kanye west's new album kinda sucked. he was trying to sing stuff and he tweaked his voice so much that it wasnt even his voice anymore. he doesnt have a lot ofmusical talent, though i did like heartless.
WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT this is UG we are primarily rock and metal fans, and you listen to Kanye west?
"Sign your guitar? I'll sign your arse if you want me to!" - Herman Li, at a guitar clinic in Malaysia

Yo Shredflame I'm really happy for you, and Imma gonna let you finish, but UG is for all genres
mmm your right, i guess what im really saying is that UG doesnt cater as well for genres outside rock and metal
"Sign your guitar? I'll sign your arse if you want me to!" - Herman Li, at a guitar clinic in Malaysia

It was different. It's true most of it sucked, however Amazing, Welcome to Heartbreak and Love Lockdown were solid songs

But all and all, **** autotune
I loved the sound he had on his Graduation album. His latest one sucks bad. Street Lights is a decent song, though. Auto tune sucks.
kanye is whack
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I love how nobody realizes that the way people like T-Pain and Kanye West (well, I haven't heard his new album, so I'm assuming) uses auto-tune is a creative misuse of the program, to create an effect that would not be achieved otherwise. When auto-tune is used "properly" you wouldn't even notice it.

This kinda stuff used to be called innovation, now people are too closed-minded and traditionalist to accept the fact that people try to make use of new technology on an art form. Although I can agree that it's a bit of a fad nowadays to misuse auto-tune, the whole "80s" swamp-every-vocal-and-snare-drum-with-reverb sound was a fad that died too.
Quote by xaviergray
I love how nobody realizes that the way people like T-Pain and Kanye West (well, I haven't heard his new album, so I'm assuming) uses auto-tune is a creative misuse of the program, to create an effect that would not be achieved otherwise. When auto-tune is used "properly" you wouldn't even notice it.

that's the point.
I approve of T pain's use of autotune. I think it sounds horrible, but I can respect it because he was the first one who started to use it in the 'abusive' way.

But everyone else can, as I said, blow me balls deep.
I actually really like it, it's got a very intimate atmosphere and the emotional content creates an interesting opposition when it's performed be such highly produced, 'computerised' vocals.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
The problem with the 'auto tune' effect that's popular now, is that it's just so digitalised (if that's the right word) same with a lot of the beats and stuff. I like Hip hop to be rawer, it just sounds better and adds way more atmosphere in my opinion.

And also, i think Kanye is very pretencious.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
I like Hip hop to be rawer, it just sounds better and adds way more atmosphere in my opinion.

Of course you like it rawer, you have Liquid swords as your avatar There's nothing rawer than the GZA and the rest of the Wu Tang...
Quote by pwnerer
Of course you like it rawer, you have Liquid swords as your avatar There's nothing rawer than the GZA and the rest of the Wu Tang...

Yeah.
'ooooooooooooi laik it raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw, ooooooooooooo i laik it raaaawwwwwwwww!'

Yeah, but enough of that already.
i think the auto-tune effect is, well, effective for the most part. the music isn't "raw" to begin with, especially most of kanye's repertoire, and it's a very interesting touch that seems to turn songs into megahits.

that being said, his newest album was garbage.
Quote by thucydides
that's the point.

You do realize that for autotune to make anything sound half decent, the singer must actually be able to sing? The program is not for making anyone a good singer, it's a cheaper solution to getting a good vocal than doing multiple takes for singers who can't afford to spend hours in the studio.

But when people hear the word "Auto" and "Tune" they assume that a computer magically tunes every note of a bad singer and makes it sound good, but it's technologically impossible to do that. The end result would waver madly between "chipmunk" and "giant" with all the sounds being raised and lowered to inhuman extremes. Well, I shouldn't say it's impossible, but it would make a bad singer sound even worse.

This whole anti-autotune thing to me is like a non-guitarist complaining about aspects of a guitar player's playing. You folks have probably never used auto-tune, and thus your concept of it is far removed from what actually happens in practice.

I'm not even a big fan of the T-Pain effect, although I admire the fact that he innovated. The same could be said about any aspect of music, though; distorted guitars, power chords, 80s gated vocal reverb, double-kick drumming, "emotional" guitar solos with a whole lot of note bends... The list goes on. My point is, just because something is popular, and just because you hate it doesn't mean everybody hates it. Why the hell would it be popular if that was the case?

/rant. Please don't think this is a personal attack at you... *XG checks who he is replying to* Thucydides. It's more to all who have misconceptions/dislike autotune or think autotune is cheating.
Last edited by xaviergray at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by xaviergray
It's more to all who have misconceptions/dislike autotune or think autotune is cheating.

It's not cheating... at least not IMO.

My beef with it is that the way people use it nowadays makes it sound really bad.
Quote by pwnerer
It's not cheating... at least not IMO.

My beef with it is that the way people use it nowadays makes it sound really bad.

I get what you're saying, I'm not a fan of the T-Pain effect - but I appreciate the fact that it's an innovation, although I see it as a bit of a fad of the decade, not a permanent component of music.
Quote by pwnerer
Hmm?

He's a 9 year old making attempts to be a part of the conversation (which he started). He's also a 9 year old probably trying to make himself look legit by increasing his post count. I can't really say much though, since I joined this site when I was 11.
Quote by xaviergray
I get what you're saying, I'm not a fan of the T-Pain effect - but I appreciate the fact that it's an innovation, although I see it as a bit of a fad of the decade, not a permanent component of music.

Peter Frampton did it 30 years ago, it's by no means "innovative"