all right, so i posted a topic in The Pit, asking if there was a way to increase my finger length or dexterity and they all made fun of me to the point where the mods had to close the thread.

I wasnt trolling though, all i asked was if there was any possible way to increase my finger length/dexterity since i have short fingers.

Im 5'10" and my middle finger is 3" and my pointer finger is slghter larger than 2 1/2"

this is way to short for my size and i feel it makes me play worse. Although im only a beginner at guitar.
SETUP:

Guitars:
Fender Squier Cherry Sunburst
Fender Squier Arctic White

Amps:
Roland Cube 15x Amp
seriously, the more you play guitar the less you'll feel this way, trust me.
And sorry for being harsh on you in the pit, it's just. . .
The playground of the world
Quote by hoondog
i have a short penis...

.....thats the kind of immaturity i was talking about from the people in The Pit. Its not funny unless your under 12, and i am asking a serious question. Maybe my problem wasnt that i was posting in The Pit, maybe its that im posting in the wrong forum entirely. I thought this was a forum for people to talk about guitar and guitar techniques. Well finger length and dexterity is key for playing guitar.

maybe i was wrong, maybe i just should post in the forum ever again.
SETUP:

Guitars:

Amps:
Roland Cube 15x Amp
Quote by GuitarPlayerUm
all right, so i posted a topic in The Pit, asking if there was a way to increase my finger length or dexterity and they all made fun of me to the point where the mods had to close the thread.

I wasnt trolling though, all i asked was if there was any possible way to increase my finger length/dexterity since i have short fingers.

Im 5'10" and my middle finger is 3" and my pointer finger is slghter larger than 2 1/2"

this is way to short for my size and i feel it makes me play worse. Although im only a beginner at guitar.

haha my fingers are the same length man. i just checked then lol. yehh my fingers are short and idk if there's anything u can do about it but you don't need to worry unless you really feel it's hurting your guitar playing? see i find i can play guitar just fine regardless of my fingers being kinda short but my only concern is the appearance lol. don't worry man!!! just chill haha
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Limited Edition
Yamaha Acoustic
Vox AC15cc1x
Boss DS-1
Vox V847a
MI Audio Crunch Box
Quote by GuitarPlayerUm

Just throw some dexterity exercises with stretches into your daily practice routine and eventually you'll notice an increase in the number of frets you can comfortably cover. I have "short" fingers and this is how I overcame the issue.
Quote by GuitarPlayerUm
.....thats the kind of immaturity i was talking about from the people in The Pit. Its not funny unless your under 12 , and i am asking a serious question. Maybe my problem wasnt that i was posting in The Pit, maybe its that im posting in the wrong forum entirely. I thought this was a forum for people to talk about guitar and guitar techniques. Well finger length and dexterity is key for playing guitar.

maybe i was wrong, maybe i just should post in the forum ever again.

I think the Pit's pretty funny, and I'm 15...
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Oct 17, 2009,
Mine are shorter. I just measured it and my longest (middle) is 2 3/4. My pointer is 2 1/4. I have stubby little fingers . . . The only thing to do is just play as far as I can tell. That and stretch like you would any other part of your body. My fingers are always getting more flexible. I just checked and I can do a 1st to 6th fret stretch comfortably. I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done that even six months ago . . . Practice! And don't let the little boys bother you .
The pit is rarely ever funny and I too am 15, mostly it is just old recycled memes.

Anyway, when you are a beginner you will think that. Just don't give that lame "Oh I messed up because my fingers are too stubby" excuse You should stretch your fingers before you play, my fingers are stubby too and I have full range on my neck.
Last edited by darkcheef at Oct 18, 2009,
Thats not very short. Your fingers are longer than mine, and I can stretch from the first fret to the seventh.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by GuitarPlayerUm

this is way to short for my size
and i feel it makes me play worse. Although im only a beginner at guitar.

Hey, I'm 6'2'' and my fingers are pretty much the same length as yours.
Furthermore, I have NEVER felt my finger length limits my playing - in fact I've never even considered the length of my fingers until I came across this thread. Your fingers are not too short. Your dedication is simply lacking.

Practice practice practice.
Flexibility is a far, far bigger factor than how long your fingers are. My fingers are a little longer than that, not by a lot, and I still remember when I first started playing that it was really difficult to place my fingers on 1-2-3-4. It seemed physically impossible that this would ever seem easy. Well, after many years of playing, I don't have a huge reach, 1-6, maybe 1-7 right after some stretching exercises, but still it seems physically impossible now that 1-2-3-4 would ever be a problem. That's several inches more reach just because of flexibility - I was already fully grown when I started playing, so I have the same finger length now as I did then.

Second thing - get on youtube and search for Michael Romeo or Shawn Lane, and check out what is possible with short fingers.

Just keep practicing, and throw in some stretching exercises.
Stop making excuses and just play guitar. My fingers are about an 8th of an inch longer than yours, but it's never hindered me.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Trust me, there really is no difference between finger length unless you're comparing giant, skinny fingers to extremely small and fat fingers. Either way, both have their benefits, and both can be facilitated by different scale lengths (longer length for longer fingers, shorter length for shorter fingers).
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
huh...maybe i was just being stupid. i mean, i am just a beginner, so i dont really have that much experience with guitar in the first place. Its just after comparing hand sizes to a couple of friends and having smaller hands than them, i felt like i was at a disadvantage cause i couldnt reach that far.

i guess ill just keep doing dexterity excercises and hope i get more flexible.
SETUP:

Guitars:

Amps:
Roland Cube 15x Amp
Quote by GuitarPlayerUm

I'm 5'9 and my fingers are a little shorter than yours... Seriously, it may seem like it's a terrible thing and I hated it when I first started too but it doesn't inhibit me anymore. Just practice your ass off and you'll find you can play just as well as anyone else.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.