When I am just sitting around doing nothing, I can compose these fantastic songs in my head, but when I'm trying to write, sitting there with my acoustic guitar (I usually play bass), I can't get those great songs to come out. And when I can get something that sounds like what I "wrote" in my head its not nearly as good.
How can I make the good songs i write in my head come out into real music???

tl;dr I write good songs in my head but cant play them on the real instrument. Help.
It could be that they just sound better in your head than they do when played.

Kind of like the term 'that blows', it sounds fine in my head, but whenever I or other people use it, I think 'damn, what a lame-oh!"
My answer is serious.

Study music theory. If you study music theory long enough you will know what chords are playing in your head and it will be much easier to make your idea's come to life. That being said, you have to also know how to play the instrument your trying to write with.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
My answer is serious.

Study music theory. If you study music theory long enough you will know what chords are playing in your head and it will be much easier to make your idea's come to life. That being said, you have to also know how to play the instrument your trying to write with.

This.

Also, ear training. Recognizing intervals and chords that are in your head really helps translating them to real life.
Tape recorder + singing them.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
My one is way better.

I died a bit inside after reading that
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
It may be the same problem as me - what you hear in your head is an album quality, multi layered, professionally produced and polished musical composition... when you get to trying to express it, you only seem to get one instrumental part out at a time, and 9 times out of 10 it sounds WAY different in terms of tone, dynamics, playing... Lots of stuff.
Recently I've been having flashes of bits for songs in my head, including all the multilayered drums, guitar parts, leads, synths ETC and as much as you can play the guitar part in your head, the rest not being there puts you off.

I've been taking what I hear in my head and recording rough (often horrid) demo's, filling in parts where it should be bass or such with guitar, but labelling it on the tracks...

Hope this wee technique helps, and dont be disouraged when your first recording sounds like someone falling a stair set made of mosquitoes.
There are like 4 other forums you could have posted this in where people are not, for the most part, stupid.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by archangels666
This.

Also, ear training. Recognizing intervals and chords that are in your head really helps translating them to real life.

That too.

cant believe I forgot to mention ear training. lol

Also, it was mentioned before but get a cheap recording device so you can have all your ideas recorded. I also keep a note book of lyric idea's. It also helps to find a subject that you think make cool song and just write out what you want to do in words, that way you dont forget your ideas.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
I used to have that problem, but I think after playing so much now, I just "know" what frets make what sounds I want, so it makes translating it far easier.

I don't think I could tell you how to get past your problem though. Maybe just keep working at writing songs. I'm not sure.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
most people have the problem with remembering melodies more than chords. just record whatever comes to your head on any shitty phone recorder and write the chords down for a later date