hi

i used to think when writing my own stuff all you have to do is get a backing track and apply a scale to it. but when i watched a lesson for friedman made me really confused .he said something about using only the notes from the chords in the backing track.is that another method ? and is scales are another method ?im lost

halp !
"It's peace at last, or peace at least"
the notes from those backing tracks are going to be the notes in the scale you play. essentially his way is to show you which notes to play in all situations.. there are other notes that can be played but that all depends with what degrees of the scale your chords come from...

to answer your question theyre 2 different ways to find basically the same notes, obviously some notes wont be used in the chords of a backing track but those are for you to find simply by figuring out what scale matches the backing track
Quote by Unispex
Who said anything about needing a backing track to write music?

well a backing track makes it easier for me
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
the notes from those backing tracks are going to be the notes in the scale you play. essentially his way is to show you which notes to play in all situations.. there are other notes that can be played but that all depends with what degrees of the scale your chords come from...

to answer your question theyre 2 different ways to find basically the same notes, obviously some notes wont be used in the chords of a backing track but those are for you to find simply by figuring out what scale matches the backing track

thank you that helped alot

edit:do you have yo change scale position as the chords change?
Last edited by shadow-guitar at Oct 18, 2009,
no, you dont have to change scale position unless you change keys, and you dont even have to then if you know your scales well enough... think of it this way, there are only 7 notes, so all the notes are around your hand, no matter where you are on the guitar.