I can play simple songs on guitar by ear. By simple I mean really simple like Happy Birthday (kind've), beginning to Somewhere over the Rainbow, beginning of Smoke on the Water, etc. But I can't play songs that are at my skill level by ear so I resort to tabs or sheet music. I feel so 'dirty' when I use tabs or sheet music but I really don't have the aural skills to transcribe music that is at my technical/playing ability. Should I just keep going ahead learning songs by sheet/tabs and work hard on my aural ability/playing by ear? Or should I focus more on getting my ear up to par?
Learning by ear comes slowly but the more time you put in the faster it will come, tha said dont stop using tabs, if there's a fun song you really wanna learn then just grab the tab and learn it fast, there's nothing dirty about it, in fact its gonna help your technical skills more than learning by ear
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Do a lot of people have the problem of having their playing abilities exceed their transcribing abilities when they are a beginner/intermediate player?
I've been playing for upwards 8 months and my Technical ability is waaaaaay beyond my ability to transcribe.
Quote by Xnipes
Do a lot of people have the problem of having their playing abilities exceed their transcribing abilities when they are a beginner/intermediate player?

Pretty much everyone who doesn't already have musical experience and didn't teach themselves strictly through transcription (very rare today thanks to the intertubes) will have this problem.
i don't know why i feel so dry