinyl. I've got probably around 100 while he's got atleast triple that. It wasn't really for the sound quality (which isn't all that noticeable except for the distortion aka warmness, which I don't much care for) but more for the ability to say we've got cool ****. I prefer my CDs for almost everything and my iPod comes behind that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
I've got a bunch and so does a friend of mine. We collected them for awhile. We've got original pressings of Hendrix, VH, Cream, etc. albums. I even bothered to buy Systematic Chaos (which I didn't really like in the first place) on vinyl. I've got probably around 100 while he's got atleast triple that. It wasn't really for the sound quality (which isn't all that noticeable except for the distortion aka warmness, which I don't much care for) but more for the ability to say we've got cool ****. I prefer my CDs for almost everything and my iPod comes behind that.

*shudders*
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115