Hello rocking people, I just found this nice guitar for only 400€ or 600$... What do you know about this guitar? I only know that it has a Double Edge Pro tremolo which has an L.R. Baggs piezo system and that its baswood body and maple neck... The pickups are v7 neck, dimarzio tone zone bridge... Is that a good deal?
I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had...
Yeah good deal I would certainly buy it if I had the cash but as always try out the guitar first too see if you want it yourself.
wrong model number, doesn`t exist even on the official parts site.

the edge pro is a good trem the pups are good

the roland gk pickup is very good
Ibanez RG1620X GK, Im sorry...

Here is the picture from the catalog:

I also think that the GK is a sign for color here, because it doesnt have Roland GK, only L.R. Baggs piezo... THe 1520 model has Roland...

Thanks everyone!
I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had...
i stand corrected then (i couldn`t find it and it`s easier to locate stuff on the parts site that isn`t in the current line up), but it clearly says roland gk in that pic
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Oct 18, 2009,
The GK in the RG1620X GK stands for Galaxy Black. It's black with metallic sparkles in it. The GK in the RG1520GK BK is stands for the Roland GK. The BK means it's just regular black. It sounds like a good deal to me.
And why are 1000 RG's cheaper than 2000 or 3000 RG's? (Like your RG2550Z)
Quote by Kada2110
And why are 1000 RG's cheaper than 2000 or 3000 RG's? (Like your RG2550Z)

It depends on the year, but it's mainly aesthetics. These days, to 2000s and higher come with Edge Zeros but the 1000s come with Edge Pros. Your likely to find 2000s with better finishes like metallic instead of just solid or with sharkfin inlays. The 3000s are usually mahogany instead of basswood. But this year, they have some that are basswood with Super Wizard necks. The pickups are also usually better on the 2000s and up.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Oct 18, 2009,
I see. This one has an edge pro, I heard that its great (if Im not mistaken, the Steve Vai signature and the Joe Satriani also has Pro)... What do you know about it? The finish is like glossy galaxy black, like you said, here's a pic: http://media.photobucket.com/image/Ibanez%20RG1620X/damiengalt/music_gear/rg1620xgk/rg1620xgk_051205_2.jpg ...

The pickups are changed and can you please explain me the tonal difference in basswood/mahogany? I can imagine basswood be more bright and mahogany more warm...
I wouldn't really call it bright. Here's a description of it that I posted in another thread:
Quote by JELIFISH19
Basswood comes in different variety. There's high quality basswood and low quality basswood. You're not going to find many mid-range basswood guitars. Low quality basswood is pretty terrible though. Basswood isn't a bad at all. Satch, Vai, Gilbert, Petrucci, and EVH all use basswood guitars. It doesn't have a lot of highs and lows. It leaves a strong fundamental tone that cuts through the mix very will. It's great for shred and it's very musical and smooth when using gain. It's very clear and what you play is always heard clearly. It's clean tone isn't great though. A lot of the hate from basswood is because it's characterized by what it lacks. It doesn't have any distinct characteristics that other woods have. Another thing is that it takes a skilled player to get the most out if it. It's not great for beginners. Technique really matters when playing basswood guitars. Playing badly on a basswood guitar will sound terrible, much worst than a guitar made of another wood. But playing well on a basswood guitar can sound amazing, but not better since it comes down to personal preference anyway. I personally love basswood for a lot of things. I've only recently started liking it for metal. It lacks the low-end grind of mahogany and the bite of alder, but it's very clear. It's not really great for clean and very light crunch though. It reacts to dynamics very differently than mahogany and alder.

I don't think basswood can be described in terms of warm and bright because there's more to it. Alder is usually referred to as a bright wood, but it also has more lows than basswood. A mahogany body with a maple top is referred to as a warm tone, but it will also have more highs the basswood.

The Edge Pro is great, it's different than the Edge Zero though. They're both exceptional trems but the EP is the classic one and the EZ is the innovative one.

And the black sparkles aren't that overwhelming in real life. It's will look black. They can only be seen in certain light.
Ok, thanks!
And what about RG550, RG570 or RG470? I found they cheaply and they are all Japanese...
Quote by Kada2110
And what about RG550, RG570 or RG470? I found they cheaply and they are all Japanese...

All are great guitars some of them may have the old square cut heel (more restrictive compared to AANJ imo) or they may have the new AANJ, also they either will have the Lo Pro Edge or Edge bridge and will of course have a singe coil in the middle position. I guess you gotta play them all and see which one feels much more suited to your application and if you'll ever need to use the piezo system on the 1620 or if you prefer to have the single coil.
Sure, I will, thanks!