Hey guys... i was planning on getting a guitar pretty soon and was just wondering if the normal studio was really really worth 500 bucks more than the faded. if so, why?
Well... I mean, the maple top is a large part of the "traditional" les paul sound. Whether that is important to you or not is your call. Why it cost more is obvious, it takes more labor and materials to have a maple top than not.
And the finish plays a large in tone of the guitar too. The faded is not well-finished and can make your guitar not sound as good. But then again, some prefer the faded guitars' tones too. Personal opinion, but I'm pretty sure most people like the regular studio more. Anyways, studios and faded les pauls are damn ugly for the price. You'd think gibson would be able to at least put in a half decent binding at the price they sell their guitars at.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I personally like an unbound neck, at least in terms of feel. But you're right they're pretty damn ugly.

My guitar is like a hodgepodge. I replaced the plastic with cream when I took the covers off a set of double cream WCRs. Doesn't look quite as bad anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLP40kLrprM
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 18, 2009,
I mean for the body of a les paul style, there should be a binding and at least some flamed/quilted maple veneer. Neck binding, to me, is nothing of concern. I just care about the body's binding.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack