Alright smart ones of GB&C. I'll need your help on this one. After building some pedals, messing around with some tubes, space charging, modding some amps, etc, I've decided to dive head first into some amp work. Basically, I've had an offer for someone to sell me a broken "Thunderbass by Guild" amp for 50 bucks. There is almost no info online about this amp, and only one schematic that I might think is wrong..gotta check. Supposively, the guy, which knows nothing about guitars or electronics thinks it only has a bad tube. I bet it's ALOT more than that. Plus it smells awful..musty awful. mmm vintage =]

I do not own this yet, so my first question is..is it worth the 50 bucks to dive in and see what I get out of this? Are the old tubes of the 1960's so hard to get ahold of that I'd end up paying a crapload of money for nothing? What would be your opinion?

I'll get some pics if and when I buy the thing. Then first thing will be first, removing that two-prong power chord, installing a three-prong, and getting rid of that damn polarity selector =]

So, amp guru's..What do ya think...got any info or tips on this particular amp?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Personally, I'd gut it and put something worthwhile in it. Probably too much effort into refurbing it.

If "worthwhile" to you means a clone of a 1960s fender, sweet. If that means JCM800, sweet! Try to work with the PT and OT that is on it and it'll save you a LOT of cash (not to mention having the prepunched chassis and whatnot.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Thanks for the response! I think I am going to buy it. I'd love to be able to get this thing up and running. It's supposed to have really kickass vintage tones in it. If all else fails, I'll scrap for some parts, including a chassis, and build something new! Do the PT's and OT's really have a chance of working correctly at right voltages from 1967 or so?

And there isn't much involved with throwing in that three-prong cord right, just ground the chassis including the death cap, and send hot and neutral to their respective places.

My head is spinning with ideas for this, and I don't even own it yet, hah.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...