Hi!

My Washburn Stealth Dime 3 seems to have some stange wiring... wires from the Bill Lawrence L500XL and the Seymour Duncan'59 were soldered directly to the 3-way selector switch (Gibson type). From it to the 2 volume pots, tone, and output jack.

My Washburn Diamond Plate and my Southern Cross (yeah... hehehehe) seem to have the same kind of wiring, but the selector switch is different (6 contact square).

I've desoldered all wires from my Steath (just thinking I would find the wiring scheme easily on the Inetrnet) but now I can't find a single thread about this matter!

Some help??? Any wiring diagram?

As I told, it's pickups>Gibson 3-way>Volume pots>Tone pot>Output jack.

Thanks!

Roi.
In addition, it seems to be the only possibility for wiring, as there is only ONE hole in the body communicating the pickups to the switch... from there another hole to the pots zone.
Quote by soundroi
I've desoldered all wires from my Steath (just thinking I would find the wiring scheme easily on the Inetrnet) but now I can't find a single thread about this matter!
A few minute of you making a drawing could have saved you a TON of problems. Now you have to figure out the puzzle from odd bit of info YOU will have to generate.

Quote by soundroi
As I told, it's pickups>Gibson 3-way>Volume pots>Tone pot>Output jack.

Thanks!

Roi.
I'd tell you to use the Guitar Wiring thread, but you've created such a mess here, that I don't want to see that thread cluttered with this.

Stop talking and start DRAWING. You want a diagram, YOU will have to be the one to start.

Make a good quality drawing of the parts you have, especially the selector switch.
Show all contact points and how they are currently connected.
Indicate the number of individual wires and colours connecting the 3-way to the volume pots.
Show the connections between the volume and tone pots and the output jack.

Do that, and maybe someone can help you.
Else you have only two chances for success. Slim and none.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Mmmmm... thanks for your quick and authoritarian comment... I can't make a diagram as I have nothing connected yet.

It's a Gibson 3-way switch, 2 volume pots, 1 tone pot, 2 humbuckers. It's a washburn dime 3 USA guitar. I think someone will have this same guitar (or someone may have repaired it), or just anybody had the ssame problem... there are a few thousands of these guitars, specially in the USA!

Any help will be much apreciated... thank you very much.
Check Seymour Duncan's website, but be prepared that you may have to wire this one differently in order to make it useable.

If you don't want to do that, you can email Washburn directly and ask them for the wiring diagram. They may or may noot give it to you, but it's probably your best shot.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by soundroi
Mmmmm... thanks for your quick and authoritarian comment... I can't make a diagram as I have nothing connected yet.
WRONG.

You can start the drawing by including all the parts. Leave any unmade connections out.
But that's too much work for you, isn't it?
You'd rather make excuses why you should do NOTHING to start the drawing and have someone else spoonfeed the whole thing to you.

Quote by soundroi
I think someone will have this same guitar (or someone may have repaired it), or just anybody had the ssame problem... there are a few thousands of these guitars, specially in the USA!
Yep, there are literally thousands of them. Although I would guess not many people have the same problem. Most people don't just rip out all the wiring and try to figure it out afterward.

So now all you need is someone who has the same guitar.

... and who is willing to open it up.

... and who is willing to make a diagram for a guy who's too lazy to start the process himself.

Maybe you'll find just such a person.

Good luck.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Oct 18, 2009,
Or he could do what I said and just find a Duncan diagram that'll work.

Either way, no skin off my balls.

Well... I think you should take it easy... please avoid such comments as "lazy boy", etc.

I was waiting a good explanation for someone who knows this case and who would take no time to response... I mean, someone who just has the knowledge so this would be an easy question to solve.

And I think that a photo of the switch and the pots would do the work.

Seymour Duncan schemes obviously work. I just have to invert the soderings... the problem is that the guitar body doesn't have the hole for this, and I'd rather try to leave the guitar as it came from Washburn.

If someone knows this case please let me know.

No need for such bad moods man! Enjoy life!

Respect!
What do you mean "reverse the solderings"? Wiring to an SD diagram is exactly the same as wiring to Washburn specs. There would be no holes whatsoever.

Also, you're not going to find many people with the specific knowledge for this. Most GB&C'ers don't know Washburns because, in general, Washburns aren't the kind of guitars people mod.

Quote by soundroi
Well... I think you should take it easy... please avoid such comments as "lazy boy", etc.
I haven't called you "boy" ... at least not yet. Just lazy. Fact.

Quote by soundroi
I mean, someone who just has the knowledge so this would be an easy question to solve.
Yes it is easy. But some knowledgeable people have an expectation that the person requesting assistance do their part. As I said previously, you just might be able to find someone willing to help, despite your laziness.

Quote by soundroi
No need for such bad moods man!
You not wanting to be told you're lazy =/= me being in a bad mood.

Quote by bv310
What do you mean "reverse the solderings"? Wiring to an SD diagram is exactly the same as wiring to Washburn specs. There would be no holes whatsoever.
Read the OP again, Brock. The pickup wiring goes to the switch cavity, first. Then to the control cavity. But there are SEPARATE volume controls, not just one master.

This requires either 5 conductor + shield OR 2 conductor + shield to connect between the switch cavity and the control cavity, depending on how it's wired.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I haven't called you "boy" ... at least not yet. Just lazy. Fact.

This requires either 5 conductor + shield OR 2 conductor + shield to connect between the switch cavity and the control cavity, depending on how it's wired.

Exactly! That's it, 2 conductor + shield. That's the way the Diamond Plate it's wired: 6 pin Switch (2 for each pickup "hot", 2 soldered to shield, and the last two pins have the two conductors that go to each pot's middle pin).

The problem is that this guitar has a Gibson switch, not a 6 pin.

By the way, may be the only solution is to change the switch for a 6-pin. Do you know what selector is this? What specs?
I see, but am quite confused. What advantages are there to such a wiring scheme?

Also, TS, email Washburn and ask them for a wiring diagram. It will save you a considerable amount of effort.

Quote by soundroi
Exactly! That's it, 2 conductor + shield. That's the way the Diamond Plate it's wired: 6 pin Switch (2 for each pickup "hot", 2 soldered to shield, and the last two pins have the two conductors that go to each pot's middle pin).

The problem is that this guitar has a Gibson switch, not a 6 pin.

By the way, may be the only solution is to change the switch for a 6-pin. Do you know what selector is this? What specs?

does it have a dpdt push pull pot?

i'm ****ing confused its a 2 volume 1 tone guitar, gibson style switch. and follow SYKs advice, he's easily the best on wiring here. then jim, and everyone will make you put in a little effort. we're here to help you, not do it for you- in the words of jim, paraphrased but i'm pretty sue that was close enough

and brock's got a decent idea of emailing washburn
ohh FFS.

this is probebly the diagram that you need.

now, do we need to send the GB&C soldering monkeys out there to help you solder it?

ohh, and if its got a push-pull, tell me and ill get that diagram.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
A few minute of you making a drawing could have saved you a TON of problems. Now you have to figure out the puzzle from odd bit of info YOU will have to generate.

I'd tell you to use the Guitar Wiring thread, but you've created such a mess here, that I don't want to see that thread cluttered with this.

Stop talking and start DRAWING. You want a diagram, YOU will have to be the one to start.

Make a good quality drawing of the parts you have, especially the selector switch.
Show all contact points and how they are currently connected.
Indicate the number of individual wires and colours connecting the 3-way to the volume pots.
Show the connections between the volume and tone pots and the output jack.

Do that, and maybe someone can help you.
Else you have only two chances for success. Slim and none.

Hey,

You give the worst advice. I'm still here. You unfunny Jew cocksucker.

Go die in a fire.*pic removed*
Quote by blandguitar
not for long. reported

have fun being banned ******

Nice try, cockface.

I'm still here.
Quote by try me
Nice try, cockface.

I'm still here.

*reported*
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Hi guys!

1/ Let me say again the Seymour duncan scheme DOESN'T WORK as in this Stealth solderings go from the pickups to the switch FIRST, then the pots. I've checked all their diagrams long before coming here for help.

2/ Washburn states in his web that they don't send any instrument manual or diagram.

3/ It's a Gibson style 3-way switch... that's the problem! As I said, in my Diamond plate there's this same wiring thing but with a 6-pin DPDT switch, which seems logical.

4/ NO I don't need anyone to solder this... I can really manage myself, believe me guys. What I do need is someone with some experience in guitar electronics that can very easily explain what was inside this guitar.

5/ May be I can just fix this by using a DPDT switch, as in the Diamond Plate, Southern Cross, etc?

6/ Despite some of your comments, insults, and that b**ls**t, good manners it's a matter that takes many years for some people to learn. But thanks again!

Roi, Cochlea Audio.
Quote by soundroi
3/ It's a Gibson style 3-way switch... that's the problem! As I said, in my Diamond plate there's this same wiring thing but with a 6-pin DPDT switch, which seems logical.
Gibson switch can be made to work.

Quote by soundroi
4/ NO I don't need anyone to solder this... I can really manage myself, believe me guys. What I do need is someone with some experience in guitar electronics that can very easily explain what was inside this guitar.
You have two halves to that switch, the hot for each pickup goes to it's half of the switch. The pickup grounds are tied together. The two separate hots, each go to the wiper of it's prospective volume control. The CCW ends of the two volume controls are connected to ground. The CW ends of the two volume pots are tied together, this goes to the tone control and to the output jack.

Quote by soundroi
5/ May be I can just fix this by using a DPDT switch, as in the Diamond Plate, Southern Cross, etc?
Or just use the Gibson switch.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Oct 19, 2009,
the SD schem will work, you just dont want to put the vol/switch in that order, right?

why not? it wont sound any differant, and i dont think it would act any differant either.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
It would be much, much easier to simply wire it to the Seymour Duncan diagram. It will work perfectly.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Hi again!

Well... just returned from work. Thank you very much, SomeoneYouKnew. I've just tried your advice with the Gibson switch, did all the soldering but there seems to be a problem.

In the middle selector position there's no signal at all, no pickup is working.
In the other two positions (up and down) BOTH pickups are active (with both level pots working properly).

Something wrong? I think I've done it just like you recommended...
the two center pins are your output of the switch. the two pickup hows go to the outer ones. the single lug in the bck is grounded. btw, the gibson switch technichally is a DPDT iirc.
So do you mean both outer pins for the pickups, and both center pins go each one to its vol pot?

That's it?
if you're going pick => switch=> volume wire the hot for the neck to one outer pin. the center pin on that side then goes to the pot. duplicate for the other pup. then wire the outputs of your volume pots to the tone and output jack
It works perfectly. Thank you VERY MUCH.

Changed the pots to CTS, Switchcraft Jack, Fender Switch, All holes covered in aluminum tape, the Tone pot is not connected. ZERO hum, no noise, the guitar is now amazing...

Thanks again, blandguitar and someoneyouknew. Now let's play!
thank SYK(which you did, but just saying), all i did was reiterate. glad your guitar works man. i love my dime333. you should stick around UG though, last i checked your only posts were in here. GB&C has lots to teach