Page 1 of 2
I come in need of help again fellow UG'ers.

I got a friend that im starting a band with. Only problem is that his crappy ibanez geo goes out of tune every 2 seconds. So for his birthday, he's getting 5-600 american dollars to dump on a good guiar.

Problem is, he's left handed and he claims that at the GC (which we both go to often) near us, the selection for left handed people is "utter shit"

He said he wanted to get a righty guitar and restring it like he did with his acoustic. I know a few problems with this, but the bigger problem im seeing is the lack of a cutaway (hed be playing rhythm, but like most normal people who listen to metal, hed try soloing at some point).

So what i am asking is what's a good righty guitar(5-600 american dollars) for grunge, hard rock/heavy/thrash metal that has a decent cutaway on the other side of the guitar that could be well used for leftys.

I know i might not be extremely clear, if you need clarification just say so.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Well, any super strat model has a decent cut away at both sides, (or strats in general for that matter), SGs have ok cutaways.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Flying V like models are also good
GEAR
Epiphone SG G 400
Marshall JH-1
Peavy Vyper
Marshall MG 10
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
Hartke A100
most guitars have a decent cutaway on both sides except les pauls, but id say some kind of super strat body would work well
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Some of those PRS Double Cut aways, dunno about the pricerange.

But i fink dat a SG or V would be ideal
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Ok, so now we got down to an SG, Superstrat, or V. Can anyone suggest specific models? Oh yeah forgot to say no tremolo unit.
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
If he doesn't mind using the classical position playing when seated, a V might be his best bet. Also, if that's a problem, he can bolt on a block of wood or something on the bottom (from his perspective) to keep it on his leg in the regular seated position.

Sure, Hendrix used a Strat most of the time, but he has few songs that go high up on the neck. He also used a Gibson V occasionally.

As far as Superstrats go, even a Jackson Soloist only gives you access up to the 20th fret from the upper cutaway.
I'd probably get a Jackson KVX10 if I were lefty.

If he's not into V's, he should probably get something with a double cutaway like an SG.
Damn, flipping a guitar will cause problems. All the controls are gonna be on the top.. Have to buy a lefty. Or play right-handed.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Does he like reverse headstocks? If not then if he gets something with a reverse headstock then it will be like a normal headstock for him. Is he going to do the new nut himself? Wouldn't trust GC for that...
The controls of most guitars will get in the way. I don't really recommend it. I recommend trying out the right hand version, and ordering the left-hand version. Guitar Center can order anything on their site for you. But at that point, you might as well just get it online because you won't have to pay for tax and you'll probably have it sooner.
Quote by jetwash69
Is he going to do the new nut himself? Wouldn't trust GC for that...

I didnt even think about that at all lol. Could you elaborate what would have to be done with the nut or point out a link?
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by John5rules125
I didnt even think about that at all lol. Could you elaborate what would have to be done with the nut or point out a link?

You have to change the nut out to a lefty one, it is easy all you do is get the guitars nut out gently with a little heat and a small sharp object, then mix some water and glue and stick the new nut on. Then you have to reverse the intonation for the bridge.

I say that a SG is the easiest to flop around.
Can't GC order some guitars in or are there any other shops near you? How set is your friend on getting a righty?.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by mnf50
ummm... what's wrong with ordering a lefty online?

i get the impression that his friends someone who wont buy something unless he tried it
I would have told him to learn playing guitar right-handed when he started.

If he wants a righty guitar and flip it, he should buy something with double-cutaway or a V-style guitar.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by apak
Damn, flipping a guitar will cause problems. All the controls are gonna be on the top.. Have to buy a lefty. Or play right-handed.

Thats what Janick Gers and me and loads of others do and is the cheaper and IMO easier way.Just look for the lefty guitars on the internet and find a nearby shop tht stock it.Jackson make quite a lot of leftys and good ones too.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by darkcheef
You have to change the nut out to a lefty one, it is easy all you do is get the guitars nut out gently with a little heat and a small sharp object, then mix some water and glue and stick the new nut on. Then you have to reverse the intonation for the bridge.

I say that a SG is the easiest to flop around.

+1. Also the new nut might need some setup. This is best done with files made for the job (from StewMac.com) but some people do it with sandpaper (shudder). I'd just take it to a luthier; probably cost from $50 - $100 including the nut. Might as well let the luthier adjust the intonation and do the rest of the setup, too.

But giving GC money to do this is really taking your chances.

BTW, GC online charges tax if there's a brick and mortar GC in your state. Musician's Friend (MF) only has stores in Kansas and Oregon, so that's the place to buy online. They'll often cut you a deal, too. Don't buy a guitar online without a case. GC & MF are really the same company, but you get a tax advantage w/MF unless you live in KS or OR.
Quote by apak

Jimi Hendrix begs to differ.
why dont left handed people start out on a righty guitar, so they get used to it that way? Like with anything, you'll get use to it so why not play like a right handed person?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Quote by CKYIbanezParker
why dont left handed people start out on a righty guitar, so they get used to it that way? Like with anything, you'll get use to it so why not play like a right handed person?

I agree with this also.

I'm lefty, and play righty because honestly, I feel like it's easier to fret with my left hand.
Because there is a preconceived notion that that's the established way to do it, and that there's some reason why its better for you.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
The big chains like sam ash and GC usually have some lefty guitars in stock. Last GC I went in had at least 10 lefties in stock to try. As a lefty I can tell him he will hate playing just about any guitar strung upside down. The SG is one of the worst as the controls and jack are in the worst possible place. Some can get used to playing a strat upside down I never could.
If your GC sucks for selection, then why not try out a local store? They're almost always happy to even order in a lefty of the model you want so you can try it before you buy
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
May I point out that all of the models we have mentioned in this thread come in a lefty version? If he is going to get an SG, or a Strat, or a V and then string it upside down, why doesn't he just get a lefty version? I'm pretty sure a GC or some other local music store will stock at least one lefty SG or Strat.
You know what. He should get what he sounds best. Be it lefty pr righty. (unless its a les because honestly)
Quote by CKYIbanezParker

and why doesn't the united states switch to metric measures like the rest of the world?

There are plenty of lefty guitars around, you should be able to pick up pretty much any schecter, and there are plenty of used lefty ibanez's, carvins too usually.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Last edited by Deep*Kick at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by Deep*Kick
There are plenty of lefty guitars around, you should be able to pick up pretty much any schecter, and there are plenty of used lefty ibanez's, carvins too usually.

There are very few lefty guitars compared to righties. Lefties are also more expensive. They're harder to find used and harder to sell. Those seem like good reasons to me. When you start out learning to play, lefty and righty doesn't matter at all since it'll be a completely new experience no matter which you decide on. It's not like strumming and fingering notes are natural skills. They require practice. In all honesty, I think the only reason lefties exist is because Hendrix made it cool.

That was simply aimed at beginners starting out on lefties, not for people to switch from lefties to righties.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Oct 19, 2009,
when I picked up a guitar for the first time I instinctively held it lefty even though it was right handed. It's not like just because you're a beginner means you have no preference. It's the same as most other situations where there are left and right handed methods, just because you haven't shot a gun before, or played tennis before, or fapped before doesn't mean you won't lean towards one way or another.
Normally I despise people telling others "whatever way feels best for you is the right way", in technique threads, but it actually works like that when you pick up your first guitar.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Whoever said that my friend needs to try something, thats completley true. I was thinking of possibly selling my SG and then help change the nut around

rondoomusics a possibility, but then again, he needs to try it out.

Hes also completley set on a right hand, and theres no good local store (which kinda sucks) but thanks for your help guys.
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Try a melody maker, by Gibson. As I recall, they have a double cutaway, and are around 600...
Those arent really good guitars bro, i no that from experience lol.
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by CKYIbanezParker

Here's a guess..... maybe it comes natural and it feels comfortable to some of them
Quote by JELIFISH19
There are very few lefty guitars compared to righties. Lefties are also more expensive. They're harder to find used and harder to sell. Those seem like good reasons to me. When you start out learning to play, lefty and righty doesn't matter at all since it'll be a completely new experience no matter which you decide on. It's not like strumming and fingering notes are natural skills. They require practice. In all honesty, I think the only reason lefties exist is because Hendrix made it cool.

That was simply aimed at beginners starting out on lefties, not for people to switch from lefties to righties.

This post completely ignorant, opinionated and shows you've got a complete lack of perspective.

What hand did you play with when you first played Tennis, or a similar sport? Why did you choose that hand? It felt natural. It felt stupid to play the opposite way. It most likely felt like you had a crippling disability.
As a left handed person there are several catergories you could fall into. You get the strong left handed people that have to do everything left handed, and the ones which are comfotable doing a bit of both.
For a lot of left handers playing guitar right handed feels beyond stupid.
When I started playing I knew I would never be able to play right handed - even though I couldn't play either way playing trying to play anything right handed took far more concentration.

Guitar didn't begin with Hendrix, and people have always played lefty before he did. That was the most stupid claim of the lot. Hendrix made playing an intsrument with soul and passion look cool.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I think the only reason lefties exist is because Hendrix made it cool.

Does anybody remember Paul McCartney?
Does it offend you, yeah?
Quote by Hotpress
Does anybody remember Paul McCartney?

And Albert King, seems like everyone forgets lefties and only remember Jimi Hendrix.
Page 1 of 2