So I've heard people say that guitar pedals sound great with a bass and I've also heard that guitar amps sound great with a bass...
But I know that a bass will absolutley destroy a bass amp because of the low frequencies, so what will happen to guitar pedals?
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Nothing bad would happen to the pedal, but it wouldn't sound very good (mostly with distortions, ODs and fuzzes) because they're designed to work best with the higher frequencies. With most modulation pedals like flanger and chorus and others they're not 'tuned' to set frequencies, so work just as well with both guitar and bass.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Nothing bad would happen to the pedal, but it wouldn't sound very good (mostly with distortions, ODs and fuzzes) because they're designed to work best with the higher frequencies. With most modulation pedals like flanger and chorus and others they're not 'tuned' to set frequencies, so work just as well with both guitar and bass.

I think a Boss DS1 sounds great with bass and it is about the most generic guitar distortion out there, but yeah, some pedals will absolutely suck the life out of you.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Some distortion sounds really good on a bass, some sounds really bad.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
I use a guitar distortion, a Behringer (puts up flame shield, I know im ashamed lol) Ultra Metal pedal specifically to cut my low end out and sound like a guitar, just for some parts of some random progressive, alternative stuff I do. I've used guitar distortion in combination with other effects too, but I have to say, you have to really be looking for that particular sound, otherwise guitar distortion types of pedals will really **** with your tone
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by lordofthefood1
I think a Boss DS1 sounds great with bass and it is about the most generic guitar distortion out there.

Of course there are exceptions, the DS-1 being one of them. I have to admit, it does sound particularly good with bass.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Thanks penguin. I meant to say a bass will destry a guitar cab (or combo amp)

What about pedals?
Everyone is talking about tone, i know what they sound like, I just want to know how safe it is for the pedal

You know, I don't want to pay 100+ for a pedal that is destroyed in the first few days

the pedal will not be destroyed by a bass signal.

a distortion won't be super effective tonally though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Jasonbts
You know, I don't want to pay 100+ for a pedal that is destroyed in the first few days

No damage will be done to a guitar pedal if you play through it with a bass.
I actually run with a DS-1 (with an eq to cut some of the treble, it's pretty bright) and Big Muff Pi on my pedal board. They don't LOVE the low the notes on my B string tonally, but they've survived for about a year and a half, and all i've had to do is change batteries.

Analogue delays don't sound bad either, but i really can't find a need for one to be honest.

That being said, I've killed 2 guitar amps at my school because the band director couldn't tell the difference, and plugged me into the wrong amp =/
Most modulation pedals actually do just fine with bass, with little to no tone suck. Really the only pedals that need to be specific are the ones that are affected by what frequency is being played, like octavers or choruses. (well, that and the ones with guitar EQ's and/or low-cut filters like distortions and wahs)
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Oct 21, 2009,
Keep in mind though as soon as you start mixing tweeter/horns with fuzz, distortion or overdrive it's a recipe for disaster
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects