I started a project this morning. Just for fun i took apart my Bandit 112, then decided that i'll make it into a head and cab.

Before:

What i have so far:

Amp:

ooo confusing!

Now i know exactly what to do to make it a head, but i dont know how to wire the speaker to make it a cab. I'll need some help with that.
Last edited by R74NOGRADY at Oct 18, 2009,
Nice idea, but I wouldn't go through all that trouble for a Peavey Bandit. Nice guitar, btw.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
Nice idea, but I wouldn't go through all that trouble for a Peavey Bandit. Nice guitar, btw.

Thanks. I thought the same thing at first but then i was like ahh WTF i'll do it. This way when i get a better head, i'll be able to use it with my 1X12 cab for band practices. oh and thank you! it's sexy eh?
Well I think it's a good idea if you really wanna mod it like this, because this is not so expensive if something goes wrong. Also good experience for the future, maybe someday you will be a boutique amp technician
you don't know how to wire the speaker to make it a cab? That's not a good sign. It really couldn't be simpler. There should be a marked red terminal on the speaker or something like that which would be wired to the tip of the jack socket then the other to the sleeve. Good idea to wire the 2 speaker cables on the amp "head" now to a jack too. If you knew which wire went to which speaker terminal it might have helped but it really doesn't matter as long as it's wired in phase with the other speaker output.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by eddiehimself
you don't know how to wire the speaker to make it a cab? That's not a good sign. It really couldn't be simpler. There should be a marked red terminal on the speaker or something like that which would be wired to the tip of the jack socket then the other to the sleeve. Good idea to wire the 2 speaker cables on the amp "head" now to a jack too. If you knew which wire went to which speaker terminal it might have helped but it really doesn't matter as long as it's wired in phase with the other speaker output.

There's already an output jack on the amp so i dont need to do anything. There's a yellow and a blue wire that used to go from the "head" to the speaker. Do i cut them off of the "head" part, connect them to the speaker and solder the other ends that were connected to the amp to the jack? and what kind of jack should i use.

EDIT:

updates!

After bringing my boat out of the water and helping my dad lay bricks on the house, i started to make the box thingy for the head lol. Keep in mind that im only 15 so it sucks...

I also found this piece of metal that i can use for the grill on the head. i have no idea how i'll cut it though
Wich logo shouldi pick?
Last edited by R74NOGRADY at Oct 18, 2009,
maybe im wrong but you cant just use the line out without some kind of dummyload or you will blow your amp.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by TechnoLp
maybe im wrong but you cant just use the line out without some kind of dummyload or you will blow your amp.

the output he is talking about is a speaker out which when used cancels the signal that would have gone to the built in speaker, as long as he's careful to not have the amp on without it plugged into a cab he should be ok

granted this is not the safest way to do it, I would have wired the wires going to the speaker to a new output on the amp

Cool project though, I'm planning on turning my combo into a cab once I save up for build a new amp head.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by R74NOGRADY
There's already an output jack on the amp so i dont need to do anything. There's a yellow and a blue wire that used to go from the "head" to the speaker. Do i cut them off of the "head" part, connect them to the speaker and solder the other ends that were connected to the amp to the jack? and what kind of jack should i use.

Sounds like an idea to me. Well if you're converting it into a proper cab that you can use with any speaker then might as well use a female jack and use a cable to connect the 2.

Also this is a SOLID STATE amp. You could run it without a speaker all day if you want and it won't blow up. Only tube amps need to have a load to run.

And finally, use the logo with the square slanty writing. That's my favourite.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Oct 19, 2009,
^ thanks. it made sence to me, but I wasn't sure if that's all I needed to do. What type of jack should i get? Right now im using the cab on the mono setting and plugging it into the left side. On the head, it says minimum 8
ohm.
So you're just gonna leave it an unsanded, unfinished plywood box? You should sand and finish/tolex it before putting the handle on.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I'm going to finish it lmao i just drilled the holes for the handle i can take it off easily. All i need to do now is drill the holes to hold up the electronics and cut a piece of wood for the back and the piece of metal for the front and i'm done!!

EDIT:
more pics
more progress. everynow and then i'd stop working on my essay and work on my amp lol

Last edited by R74NOGRADY at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by R74NOGRADY
^ thanks. it made sence to me, but I wasn't sure if that's all I needed to do. What type of jack should i get? Right now im using the cab on the mono setting and plugging it into the left side. On the head, it says minimum 8
ohm.

Just get a mono female jack for the speaker cab. Or is it some different jack you're talking about?
EH

Quote by R74NOGRADY
Ok thanks. i wasnt sure if i nedeed a special speaker jack or anything.

Not really, you certainly don't need a speakon jack if that's what you mean. My bass cab doesn't even have one which is 400w. Just a 1/4" should do.
EH

alright, sweet. that's easy On the speaker it says 8 ohm and on the head it says minimum 8 ohm. are you sure i should wire it to a mono switch? sorry if i keep asking im just dont want to **** up. Also, when i cut off the yellow and blue wires, do i need to cover them up or anything? they might short out the signal?

I'm pretty much done building the enclosure for the head. I dont have any tolex or anything, so i'll just leave it painted black until i buy some.
Nvm about the questions above... they got answered in another thread.
Anyways, here's what i did in the last 2 days.

i just need to buy some vynil or something and cut the metal sheet next to the amp for the grill. I just painted it black in the mean time so it would look cool.
That's pretty sick. I don't have a speaker that I could use as a cab or I would totally do this to my Peavey Rage 158. Oh well, that's another project for the future.
RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
February 10, 1981 - December 28, 2009

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Questions? IM me (check my profile)

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!
Quote by SavageSyn
That's pretty sick. I don't have a speaker that I could use as a cab or I would totally do this to my Peavey Rage 158. Oh well, that's another project for the future.

Thanks
You COULD do it to your peavey rage, but you'd end up with a tiny half stack.
Done the head for now. I just tried to make it look good because i have a show comming up. I'll fix it up later. I ended up using this grip-tac stuff that looks like metal for the grill. I couldnt find a saw blade for steel, so this will do for now.

All i need to do is buy a jack for the cab and im done!
Quote by SavageSyn

I used a Rage 158 for the combo-to-head/cab tutorial.

For those who are wondering, I think this is worth doing to a Bandit just to be able to carry it in two pieces. I used to have one and it was awkward to carry. They made the cab far larger than it needs to be.
That looks so ****ty right now XD

But I do think its always fun to break up a combo into a head/cab. I've done it to two amps so far, its fun having odd coverings for the heads, I've never used a simple tolex covering.
It looks laright really. I would ask though, how come you have a 4x12 cab but no head to drive it?
EH

Quote by MadAudioMan
That looks so ****ty right now XD

But I do think its always fun to break up a combo into a head/cab. I've done it to two amps so far, its fun having odd coverings for the heads, I've never used a simple tolex covering.

Haha it's not THAT bad. i finished it really fast cause i have a show comming up and i didnt want it to be like bare plywood... I'm going to finish it properly later.

Quote by eddiehimself

It looks laright really. I would ask though, how come you have a 4x12 cab but no head to drive it?

Well this summer i saved all of my money, then i saw a half stack on sale for 500 so thats what gave me the idea of buying a better amp. I tried the amp and it was a piece of shit. The music store asked me some questions and stuff then they suggested that i just buy a cab for now, and later when i have the money to get a head. They said i could use my bandit as a head and it would actually be pretty good.

Soo... i bought a good cab (well good enough) and brought it home. Then i had the idea of converting my bandit. That way i could use it as a 1X12 cab when i get a better head, and it wont look funny when i play at shows.
Last edited by R74NOGRADY at Oct 26, 2009,
dude, that's sweet, I've been contemplating doing the same thing with mine, but it's a problem finding the right cab that would complement OD/Fuzz channels and not sound shite.
you should buy another combo to covert but put both chassis in one case
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
ALL DONE!! :O

lol jk,
i put my bandit back together and bought that head instead. I thought about it and realised it was stupid since its better to just bring a combo than a head and a 1X12 cab... Should be getting the head in the mail tomorrow!
Last edited by R74NOGRADY at Nov 18, 2009,