I need some serious opinions, this is the most I have ever been willing to spend on an instrument. I was wondering if anyone here had one, and if you have any criticisms or complaints about it, and maybe if you could recommend something substantially better in the £669 price range? Also, I was wondering if anyone could find a high quality YouTube video of the bass, as all the one's I've found have been webcam mic recordings...

How god damn sexy is that?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A common sentiment you'll find is that before the price hikem they were extremely good value for money. With the price hike, you can get better Fenders for nearly the same amount of cash.

pretty much thats all there is to say on the subject.

also try it out, the neck is tiny, some love it and to them it's the best bass in the world some like myself don't. If you fall into the don't category then the Fender Marcus Miller Jazz shits all over this bass in every conceivable way
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
please get friendly with the search tab prettymuch all that has to be said about it has already been said and it's been out for 4 years and theres about 3 threads on it a week for 4 years .. seriously
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by skater dan0
pretty much thats all there is to say on the subject.

also try it out, the neck is tiny, some love it and to them it's the best bass in the world some like myself don't. If you fall into the don't category then the Fender Marcus Miller Jazz shits all over this bass in every conceivable way

The MM shits on almost every other Jazz bass in existance.

If you dead set on getting a Geddy Lee bass, try and find a used one. A new one just ins't worth it anymore.
the neck is sticky to me. play it before you buy.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
eh. this is what i did. went to www.rondomusic.com, ordered a SX jazz bass that looked almost exactly like the geddy lee modal but for like $180. wait a week or two. pull it out of the box in awe, and never want a geddy lee jazz bass again. the stuff on this site is the ****. unless you are craving that ultra-thin neck, forget about it. the price is way too high now.

the sx basses are nice and they wont let you down. they even rival some american made fenders
Quote by lavaxtris1
eh. this is what i did. went to www.rondomusic.com, ordered a SX jazz bass that looked almost exactly like the geddy lee modal but for like $180. wait a week or two. pull it out of the box in awe, and never want a geddy lee jazz bass again. the stuff on this site is the ****. unless you are craving that ultra-thin neck, forget about it. the price is way too high now.

the sx basses are nice and they wont let you down. they even rival some american made fenders

How in the world did you justify even saying that let alone thinking it?

EDIT: I'm sorry if I'm rude but that just blew my mind. I've played an SX and yes, it was quite good for the price but not as good as you say.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by BladeSlinger
How in the world did you justify even saying that let alone thinking it?

EDIT: I'm sorry if I'm rude but that just blew my mind. I've played an SX and yes, it was quite good for the price but not as good as you say.

they are definatley as good as i say they are. of course, you cant get them made like they used to. they got rid of the old models on the site and now they are replaced by crappy models. SX is not "good for the price" its just good in general.
I got myself a Geddy a could years ago and I barely play any other bass. I highly recommend one, try it first though its not everyones cup of tea.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
It's a very good bass, and i do think you get a bass thats worth the money. If you ever want to go active you can always throw in a j retro.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
i played the geddy and loved it. i do agree that it is a bit overpriced, but i guess thats really how a lot of fenders are. i also agree that the neck feels great- and i usually hate gloss necks. very smooth
Gear:

Yamaha RBX 550

Hartke Model 5000

Quote by the humanity
unless you are 21st level, you are not having epic problems.
The Geddy Lee sig is one of the few Fender Sigs I would have considered putting down cash for. But now this and the Urge II seem a bit too high on the cost side for my tastes. Fender puzzles me--the economies tank and they raise prices. Oh well...
The Geddy Lee went up in price when the U.S. economy tanked because it is made in the Fender Custom Shop in Japan. The dollar weakened big time against the Yen and the Geddy shot up from $700.00 to about $1,200.00. That's the global economy for you.

It is rather difficult to justify it at that price unless you are thoroughly sold on the thin neck. Beyond that, it is just a 1972 Jazz bass with a Badass II bridge - just like Geddy Lee's bass.

It looks like Fender is trying to bring the prices of its Japanese-built instruments down somewhat, but the Geddy Lee is still hovering at around a grand. I am fortunate to have bought one back when they could be had for $600.00 out the door.

And as others have pointed out, there must be more than a hundred threads on this bass floating around on the forum. Check them out, and then go and play one and decide whether you like it or not.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^however, if they sit on the shelf and less go out the door, that's bad economic sense. My local shop has had two sitting on the racks since the beginning of the price hike.
^^ lol thread revival this thread is like 2 months old lol
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by anarkee
^however, if they sit on the shelf and less go out the door, that's bad economic sense. My local shop has had two sitting on the racks since the beginning of the price hike.

This is the problem with instrument companies like Fender and Gibson, and why people are just starting to give them the middle finger now. They don't understand economics. Raising prices is going to hurt them in the long run because less people will be buying now.

We're in a broken economy and people have less money now, so lets sky rocket prices and have them gather dust on shelves..thats awesome business planning right there.

I had planned on buying a MIM p bass for the tune of $450 balloons until they shot up to almost $800. F u c k it now...
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
i do know that before many people bought gibsons JUST because they were the most expensive and so people just asumed they were better for this reason. and fender got the finger because they were thought of as lesser to gibson. maybe that explains the price hike? i can't think of any other reason other then suply is low
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
maybe that explains the price hike? i can't think of any other reason other then suply is low

More bad economic times and a weak market then anything else. Instrument retailers are moving less guitars and basses, so the price goes up for those who do buy them in order to make ends meet.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Plus, guitars and basses don't go out of date, so there's less of an incentive for a music shop to go for the 'stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap' method. Selling two basses at $1000 in a month isn't much worse than selling three at $700, and there's no guarantee that you'll actually sell any more by knocking prices down, particularly at the high-quality end of the market (who impulse buys a MIA Fender just because it's a couple of hundred dollars cheaper?)
^ actually a lot of music shops stock tons of cheaper guitars and basses and starter packs (Squiers, Epiphones, low-end Ibanez, cheap Corts, etc.) because the biggest market for guitars and basses is beginners. Stores make a lot more money selling a ton of $150 basses then selling one or two $1000+ basses. Plus its more reliable income selling cheap beginner stuff
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Yeah, that's entirely true, but we're talking about the big, expensive basses. Making them a little bit cheaper isn't likely to increase sales all that much, because they're still really expensive. They'll still be selling lots of cheap beginner basses, but won't alter the pricing on the top end stuff.
"If you dead set on getting a Geddy Lee bass, try and find a used one. A new one just isn't worth it anymore."
I agree. I paid $600+ for mine about 3 years ago; the current street price is ludicrous.