Recently I have been getting into some "Jazz Fusion" music. I have enjoyed Chris Polands work the most in particular (thanks to "Return to Metalopolis" and his Megadeth stuff). I really want to create some of this music but Im not quite sure how to meld the two and... well make it fuse. Everything I come up with is pretty much just jazz or just Hard rock/Metal. What should I do to create a heavily jazz influenced metal/hard rock peice, because I find it hard to meld the two. Possibly some suggestions from personal experience?
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX AD50VTXL Valvetronix Amp
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

Originally Posted By iron_maiden93

He wants to rape us....He raped me

Quote by stephen_rettie
how theoretically minded are you? id look at using jazz like progressions in a metal context.

Well I have done that but when I put it into "Metal context" for me it kinda loses its jazziness. It just sounds like straight up metal. How would you do it?
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX AD50VTXL Valvetronix Amp
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

Originally Posted By iron_maiden93

He wants to rape us....He raped me

Check out Cynic, Exivious and Pestilence (on their album Spheres) for ideas on mixing the two.
Maybe U2 wouldn't suck so hard if they stopped preaching and started rocking instead. Of course, that's difficult to do with Pantera holding a near monopoly on all things that rock.
-Maddox.
check out bands that do it definitely, look how they do it, examine their music. listen to between the buried and me.
the jazziness will come from the weird progressions and any jazz techniques in the leads.
Usually most bands switch between jazzy and metaly. Theres usually no heavily distorted bIIIM7 chords. In fact theres usually no major chords in metal. Peculiar.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Quote by Ribcage
Usually most bands switch between jazzy and metaly. Theres usually no heavily distorted bIIIM7 chords. In fact theres usually no major chords in metal. Peculiar.

Cynic sometimes plays full chords distorted, but bands like Atheist or Pestilence just about never do. Major chords are few and far between, but if they ever do appear in metal or hardcore they are almost always maj7, from my experience. The maj7 gives an extra dissonance and color that makes it sound 'right' under distortion. Other than that, the post I quoted is totally right.

Actually, one of my favorite voicings I got from a Cynic song. Bdim7 (E-e) 78676x.
i don't know why i feel so dry
In Megadeth, Poland's jazz side comes through in his soloing, nothing else; he didn't write anything else as far as I know (Mustaine being the principle composer).

I reckon the best way to go about achieving a bit of his style would be to try and figure out what jazz licks you know would work over powerchords with distortion and metal technique.
Call me Batman.
Quote by Eastwinn
Cynic sometimes plays full chords distorted, but bands like Atheist or Pestilence just about never do. Major chords are few and far between, but if they ever do appear in metal or hardcore they are almost always maj7, from my experience. The maj7 gives an extra dissonance and color that makes it sound 'right' under distortion. Other than that, the post I quoted is totally right.

Actually, one of my favorite voicings I got from a Cynic song. Bdim7 (E-e) 78676x.

I find major triads to be quite common in metal. Thirds are often found in bass or vocals, or a simple major third dyad is used to imply a major chord.
its tricky cus the 5th is usually a very important note in metal but is best left out in jazz, and because a 4 note chord usually doesn't sound that good with distortion
a solution to the latter is to have the guitar play just 2 notes from the chord, but to pick the jazzy ones, often the guide tones are perfect for this
so lets say the bass plays the root, you play the 3rd and 7th, voila
same works with extensions, if you play say the 7th and 9th (3rds) or 7 and 13 (4ths)
it sounds enough like fusion, no?

furthermore ofcourse fusion is all about rhythm and syncopation, take an odd meter and play some metal stuff in strong syncopation

also learn to use the out-of-key notes to build some tension. now because this is fusion not all this tension needs to be released but thats the tricky part,
its often done with substitutions, resolving to their selves instead of the original chord
I don't really know much about the theory, but Candiria might be a good band to check out.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
My band has a song that is jazzy and metal. What we did was we just played metal with a swing and used jazz-ish progressions. We didn't use full chords though. I think that the most important aspect that made it sound jazzy was the drumming and the soloing, in both the actual notes played and the phrasing. If you can capture a jazz feel with those two, then you'll be able to create something that's at least slightly jazztastic.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by Avengethedeath
Recently I have been getting into some "Jazz Fusion" music. I have enjoyed Chris Polands work the most in particular (thanks to "Return to Metalopolis" and his Megadeth stuff). I really want to create some of this music but Im not quite sure how to meld the two and... well make it fuse. Everything I come up with is pretty much just jazz or just Hard rock/Metal. What should I do to create a heavily jazz influenced metal/hard rock peice, because I find it hard to meld the two. Possibly some suggestions from personal experience?

get experience with Jazz, Metal & Hard Rock....... then create some music based on your experience. It takes time.

From my experience, following a recipe to create a certain type of music, when you lack the experience, often ends up sounding cheezy. IMO, original music is best, when it comes from within the actual artist.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 19, 2009,
check out alex skolnick for jazzy metal leads. and of course alex skolnick trios covers of black sabbath songs like war pigs. (find in on yt)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Enslaved uses a fair amount of Jazz harmonies in their music (probably unintentionally, but still). Off the top of my head the songs Entroper and Isa do, and I'm sure there are others.

Another thing to think about is improvisation, as that's one of the defining characteristics of jazz music.