My parents are letting me buy a new guitar which includes amp and cable and others. My budget is 645.15 USD. I really don't know what to get it's just really hard. I want a good clean sound with okay distort. The amp with both functions distort and clean. Cables doesn't really matter and things like distortion pedals, any advice?

I play stuff like unholy confessions, crazy train and I tab some korean songs which are pop. I am not korean. I really need to get one because my parents are giving me a certain amount of time to decide. I don't mind any guitar though I like a not so flashy one. Please reply!
Last edited by Joseph_Teo at Oct 18, 2009,
What gear do you have at the moment? How long have you been playing?
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
I use to have a crappy acoustic and I've be self learning for 3 months? I don't play too much though. My acoustic broke and yeah. I plan to get an electric.
Quote by falconthefirst
Fender Strat

/thread

I don't really like fender strats, any other suggestions?
Fender Telecaster?
Agile Les Paul?
And for the amp, maybe a Peavey Vypyr, or an Epiphone Valve Junior?
Tim.

Quote by TimBFMV
Fender Telecaster?
Agile Les Paul?
And for the amp, maybe a Peavey Vypyr, or an Epiphone Valve Junior?

I like Fender Telecasters though the shape is a bit too common I guess? Do those two amps support both distort and clean?
Look at Cort, They're an under rated and over looked make. Maybe change the pickups once you have it? It would also leave a lot more money for a decent amp.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

I don't think I would want to change the pickups, other suggestions? I thought of getting a jackson, are there any good ones?
Quote by TomG10-7
Look at Cort, They're an under rated and over looked make. Maybe change the pickups once you have it? It would also leave a lot more money for a decent amp.

+1
Tim.

jackson are pretty good but what are you favorite "styles" of guitar give us some ideas of what you will be playing it will help us a lot in trying to help you find a guitar in your price range.

Check your local craglists also.. you can get crazy good deals on there mate. Personally id recommend a schecter if you get it from craigslist otherwise you can't afford a good one and still get a decent amp
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
asian pop bands seem like fender instruments so strat, jaguar or tele. Don't judge guitars by look, judge it by playability and comfyness.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
asian pop bands seem like fender instruments so strat, jaguar or tele. Don't judge guitars by look, judge it by playability and comfyness.

true to some point.. if it doesn't look like something you would want why would you play it to begin with?
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Cort KX-5 should be <$400 Roland or Peavey 30w amp about $200 or less Rest for the cables, picks etc., and you're well set up. No need to upgrade the Mighty Mite pups for a long time.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

My advice would be an agile les paul, they are cheap, and sound great. I would look for Al-3000 or higher (they start midway down the linked page and ones that you could afford along with a nice amp are listed through page 16)
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss14.html
For an amp I would recommend a Drive G65 its clean tones are amazing and the price you would pay (150) is well worth it.
http://www.guitarshop.net/driveg65vr.htm
To fix the Drives lack of good distortion (once comes with it, but on my drive amp i hate it) you should pick up a Boss DS-1 (40) it provides great distortion to compliment a drives great clean sound.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DS1-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151258

so if you spend 400 on the agile al-3000 150 on the Drive and 40 on the DS-1 that should leave you with 50 dollars consider factoring that in to shipping for these products and getting some decent cables (they shouldn't cost you to much).
This is essentially my own configuration right now (my Drive amp is the two speaker version) and I love it and can get tons of different tones out of it.
Check out the Yamaha Pacifca. Its like a strat but not to much like a strat. And Go with the vyper or a roland cube. Thatll do you nicely. Don't worry about changing pickups if you've only been playing for 3 months.
Cort guitars are terrible. And a MIM Fender Strat would be better than a Pacifica although they are good guitars. I know you don't like them but it's your best choice really.

Amp:
Like other people have suggested, Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube. They are both good but I think the Cube has better cleans.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Lurcher
Cort KX-5 should be <$400 Roland or Peavey 30w amp about $200 or less Rest for the cables, picks etc., and you're well set up. No need to upgrade the Mighty Mite pups for a long time.

+1, my KX5 is great.
Tim.