Before I start writing this, let me just say that I am 100% new to playing bass and know absolutely nothing about it in any way, shape or form. Now with that out of the way, I need a ton of help with lowering my bass action. I have a Schecter C-4. There is about a 1/4" gap between the strings and the fretboard and the string saddle (if that's what it's called) will not go down on the top part of the saddle no matter how many times I turn it. What do I do in order to remedy this?
It sounds like your bridge saddle adjustment screws are stripped (is it just one of the saddles, or all of them?). Your local repair shop should be able to get them out and replace them. If this is the cause of your problems, it's easily fixed.
its just the low E one. I can feel my hex screw locking into the slot but I can't seem to make it do anything
Quote by guitarman47
its just the low E one. I can feel my hex screw locking into the slot but I can't seem to make it do anything

If that Bass has the S-Tek bridge their is a locking screw on each saddle that you have to loosen before making any adjustment. Also you have to first detune the string, then adjust, then retune.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Oct 18, 2009,
Always loosen the strings before you try to raise or lower your saddles. Or even intonate them. If the screws aren't stripped out yet, trying to monkey around with your bridge with the strings in tune is a good way to make it happen.
If the hex adjustment screw doesn't move when you turn it, in all probability it is stripped. It happens sometimes. As I said, it isn't difficult to fix. Your local repair shop can get the stripped screw out and replace it with a new one.
Don't listen to these guys telling you to go get the screws replaced. They don't know any better. Like I said in the earlier post, each saddle has a locking screw. You must first loosen that set screw, then adjust the saddle with the 2 screws on top.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/meegosh_photos/IMG_0399.jpg

Check out the pic above. You can clearly see the set screw in front of the saddle. You need to loosen that first, and then make your adjustment with the screws on top of the saddle. Remember to also loosen the string before making an adjustment.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Oct 18, 2009,