Hi everyone, I'm really looking to get my first valve combo, and my budget is around £500, but I'm happy to get a second hand amp if it has been treated with care!

I play mainly punk/ska and a bit of psychobilly and country, and I'm playing a PRS Custom 22, with dragon 2 pickups. I'm not looking fo full on dark tones, but I would love a combo that would do a mean distortion and also a nice warm clean without the need for a stomp box... sounds like I'm asking a lot but after hours of searching I thought that I'd found an amp that could do it all...

...The Traynor YCV50 Blue. Sounds great on paper and I could get it for $600 easily for new, IF I LIVED IN THE US! In the UK your talking £700 give or take, if you can find it!

So I guess what I'm asking is:

a) Would anyone be able to suggest from experience an amp that could be as versatile as the YCV50, which is available in the UK

b) Does anyone know a good dealer of Traynor in the UK - googling only gives a few results

Thanks in advance
Traynor are pretty expensive regardless of dealer over here - just like Vox, Marshall and Laney over in the USA etc.

If I were you, I'd look into a Vox AC15 or AC30. Used or new, either of them should do your tones very well.

Another amp just out which is cheaper and just as capable would be the Bugera V22 or V55.

Also, look into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or DeVille, or a Blues Deluxe/DeVille.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Oct 18, 2009,
Are you wanting to gig with the amp??

With your budget, I would look into the Cornford Harlequin.

These amps are voiced to be very smooth and round. They are completely hand-built and hand-wired and run for about £600 new though you could definitely find one used in your budget. I've played one myself and for the money i doubt there's anything better. Covers all the tones you could need with the exception of real heavy metal. The aftercare is extremely good too. You can phone up Cornford and actually speak to the designers of the amps. It is only a small company.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Oct 18, 2009,
Wow thanks guys... speedy replies! I have looked into the AC15 and 30 - both look pretty sweet, but have heard mixed impressions... also I've heard the hot rod deluxe cleans are to die for but the distortion just doesn't cut it. The Bugera V22 or V55 both sound interesting though, I'll defiently check those both out.

Cornford sound promising and I have heard really good stuff about them.

Yeah I would love a amp that could do both small gigs and bedroom stuff, between 30-50 watts would suit pretty well I think although I have no valve experience!
Peavey Classic 30
Laney Lionheart
Hughes & Kettner 25th Anniversary Tube Edition
Laney VC30
Laney LC30
Marshall MA50C
Last edited by jamesfarr at Oct 18, 2009,
do you need 2 channels? greggy and ILiKePiNeAppLeS know what i'm going to suggest if you don't...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you need 2 channels? greggy and ILiKePiNeAppLeS know what i'm going to suggest if you don't...
Of course . You can call me Cahum btw. ILiKePiNeAppLeS is a bit long.

EDIT:
Quote by greggybhoy
Check your PM mate in about 2 or 3 minutes. I'm sending you a message.

Me? If so I didn't get it..
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Oct 18, 2009,
Yeah I would love a amp with two channels ideally... thoose orange rocker 30w look pretty neat. One thing is I wanna use whatever I get for home use aswell as jamming, pubs etc, and it seems that loads of people downgrade from say a 40w tube to a 5w tiny terror or something like that for home use because a 40w valve combo is just too much. Do you think that would be a problem?
^ depends on if you need power tube overdrive or not.

Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Of course . You can call me Cahum btw. ILiKePiNeAppLeS is a bit long.

sure

whack it in your sig or user title somewhere, that'll make sure we all remember. Most of the regular who didn't boringly put their names in their user title like me do that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?