Im getting one of the GH50L/GH100L amp heads, so i need opinions from people that are familiar with these amps I can get the 50L for around $235 & the 100L for $300 (both used ) Its really a cheap deal thats why Im pouncing on it
So here are some quick questions that came to my mind about them:

1. How noisy are these amp, as in like annoyingly noisy type or the regular high gain amp noisy type?
2. At what master level volume does the GH50l starts to lose headroom on a clean setting(just a lame example-> if I had the gain to like about either 1 or 2 & no boost)
3. Will the resonance switch make the 50L head sound somewhat same in the lower end department as its big bro? cause otherwise Im gonna go with the GH100L
4. What about pedals, can it take pedals decently or does it hate pedals ?
5. Can it do Paul Gilbert Spaceship DVD tone? cause in that dvd he is using a vc50 i think, I know he uses EQ pedals but just wondering if i can get the similar sound out of it or similar amount of gain out of it.

I wont be getting a cab though, cause the seller is only giving away the head, I can borrow my friends cab for now to try them out but I cant try the amp out cause its gonna be mailed to my place. Good thing is that I can return it if i find its faulty but I can get only one out of the two amps Thats why i need your opinions
Anyways I gotta hurry & get one of those from him before someone else gets to them fist hehe Oh yeah another info, i play metal & usually instrumental rock stuff like satriani,petrucci or some old rock stuff alot, if this helps..
And yeah since the amps are kinda old, gonna be retubing them with JJs(either EL34s or 6l6s)
yup it can take either EL34s or 6L6s, there is a bias switch on its back but I read somewhere it still a good idea to get tube amps biased from a tech rather than doing it ya self
All I've been able to gather about them is just vids & bit of text, not much from owners yet, it's cool though I'll still be getting one anyways, then Ill prolly start a thread just on it
Alright, let me tell you a bit about this beast.

First of all, this thing is handcrafted in the UK. And you can see it. This thing is nearly unbreakable. I transported via train at least 200km and the tolex didn't even had a scratch. I own it since December 2008 and it works flawless.

1.The noise was never a problem for me, although I have no clue how noisy a High Gain Amp normally is. In the store I played against some Bugeras, a Hughes and Kettner, some Engl and two Marshalls. The last three were all about the same noise level like the Laney. If you have the gain turned up to 1 or 2, there is literally no noise until you crank the master to 9 or 10. Once you turn up the gain to 4 or 5 and turn the master up to 9 or 10, you're deaf. On a normal level lets say 4 (still pretty loud), there is hum, but not that much. If you engage the "Drive" switch, there comes more hum, but even here it's not that loud, and once you start playing, its impossible to hear it.

2. At a gain setting of 1, i can turn up the master to 8 with the neck pickup and 6 or 7 with the bridge pickup, at a gain setting of 2 it's 6 and 5. This all depends if you use the low or high Input, the high input adds quite a bit of gain. Depending on how much gain you need, you should think about a AB box for the inputs, low on a clean setting and high on a setting with more gain.

Just one more thing to the cleans. They sound pretty dry and steril, until you add a bit of reverb. Then they shine.

3. Yes. The switch adds a ton of bottom to it. For me it's more then enough. Without the switch the amp sounds rather thin, with the switch he sounds full. Could also be the speakers I use, celestion G12T-75, which have a pretty nice bottom end. I have no clue how the Gh100l sounds, but again, for me its more then enough bottom end.
(I play Alternative, Postrock and Post-Hardcore, something like Brand New, Thursday, Thrice, Saosin, something along these lines.)

4. I cant say that much about pedals, I'm running a G-Major MultiFX into it, but it handles it pretty well. You can choose between a serial and a parallel FXloop and control the amount of Dry and Wet sound. As far as I can say, it will handle pedals well.

5. I have no clue, but I'd say it has enough gain for everything (except grindcore maybe...)

For the cab, I advice you to get something British sounding, maybe a Framus Fr2x12 or used marshal. Best would be a mix of Vintage30 end Celestion G12T-75. But that's up to you.

The Gh50l is pretty loud, but if you want more headroom, go for the Gh100l. Both are awesome amps.

I have some clips in my profile if you want to have some more clips, there are not too much out in the internets.

God, I hope this wall of text is useful
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by OrangeWalls

God, I hope this wall of text is useful

Wow now thats a really huge post lol
It helped out a lot too
I'm gonna go with the gh100l cause i feel having a lot of headroom is not a bad thing, although a lot of volume can turn you deaf(i'll get a hot plate to fix this). And since the volume increase will be just 3db, it wont make a large difference in it being extremely loud
Besides from all that i read uptill now, gh100l might be more versatile with the added headroom

I hope though that the hum level doesnt rise with the gh100l(more tubes)...

Oh & have ya tried using the slave in/out on the back of the amp, what are they for exactly? I don't understand them
Quote by vishal_metalhed
Wow now thats a really huge post lol
It helped out a lot too
I'm gonna go with the gh100l cause i feel having a lot of headroom is not a bad thing, although a lot of volume can turn you deaf(i'll get a hot plate to fix this). And since the volume increase will be just 3db, it wont make a large difference in it being extremely loud
Besides from all that i read uptill now, gh100l might be more versatile with the added headroom

I hope though that the hum level doesnt rise with the gh100l(more tubes)...

Oh & have ya tried using the slave in/out on the back of the amp, what are they for exactly? I don't understand them

Well I have a GH50l and its my first tube amp,but when buying it I did get a chance to try out the VH100R,GH100l,GH50l & L20H. They all sounded great to me, very minor differences in the core tone among the GH & VH. I chose the GH50l because I was satisfied with what it was capable of & well it was cheap not as cheap like the price at which your able to get it but i did get a brand new one.
OrangeWalls has already said most of the things i would have said about mine, so theres not much left to say except that i adore mine alot! lol
There wont be a dramatic difference between the 50 & 100 except for the added headroom, which i think you might need if you play alot of satriani kinda stuff. You can get Paul Gilberts racer x tone thorugh it, and well thats all, they are very good amps for the price, thank god they aren't expensive like mesa boogies though
Oh the slave outputs on the back are used to connect more gh heads to each other and the slave out is same as line out.

EDIT: I forgot about the noise, the 100w will be slightly more noisy but not much to worry about, just get a noisegate for it if ya worried too much & there was a thread somewhere on the net I read about connecting a gate specially for GH & VH amps, might wanna look into that
Last edited by dahelunover at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by vishal_metalhed
Im getting one of the GH50L/GH100L amp heads, so i need opinions from people that are familiar with these amps I can get the 50L for around $235 & the 100L for $300 (both used ) Its really a cheap deal thats why Im pouncing on it
So here are some quick questions that came to my mind about them:
Wow, that's a great deal.
1. How noisy are these amp, as in like annoyingly noisy type or the regular high gain amp noisy type?
I personally wouldn't want to dime the GH50L's gain. I'd rather use the volume as a natural overdrive function, with the gain about 1 o'clock.
The 100 watt version will be more difficult to evoke poweramp overdrive from, simply because it has more tubes to push.
But I think they are maybe slightly more noisy than other mid to high gain amps. Nothing to worry about, though. EQ pedals and noise supressors can be bought in the future if necessary. And you can control the noise as best you can with the EQ panel, as I mentioned.
2. At what master level volume does the GH50l starts to lose headroom on a clean setting(just a lame example-> if I had the gain to like about either 1 or 2 & no boost)
I don't know. I've only played the GH50L and I didn't get to drive it hard - I was in a busy shop - but I noticed that it broke up around 10 o'clock. I can't say for sure, it depends on what you classify as "breakup".
3. Will the resonance switch make the 50L head sound somewhat same in the lower end department as its big bro? cause otherwise Im gonna go with the GH100L
I don't know for sure, sorry. I don't normally mess with resonance knobs, tbh. But I really can't imagine you failing to kindle the same amount of low end out of the 50 watt version compared to the 100. If you combine it with the correct cabinet and use some common sense with the EQ settings, I'm sure you there's a possibility you'll be happy with the GH50L's ability to be powerful and in the bass field.
4. What about pedals, can it take pedals decently or does it hate pedals ?
Most valve amps treat pedals well. It's rare you'd find a "dub", so to speak. I only used a TS9 with the GH50L in the shop. It added tightness - just as the pedal is supposed to.
5. Can it do Paul Gilbert Spaceship DVD tone? cause in that dvd he is using a vc50 i think, I know he uses EQ pedals but just wondering if i can get the similar sound out of it or similar amount of gain out of it.
Definitely.
I wont be getting a cab though, cause the seller is only giving away the head, I can borrow my friends cab for now to try them out but I cant try the amp out cause its gonna be mailed to my place. Good thing is that I can return it if i find its faulty but I can get only one out of the two amps Thats why i need your opinions
Anyways I gotta hurry & get one of those from him before someone else gets to them fist hehe Oh yeah another info, i play metal & usually instrumental rock stuff like satriani,petrucci or some old rock stuff alot, if this helps..
And yeah since the amps are kinda old, gonna be retubing them with JJs(either EL34s or 6l6s)
For $235, a Laney GH50L is a steal, especially for America.
I really can't imagine you'll be disappointed with it.

Be warned, though: it only has one channel and sounds very VERY British (thin and biting) - some folks aren't fond of that kind of tone.