I'm interested in buying one but there's a bunch of different types and parts to mix and match

What would you guys recommend?
Quote by plague o' death
I'm interested in buying one but there's a bunch of different types and parts to mix and match

What would you guys recommend?
There are so many variants of the Fender Strat bridge, even the Vintage-style have 2 different string spacing. What model do you have?

Quote by Ippon
There are so many variants of the Fender Strat bridge, even the Vintage-style have 2 different string spacing. What model do you have?

I don't have one actually. I'm looking into using one for a custom guitar job. I decided I don't want a Floyd Rose (too much hassle).

I was looking on musiciansfriend and they have the Vintage model and the American model. And on the Fender website they have quite a few different bridges to swap in either of them.

I will say, judging from my use of my Fender Jaguar I think I like a pop-in trem arm than the screw in one.
Also, what're the differences between the 6 screw tremolo and the 2 screw one? Aside from cosmetics and the amount of screws etc. ?
Callaham is tops, in my book.

Put a 6 screw vintage on my Partscaster, and makes a BIG difference.

Intonates easier, pivots on the screws far smoother with no need for the strat "pullback" after using, and the block is monstrous! Snappier, tighter sound, far more sustain, less tinny/hollow sounding.

As far as which one to get, you need to know which style you have:
Vintage = 6 screw
Am Std = 2 screw/offset intonation screws
2 1/16 or 2 7/32 string spacing

What's the model of strat you're upgrading? Pics?
Check out Trem King. Vintage looking, but it's a fixed bridge. Has a wider range than a vintage vibrato, but it holds tuning like a Floyd Rose.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by Rutch
What's the model of strat you're upgrading? Pics?

I don't have a strat, nor do I have the tremolo.

I'm looking into which tremolo is better or which I like best. I'm putting together a guitar project to be just like somebody else's, but with my own choice of parts etc.

He used a vintage strat model. But I find I like the look of the American Standard series, but I dunno what difference the 6 screws or 2 screws make on intonation, setup, function, and everything else.

I don't wanna use Floyd Rose because its too damn complicated to set up and restring and then clamp it all down. For that, to me, you get the tremolo, put a good nut, and use Schaller or Fender locking tuners and then MAYBE put a TremSetter in the tremolo cavity (though i'm still looking into that because, if I use heavy strings, I would need 5 springs, and the TremSetter forbids you from using more than 3 springs, but even then i'm sketchy on how the Fender Tremolo works exactly).
In my opinion, tremsetters are a waste of time. With a decent tremolo it's not needed.

I put a Wilkinson on my strat, cured all my tuning stability issues, and if you buy a proper one (rather than a cheap copy) with the big steel block, it's a very nice piece of kit.
Quote by mark_wuk
In my opinion, tremsetters are a waste of time. With a decent tremolo it's not needed.

I put a Wilkinson on my strat, cured all my tuning stability issues, and if you buy a proper one (rather than a cheap copy) with the big steel block, it's a very nice piece of kit.

I dunno, the idea of a tremsetter makes sense when you bend strings (which I do, a lot), and in general. Like, its one thing if it were a Bigsby (which I have on my Epiphone), where all the movement and stability is based around the bridge and the nut and the tail piece (I have a graphite nut, I need to get a new bridge, but i have Grovers on it, and tuning is rarely an issue on that guitar).

Or say, the Fender Jaguar Tremolo where the bridge rocks with it, and everything's all nice and tucked away, but with the springs on a Strat, to me (I could be wrong), seems like its gonna run into problems with the springs underneath the hood and the idea that the tremolo and bridge are one piece.

But, y'know what wait, how do the springs actually function anyway? And do I need all 5 or 6 (I can never remember the max amount it takes)? For heavier gauge strings? For medium (10 or 11) gauge strings? Going up AND down on the tremolo? From everybody else's opinion is the TremSetter worth getting because in this video here ? I saw the setup and its like, "Wtf, I can't use all the springs?"

So basically the general consensus is, go for a third party manufacturer for a Strat tremolo, right? Any tips on tuning and keeping tune? Preferences or tips on pop-in or screw-in trem arms? Restringing?