My tone and volume knobs are loose as hell.... it annoying cause when i play I touch the volume knob just a little bit, it moves down to half volume, and I dunno how to adjust the sensitivity...

heeeelp ????
You'll need a whole new guitar.

JK. Actually the knobs don't have anything to do with it; it's the potentiometers (pots) underneath the knobs.

Although pots aren't adjustable, and you might have to replace them, it could be worth trying to wedge a small piece of plastic between the pot's shaft and its body. A plastic drinking straw might be a good source of material for this. You might have to replace it from time to time if you use the knob a lot.

Some people (including a few pros) just take the knobs off and don't mess with it beyond that.
If your controls are loose, you need to pull the knob off, then tighten the nut around the shaft of the pot. Once its tight, push your knob back onto the shaft.

Quote by britishsligean
it's probably best to replace them

You don't need to replace them just because they are loose.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by Matt420740
If your controls are loose, you need to pull the knob off. Then tighten the nut around the shaft of the pot. Once its tight, push your knob back onto the shaft. You don't need to replace them just because they are loose.

i think what he means is that when he turns the pot the level of the volume or tone goes down, not that they are loose in their socket.
Quote by britishsligean
i think what he means is that when he turns the pot the level of the volume or tone goes down, not that they are loose in their socket.

His exact words - "My tone and volume knobs are loose as hell...."
Quote by Matt420740

He also went on to describe the situation more accurately.

Dude, you listen like my ex. Nine words and you think you can ignore the rest of the sentence.
Quote by Matt420740

I mean, I can just touch them slightly, and the volume goes completly off, and when i play, my pinky touches the knob, so my volume goes down...
Quote by jean_genie
He also went on to describe the situation more accurately.

Dude, you listen like my ex. Nine words and you think you can ignore the rest of the sentence.

"Loose as hell" does not mean sound cuts out. He should have worded it differently. My suggestion would have worked, if his problem was really "loose as hell".

Now that he has explained it, there could be a few different things causing the pot to act that way. It could be a solder joint that has cracked or become loose, and its loosing contact when you touch the pot. The pot could have trash inside of it. Take your control cover off and check for any loose connections on the pot, and if you have a can of Dust remover spray it into the pot, to try and clean out the insides.
Actually, he didn't say anything about sound cutting out until after I made my post. I read his post as, "When I touch the knobs lightly they rotate far more than I would like them to." Which could also be described as 'loose.' Judging from the responses, others read it that way too.

You may be right in the end, but I stand by my comment.

If the sound actually cuts out before the knob is at or near 0, then there's probably a loose or poorly-soldered wire on the back of one of your pots. It's easy to fix, but will require a soldering iron. If your pots rotate freely the easiest thing to do is replace them, which also requires a soldering iron.
Quote by jean_genie
Actually, he didn't say anything about sound cutting out until after I made my post. I read his post as, "When I touch the knobs lightly they rotate far more than I would like them to." Which could also be described as 'loose.' Judging from the responses, others read it that way too.

If you agree with me about the fact that he made it sound like they were loose, then why the smart a$$ remark about your ex?
Quote by jean_genie

You may be right in the end, but I stand by my comment.

If the sound actually cuts out before the knob is at or near 0, then there's probably a loose or poorly-soldered wire on the back of one of your pots. It's easy to fix, but will require a soldering iron. If your pots rotate freely the easiest thing to do is replace them, which also requires a soldering iron.

The guitar is about 10 years old, its an Rg 7620, so its been used alot...
I will probably change the pots if so, and put on some strat knobs
But I have no experience what so ever, so I will bring it in to a shop and let them fix it
Quote by Sweepie
The guitar is about 10 years old, its an Rg 7620, so its been used alot...
I will probably change the pots if so, and put on some strat knobs
But I have no experience what so ever, so I will bring it in to a shop and let them fix it

What better way to get experience than this? Pots are easy to find (any Allparts dealer, or direct from them). It'll probably be 500K pots since it's an HH configuration. This is also a great time to install push-pull pots so you can shunt a coil on each pup and get single coil tones.

If you go the Push-pull route and buy a soldering iron + solder, you can do the whole thing yourself for under $40 including shipping. And you'll have experience.
Quote by jetwash69
What better way to get experience than this? Pots are easy to find (any Allparts dealer, or direct from them). It'll probably be 500K pots since it's an HH configuration. This is also a great time to install push-pull pots so you can shunt a coil on each pup and get single coil tones.

If you go the Push-pull route and buy a soldering iron + solder, you can do the whole thing yourself for under $40 including shipping. And you'll have experience.

That would be a great idea ! thanks man : D
could you be so kind to pick some out for me ? : D
Last edited by Sweepie at Oct 18, 2009,
www.allparts.com

EP-0286-000 - 500K A DPDT Pot (Audio Taper)
EP-0346-000 - 500K Linear Pot (DPDT)

Typically single volume controls for humbuckers are audio taper (logarithmic) and tone controls are linear.

Folks, feel free to correct me if I'm remembering this wrong.

For a soldering Iron, a cheap way to go is: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3086618 or something similar at your local store.

Before you order those push-pull pots, you'll want to make sure your pups have 4 wires coming off each one; if there's only 2 (or 2 plus the shielding/ground), then you won't be able to do the coil shunt and should get regular pots like:

EP-0086-000 - 500K Pot (Audio Taper)
EP-4986-000 - 500K Linear Pot

See the wiring thread or google for coil shunts. It's commonly referred to as "Coil Splitting", but coil shunt is more accurate for what you'd want to do.

BTW, Allparts also has Strat knobs; real ones from Fender and fakes, too.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Oct 18, 2009,
ehhm, the guitar has a 5 way switch, so I think they have 4 wires ?
or am I wrong ??
I have a souldering iron, and I know a local net store with Strat knobs
Quote by Sweepie
Shit... allparts don't ship to Norway

There's loads of places in Europe - just google 'guitar parts Norway' or similar. WD Music in Britain ship abroad.
You're right. So disregard on the push-pulls unless you want to do some other freaky stuff like phasing options or whatever. Probably not worth it though.

Kyle62 seems to know what he's talking about for getting parts in Europe.

All u need is a 500k linear pot for tone and a 500k audio pot for volume. Go with the split, knurled shafts--you don't need them long, normal size will do. I can't tell the difference sonically, but lots of folks don't like the mini-pots.

Happy tinkering!
Quote by jetwash69
You're right. So disregard on the push-pulls unless you want to do some other freaky stuff like phasing options or whatever. Probably not worth it though.

All u need is a 500k linear pot for tone and a 500k audio pot for volume. Go with the split, knurled shafts--you don't need them long, normal size will do. I can't tell the difference sonically, but lots of folks don't like the mini-pots.

Happy tinkering!

There are sh!tloads of things you can do with a push-pull tone knob, all of them good fun!

1. Two different tone knob values (e.g. 1 normal Ibanez, 1 Fender)
2. You can set at least 1 pickup to switch between parallel and serial wiring.
3. Coil-splitting
4. Coil-tapping
5. Out-of-phase
6. Combine both pickups to work together - granted I've not figured out if this one if fully possible.
7. My all time favorite, the pickup direct to output mod when you pull up on the pot!

Great fun.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by jetwash69

Happy tinkering!

Thanks man, Ill go for the Push pull, its so much more convinient from the 5 way switch

There is a store here in Norway which ships from Allparts, Ill give them a call someday soon : )