hi,
I would like to know if there are any good recording programmes via normal pc line-in.
I don't have a usb interface but I have all the sounds I want via direct out from my amp/bass amp and drumm computer.
So any good programmes out there not via usb or firewire?

edit: If you were going to say audacity, I already use that. I'm looking for something else

Cheers
Hendrik
Last edited by henis at Oct 18, 2009,
the software has nothing to do with the input method.

it will always sound like a "compute soundcard" recording regardless of what software you use.
Quote by TheDriller
the software has nothing to do with the input method.

it will always sound like a "compute soundcard" recording regardless of what software you use.

I don't really follow.
The sound wich I record is very nice.
I would just like a programme where I can edit and put effects on a little more than audacity.
And I have no interfaces, so I would need to record via my pc line in.
I dunno, I'm pretty keen on Audacity. I find that most of the better open-source programs, while definitely worse than the 'high-end' stuff out there, is better than just about any of the more affordable programs.

In other words ... unless you're planning on spending $300+, and buying new recording equipment to go with it, stick with Audacity.
He is saying that when using the Line In, the computer soundcard will always process the signal itself, as opposed to using a microphone and a mixer. Most Line Out jacks either lack a speaker modeller or have a really bad one, so he's basically saying that any software will sound synthetic.

Effects-wise, I wouldn't rely on the software any more than is necessary. Even with ProTools, adding much more than reverb or eq to a line-in signal is going to make it sound electronic and synthetic. For effects, a much better use of your money would be a Line 6 POD of some sort. The effects (even overdrive) will sound much more natural, will be easier to tweak, and the speaker modeller will make your recordings sound much better.

Plus you'd be feeding Audacity a better signal, so if you wanted to add chorus or something later via the software, the results would be much more impressive.

I use Audacity for all more recordings. I go from a Beta 57 (usually) to my Alesis 4-channel USB mixer, to Audacity. I don't usually add too many effects after recording, but the higher fidelity of my signal means I can if when I feel like it.

I once recorded a cover of Hurt for a friend on acoustic guitar. Sort of a cross between the NIN and Cash versions. I added heavy vibrato and tremolo to one of the guitar parts where I let the notes ring, and it sounded a lot like strings. You can do some neat stuff, provided you can feed it a good signal. Otherwise, it's like putting a new engine and a supercharger into a crappy car. You could do it, but the same money would get you a good used car.
I thought Acoustica Mixcraft was free.. anywho you can use Reaper.
It's pretty decent and is free. There's like a 30 day trial but then you get to evaluate so it never runs out.. Grab that.

Audacity isn't good for recording if it's more than one track really. I did it before and like. When I had multiple guitar tracks up there.. they all started distorting together really bad.. or maybe I just didn't notice if the whole project was clipping since I was a hardcore newb to everything.. but from my experience, Audacity isn't too good for recording.. I only use the program to do real simple edits and stuff of songs.. moving parts around and such for use in films and stuff like that.. or ringtones. etc.