Hey

So im thinking of getting a pedal that can be used for songs like hearts burst into fire by bullet for my valentine to basically change from clean to distortion or vice versa by the foot on the pedal... I have no idea what kind of pedal i would be looking for and how much it would cost (it doesnt have to be anything special). So hopefully you can help me with that.
At the moment i have a 15G 38W frontman fender amp, although im also considering getting one of a better quality... like a marshall? basically as an improvement on my amp at the moment which is a basic begginers one with limited features...
I know i must sound like the biggest noob with these questions, probably because i played the acoustic more often. (okay that isnt a good enough excuse
Also i know that W stands for wattage but what does the G stand for if its 15G for the amp?
Thanks guys, sorry if I havent been clear enough... ( also i live in Australia in regards to prices)
Quote by titsmcgee852
Interesting....
Quote by krook205
is'nt it?

Indeed it is.
just one thing, if by marshall you mean a marshall MG, keep looking, it wont be an improvement on your tone!

you will need something that is footswitchable, or atleast need a clean amp where the gain/distortion comes from a pedal so it can be turned on and off. can you see a plug on your amp that says 'footswitch'?
On my current amp theres no plug that says footswitch.
So what im after is a footswitch pedal, could i get an amp with both distortion and clean settings and other features and then set the amp to clean and use the footswitch (with distortion) then? And then i can still play songs that are primarily distorted with my amp...
Quote by titsmcgee852
Interesting....
Quote by krook205
is'nt it?

Indeed it is.
On my current amp theres no plug that says footswitch.
So what im after is a footswitch pedal, could i get an amp with both distortion and clean settings and other features and then set the amp to clean and use the footswitch (with distortion) then? And then i can still play songs that are primarily distorted with my amp...

no you dont need a footswitch you need a 2 channel amp or a distortion pedal depending on your budget how much do you have to spend??

isnt the new marshall mg fx series suppossed to be quite a good amp

no not in the slightest (unless of course your deaf as it looks ok)
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
frontman + metal = not gonna work, whoever you are.

there is also a difference between a footswitch and an effects pedal. a footswitch is designed to swap between the channels built into your amp. an effects pedal, or more specifically here, a distortion pedal or overdrive pedal, produces its own sound altogether.

if there isnt a plug in the back of your amp for a footswitch, then your amp cant take a footswitch, but, all amps can take effects pedals - some better than others, but they all do. however, its usually not the best idea to get a distortion or overdrive pedal until you have a better amp, so its probably best you take action in that direction

basically, get a new amp. also avoid marshall mgs at all costs (although i must say, the only series of amps that i hate more than mgs are frontmans). if i remember correctly, the peavey vypyr 30 is footswitchable. a friend of mine got one for 300 aussie.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Oct 18, 2009,
well i dont want to spend too much say what can i get for $200... or is that just being ridiculas??
Quote by titsmcgee852
Interesting....
Quote by krook205
is'nt it?

Indeed it is.
Quote by Interesting....
well i dont want to spend too much say what can i get for $200... or is that just being ridiculas??

yep.

pretty much if you want something decent that is footswitchable - bare minimum 300
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
frontman + metal = not gonna work, whoever you are.

there is also a difference between a footswitch and an effects pedal. a footswitch is designed to swap between the channels built into your amp. an effects pedal, or more specifically here, a distortion pedal or overdrive pedal, produces its own sound altogether.

if there isnt a plug in the back of your amp for a footswitch, then your amp cant take a footswitch, but, all amps can take effects pedals - some better than others, but they all do. however, its usually not the best idea to get a distortion or overdrive pedal until you have a better amp, so its probably best you take action in that direction

basically, get a new amp. also avoid marshall mgs at all costs (although i must say, the only series of amps that i hate more than mgs are frontmans). if i remember correctly, the peavey vypyr 30 is footswitchable. a friend of mine got one for 300 aussie.

Thanks mate
Quote by titsmcgee852
Interesting....
Quote by krook205
is'nt it?

Indeed it is.
So for the 38W 15G fender frontman is the 15G just the style of the amp?
Quote by titsmcgee852
Interesting....
Quote by krook205
is'nt it?

Indeed it is.
Quote by Interesting....

Keep dreaming, all you could get for that much would actually be a downgrade. Either save for a good modelling amp or save for an HT-5 combo.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
The $200 was for the footswitch pedal... i was just late in replying. But it seems what you said still applies for the pedal...
Quote by titsmcgee852
Interesting....
Quote by krook205
is'nt it?

Indeed it is.
Quote by Interesting....
The $200 was for the footswitch pedal... i was just late in replying. But it seems what you said still applies for the pedal...

are you talking about a footswitch or an effects pedal? dont refer to a footswitch as a 'footswitch pedal', it confuses people, especially me :P

like said, if there isnt a plug in the back of your amp for a footswitch, then you cant use one. you CAN use an effects pedal, but again, like i said, dont, unless youre thinking about spending >1000 or getting a ht-5
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Interesting....
So for the 38W 15G fender frontman is the 15G just the style of the amp?

yep, thats just the model. and by the way, im pretty sure your amp is a 15W. wattage is measured by output, not input. i'd imagine the 38W is input because its a bit of a funny number to have
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by TOMMYB22
Keep dreaming, all you could get for that much would actually be a downgrade. Either save for a good modelling amp or save for an HT-5 combo.

you kinda have to know what youre doing a little more if you want to get a ht-5. modelling amp would probably be the best way to go at this point. i dont think many of them are footswitchable though. vypyr, like i said, maybe (can someone clarify here?)
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
So from what i can gather an effects pedal is used to basically add effects.... and a footswitch is used to alternate between effects on your amp, for example clean to distortion... and to do this i need a footswitch plug on my amp to plug it in?
in which case it would be a footswitch that i need but also a new amp...
Quote by titsmcgee852
Interesting....
Quote by krook205
is'nt it?

Indeed it is.
Quote by Interesting....
So from what i can gather an effects pedal is used to basically add effects.... and a footswitch is used to alternate between effects on your amp, for example clean to distortion... and to do this i need a footswitch plug on my amp to plug it in?
in which case it would be a footswitch that i need but also a new amp...

not effects, but channels.

but otherwise, yes, exactly right
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Thank you very much Bob_Smith

Just another thing... how does it actually work,i know that you plug it into the back of the amp but do you preset the channel on the footswitch as for example distortion and then have the clean channel on your amp... and then when you press down on the footswitch it changes from distortion to clean?
Quote by titsmcgee852
Interesting....
Quote by krook205
is'nt it?

Indeed it is.
Quote by Interesting....
Thank you very much Bob_Smith

Just another thing... how does it actually work,i know that you plug it into the back of the amp but do you preset the channel on the footswitch as for example distortion and then have the clean channel on your amp... and then when you press down on the footswitch it changes from distortion to clean?

no probs

depending on the amp, youll have 2-4 channels.

lets just say for example you have 2. its possible you have one button or two on the footswitch that are for channels. if its one, then press it, you get clean, press it again, you get dist. if there are 2 buttons, one will correspond to clean, the other to dist

you dont need to keep them pressed down to keep it on a particular channel
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Interesting....
http://www.joondalupmusic.com.au/Products.asp?ProdID=729

Would this be an improvement on my current amp and do you think it would have the footswitch input that i need??

That's better, and with that you'd probably not need to buy stompboxes for a while.

It has a footswitch, but you need to purchase it separately.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Thanks mate
But what are stompboxes?
Quote by titsmcgee852
Interesting....
Quote by krook205
is'nt it?

Indeed it is.
Last edited by Interesting.... at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by Interesting....

For 200$ you could get a Peavey Vypyr 30, footswitch would cost about 80$ for the Sanpera I and about 150$ for the Sanpera II.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Interesting....
Thanks mate
But what are stompboxes?

literally, boxes that you stomp on. effects pedals essentially, without going into much detail

Quote by JesusCrisp
For 200$ you could get a Peavey Vypyr 30, footswitch would cost about 80$ for the Sanpera I and about 150$ for the Sanpera II.

you need to remember he's in australia and uses australian dollars
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
literally, boxes that you stomp on. effects pedals essentially, without going into much detail

The Vypyr has quite a number of effects already built in so an all-in-one package good to go for a decent upgrade.

Quote by Bob_Smith
you need to remember he's in australia and uses australian dollars

He'll need to stretch another $250 to get the 30 watter, and he might not have the cash to do so.

If its just for practice, the Vypyr 15 will work fine.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 21, 2009,
Save up. Seriously, going from a frontman to a vypyr is an improvement, but not a big one and certainly not worth your money/time. I'd seriously recommend going for a blackstar ht-5. It's footswitchable, it's versatile, it's tube and it sounds good.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||